No announcement yet.

Living life 12 plugs at a time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do it yourself, I've done it stacks of times. Carby cleaner or whatever in the back, tap it on the bench while you tap the wires on a battery. Works 99% of the time.

Comment

hopefully the coilpacks are all good, that's the next thing to test
      1988 AW11 9A-GTE - Turbo Missile | 2004 Elise K20A - N/A Screamer | 1984 MA61 1JZ-GTE - 80s Cruiser

Comment

Tried 12v in short bursts, no luck. Blasted some contact cleaner at them, no luck. Committed the cardinal sin and threw them in boiling water for a couple of minutes....winner! Gave them a hit with contact cleaner afterwards then put them back in the rail and cycled some fuel through them so *should* be fine. Dneg suggested afterwards maybe hot fuel would of been the better option to soak them in but hey whatever works....

Comment

I wonder if one of those ultrasonic jewellery cleaners filled with fuel instead of water would do the trick too?

Comment

Originally posted by Ribfeast View Post
            I wonder if one of those ultrasonic jewellery cleaners filled with fuel instead of water would do the trick too?
            Pulsing the injectors while submerged in a ultra sonic is common. They use a solvent for cleaning.

Boiling water as an option is outstanding :D

Comment

I actually have an ultrasonic cleaner and 5L of cleaning solution I got from AFI when Cooldrive bought them out lol

Comment

i would definitely get those injectors flow tested before we try run the car in any level of anger
                1988 AW11 9A-GTE - Turbo Missile | 2004 Elise K20A - N/A Screamer | 1984 MA61 1JZ-GTE - 80s Cruiser

Comment

Car is being a cunt, having trigger and timing issues.
                  Lots of backfiring and all that cool shit.

Comment

Dodgy crank/cam angle sensor/s?

Comment

Not sure, having a heap of confusing moments. Pulled the plugs and 6 were fowled and the other six were just wet with fuel. Tested all the ignition outputs and the coils and leads are fine.

It's setup as a 1JZ vvti running sequential ignition which is actually batch fired on the v12 so it should be firing all the outputs in the easter spark firing order we have which is correct.

Had issues with the timing light etc Just not one of those days where you have a win

Seems we know enough to get into trouble but not enough to get out yet lol

Comment

Yeh something is fuckin not right. Un-related to the car starting but the ecu isn't getting any signal from the RH cam sensor. Wiring checks out, yanked the sensor to test that and it seems fine too. May as well light the Link help guide on fire while I'm at it because it doesn't answer much in terms of how the ECU actually fires the fuel/ignition based on it's own settings. Gonna take a break for a few days and have a think.......

Comment

Well, that's a cunt. Mo cylinders, mo problems!
                          are they the same style sensor? its looking for a normal 1j pulse but getting a diff freq/ pulse or what ever you want to call it.?

Comment

I think Vito was using the scope function and it wasn't giving off any signal? (Vito will have to confirm that). Going to email off a copy of the tune to the guys I got the ecu off and see if they can spot anything obvious.

Comment

I can't definitively tell you if its the same style sensor because we havent pulled the cam covers off to confirm. We are running off assumptions from other threads out there that say the trigger system is identical to the vvti 1JZ, which is a 36-2 crank trigger and 3 tooth cam trigger, so that's how it's set up. Only difference is that this has two cam triggers where the 1JZ has one. (because two heads and two VVT cams to control..)

Couple different people have been playing with the wiring and ecu depending on who is available at the time which also adds to the confusion. About halfway through the day I found that we had two LH cam sensors configured in the ecu, and no RH cam sensor. So that would have been fucking with the timing. Fixed that, then started calibrating the cam trigger offset, LH cam trigger offset calibration happened fine. RH didnt, because there was no signal. That's how I figured there was an issue with the RH cam sensor.

Checked the wiring, all tested fine. Foamy checked the cam sensor itself and it was in spec. So NFI why it wasnt registering a signal in the ecu.

There is another thing I realised later in the day, which is that even though the timing light is showing TDC, we could still have the crank 360deg out, so we need to change the crank trigger offset by 360deg and test again. But still, the lack of signal from the RH cam trigger worries me. Nonetheless, it should still run on just the LH cam trigger, the second cam reset should only matter for VVT as far as I understand
                              Last edited by trdee; 11-01-21, 11:04 AM.

Comment

swapped the LH and RH trigger pins around at the ECU header to determine if the issue is with the sensor/loom/ecu?

Comment

Working...
                                X