Project IBIS.... AKA the bin chicken JZX81

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Project IBIS.... AKA the bin chicken JZX81

Anyway, thought i would make a build thread for the car i'm currently working on.

Goal of this car is pretty much a fuck around street/drift car.

so i purchased this car from Tassie sight unseen after what was described as interior is complete, and damaged repaired, had it shipped over and friend picked it up and the 1st msg I got was "do you know the condition of this car" lol so hopes had been smashed a little.

The car was very cheap even after postage and well people who know JZX81's know there is only a handful in the country so i was ok with it i guess.

As you can see in the pictures just about every panel on the car has issue's, the front rad support is fucked, strut rail passenger side fucked, dash items are all cracked or have holes in them. wires chopped just about everywhere and random shit missing. holes drilled into floor for battery and fire extinguisher, seats missing, seatbelts missing, just about everything LOL.

i never had huge plans for this car, was going to turn it into the race car but i already have another JZX81 with weld in cage, tubbed front, etc so returning that one to stock seemed like more work than to just fix this one. so, I started the repair process.

Purchased wreck with brown trim with intention of using rad support and so on.

Purchased some seat's

and started the process of putting this car back together

Purchased an Alpine head unit was on sale and double din and only $150 so jumped on it and it’s not like I need features it’s not a daily. Contacted friends and asked what parts they had available and got front bumper, found a spare headlight in my stash of parts and have purchased front indicator's and a RH side headlight to complete all the lights. I have guards although flared i will probably run them.

Engine wise it will get just about everything from my "race car JZX81"

so HKS built 1JZ, Radiator, intercooler, GT3240 etc. I will post pictures up of it when i finishing putting the pulley kit and DBW swap on it.

so overall, i hate the car and don’t mind denting it and so on as it will pretty much be a practice car and getting scrap parts i have had in storage over the years and will be the test mule for the race car.

lesson learnt, don’t buy a car sight unseen LOL.
    Last edited by ROBAPHENT; 26-08-20, 02:10 PM.
    CISCOKIDS
    The Gentlemen's Club
    Midnight Rocker

That's one heck of a project you got yourself into there!

Looking forward to updates.
    Norbie!

Comment

Originally posted by Norbie View Post
      That's one heck of a project you got yourself into there!

Looking forward to updates.
      in all honesty, if i did not have another JZX81 sitting next to it i would have rage quit by now. but after playing with X8's for a good 10 years it has made life easy when it comes to this car. i'm just doing what i can at the moment and when time comes i will prob have a fabrication weekend and do the front end of this car and finish off the rear IRS in the X3.
      CISCOKIDS
      The Gentlemen's Club
      Midnight Rocker

Comment

Race car parts in give-no-fucks shell? Sounds perfect.

Comment

So no real update on this, more problem-solving. I was currently trying to work out how I can get 4 point ABS sensors working and retrofitting something. I'm looking into Bosch/Continental Motorsport ABS packages and using the sensors will allow me to take better control using the Emtron KV8 with things like launch control/traction control etc.

So here is stock X8 upright then X100 (upside down) both seem to be 100% the same and my control arms bolt up to it. just the X100 has the port for the speed sensor.

Trying to find a driveshaft that will work, this is a mix of JZX81, IS300, IS200 and JZX81 (Yamaha), JZA70 and X83, spoke to the driveshaft shop and it is possible to mix and match ends, but I would want to be close to knowing what will fit, as it will cost a bit each time. I guess I could learn to do it myself, but that is a lot of rebuilding of perfectly fine axles.

Probably pointless to the rest of you, but maybe someone works in the industry or knows a bit more about CVs etc.

X100 and IS seem to have this style of bearing

and X8,A7 have

measurements of the outer CV
          X8

X9 (assume the same as X100?)

That is pretty much where I'm at with working this out, with lockdown it is hard as I can't go to the local CV joint workshop and ask for help.

The Interior is all in, a little issue with what seems the head unit is too large and not allowing me to bolt radio surround. But im going to re-look at this as I also forgot to hook up the reverse wire to allow my reverse camera to work. Yes, I installed a camera because after having it, it is hard to go without lol.

The engine has been wheeled out, to start preparation of getting it ready. Exhaust manifold went off to get EGT bungs welded on, got a Rebuild kit for the wastegate, and the intake manifold is off to get machined down to look neater and a Bosch DBW throttle body adaption. So hopefully once lockdown is over I can go pick these items up and fit them, then it will just be a case of throwing all the bolt on's and a couple of little things like alternation relocation and sensor upgrades.

CISCOKIDS
          The Gentlemen's Club
          Midnight Rocker

Comment

So a bit of progress on this.

Had a local come check it out, worked out a deal to get some fabrication work done. so the front will be repaired (new rad support not tube front)

in doing so, I picked up an S14 240SX cross member this then lead me to buy a rack, get the new Ciscokids street knuckles. (Essentially Tezuka freedom street knuckles. got with his permission to build) and Started working on LCA Design for another Ciscokids product. as the whole reason for this car was R&D to offer more products to my customers

so other than needing caster rods and an upgrade in suspension from the key office to shock works. the front end of this thing will be complete I have everything else.
            CISCOKIDS
            The Gentlemen's Club
            Midnight Rocker

Comment

So small updates, had Jeff at Motorsport Engineering Services clean up my manifold and set it up for a 70mm Bosch motorsport DBW TB. it involved welding up the old holes and cleaning up the plenum flange to suit the extra diameter. the manifold is currently at the powder coater getting cleaned up, will be good to see how it all turns out. hopefully, in the next couple of months, I will have the engine complete and ready to be fitted.

​​​​​​​
              Car is off to get some fabrication work done at 21Fab, starting off with the fitting rear wide body, so repair huge holes in old wheel tub to boot. clean it all up to allow larger wheel/tire combo's. once this is done the car will come back home while I work out what I will do for the front end. only one company seems to be making Caster rods at the moment and they are junk.

I run bearing front end and not the standard rubber mount. this will result in the binding of some designs. below is just some paint designs quick idea's. so far im going to see how far off AE86 Arms are. As i have a set here and if it only requires me to drill one hole then I might go that route for now.

CISCOKIDS
              The Gentlemen's Club
              Midnight Rocker

Comment

Chop Chop

CISCOKIDS
                The Gentlemen's Club
                Midnight Rocker

Comment

Any updates on this mate?

Comment

Slowly progressing. this has been slow more due to the waiting of parts and getting other things sorted.

first, I had the rear 1/4s fitted some time ago but have not finished off the fitment due to needing my doors, did not have the doors as I was busy moulding them to make lightweight doors for my other project 81. (buildthreadcomingsoon.exe) now that is done I will fit the door's and clean up the 1/4s for perfect fitment. other hold-ups have been in regards to working with Chromoly for my rear arms.

but what i now have is

my PGS dogbox, stockworks coil overs, my custom 40mm RCAs (prototype in the picture) and a lot of loose ends to fix up.

rear 1/4 and 30+ mm wider flare

FPR Door.

PGS Dog gearset

Shockworks coils

and the R&D going into the suspension the arms are probably overkilled, and I will prob not end up selling any but if im putting my name to it, I would rather have it the best quality I can. this does not mean I might not bring out a lesser quality version under another brand. the RCA's had been spot on, but i was stupid for getting the prototypes made in what i wanted the finished product to be in as essentially this will not get used and are pure to test fitment etc. but lesson learnedt.

CISCOKIDS
                    The Gentlemen's Club
                    Midnight Rocker

Comment

Forgot to add, there is also progress in the 4P ABS Sensor retrofit.

just waiting for some parts to land and I will trail fit but im pretty confident I have worked it all out using off the shelf Toyota parts.
                      CISCOKIDS
                      The Gentlemen's Club
                      Midnight Rocker

Comment

So no major updates. have not really had the push to work on the car much with my own kid, been just enjoying time with her. however, in the background, i have been designing parts etc. i doubt any real work will get done to this in 2021 other then designing of parts.

so finally finished version of the above RCA's

CISCOKIDS
                        The Gentlemen's Club
                        Midnight Rocker

Comment

The look slick as fuck, mate

What material are they made out of?

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Ree View Post
                            The look slick as fuck, mate

What material are they made out of?
                            6061 T6 aluminium