No announcement yet.

The Orange Eyesore - 1977 RA23 Celica

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've got a couple of w55s sitting in the back of my shed if you need some backups at the right price (free). Bought a few spare for my 1uz when it was manual but never managed to break one.

Comment

Originally posted by GNGBNG View Post
      Looks like you may need to invest in pallet racks to organise your shit and maximise your shed space.
      I definitely need some sort of storage solution. Believe me it is on the list!

Originally posted by psi999 View Post
      I've got a couple of w55s sitting in the back of my shed if you need some backups at the right price (free). Bought a few spare for my 1uz when it was manual but never managed to break one.
      Ooh! PM sent.
      Norbie!

Comment

It was a very productive day in the shed today. I decided I wanted the old 18R-G out, so I got to work. First I had to get the bonnet off, but with no helpers today I had to get a bit creative:

I had to laugh at how many fucks were given (approx. none) when this thing was put together! But at least it comes apart easily:

Might as well get the bumper and guards out of the way:

And out it comes:

It's a surprisingly heavy lump, I reckon the 2JZ isn't much heavier:

Look at all that filth I get to clean up:

Pretty happy with the outcome though:

The plan from here is to get the engine bay cleaned up, remove everything that needs to be replaced or doesn't need to be there (eg most of the wiring!), then shove the new engine in there along with the W55 I'll be picking up next weekend. My longer term plan is to get the new mechanicals sorted, then pull it all apart again and send the shell off to the panel shop. Slightly different approach to what I did with the Supra, but the Celica is such a simple beast I think it's easier to do it this way.

I'm trying not to get distracted by this too much though, I just want to get the new engine in its new home for now and then it's back to the Supra!
        Norbie!

Comment

I got the transmission and tailshaft out last night. No pics because everything I touch on this car is fucking filthy so I didn't want to go near my phone.

The hoist is in use so I had to do all this the old fashioned way, rolling around on the concrete with the car up on jack stands. Doing it the old fashioned way sucks, let's not do that again!

I also removed the wiring harnesses and fuel/brake lines from the engine bay, just need to get the brake master + booster out and the engine bay will be all clear for a good scrubbing. And believe me it needs a good scrubbing! I reckon oven cleaner will be involved.
          Norbie!

Comment

Just look at this filthy heavy lump:

I got it out by supporting it with two trolley jacks, unbolting the crossmember etc, then slowly lowering both jacks at the same time. Naturally it fell off the jacks almost immediately and nearly killed me in the process. Nothing seems to be damaged though. Now I need to figure out what I'm going to do with a spare W50.

So I continued getting the engine bay ready for cleaning, including removing the last of the brake/clutch lines and of course the wiring. The factory loom comes out easy, there are connectors hidden in a channel above the wheelarches, you just pull them apart and the whole lot comes out as two pieces. The ECU wiring was also pretty easy as past Norbie had done a decent job of using connectors where it joined up with the body loom. Here it is hanging up on the wall, it's actually not as ugly as I thought it was:

I don't think I'll end up re-using any of this when I upgrade to a Haltech Elite. I wonder if I can find anyone who wants an E6X + loom for an 18R-GEU? Probably a pretty small market!

Anyway with that sorted I did the old oven cleaner trick on the engine bay (thanks again to tim510 for that tip) and it's now clean enough that I can work on or near the car without immediately becoming black with filth. The paint is still fucked of course but it will be getting a full respray before it goes back on the road.

Before:

After:

With all the crust gone I could get a good look at the paint that was damaged from a brake fluid leak. It's obviously been like that for a while because it's quite rusty in that area now:

Getting the paint/panel work done is potentially years away so I should probably do something to address this now. So I think the next job is to remove the steering box etc, scrape off the surface rust with a wire wheel, and cover all the bare metal with whatever rattle cans I happen to have lying around. It doesn't have to be pretty, just not rust any more!
            Last edited by Norbie; 30-10-19, 10:15 AM.
            Norbie!

Comment

Oh and speaking of ECU upgrades, I thought I'd investigate the throttle body situation since I happen to have a Bosch 68mm DBW throttle body on the shelf waiting to go on the 2JZ.

The original throttle is 60mm:

The Bosch throttle is noticeably larger but not ludicrously so:

A fairly simple adaptor plate would get them joined up, I could probably even fabricate it myself:

It seems Bosch make a 60mm version though, so I'll probably end up getting one of them:

https://www.bosch-motorsport-shop.co...body-60mm-bore

Anyway this is all way off in the future stuff, I was just a bit curious.
              Norbie!

Comment

So I wanted to get the steering box out of the way so I can deal with the rust in that area. To do that I needed to pull the steering column out, and to do that I wound up having to disassemble most of the dash:

I didn't intend to disassemble the interior this much (at least not yet) but here we are! It was instructive though, I now know what condition my dash is in: it's fucked. Most of the plastic bits are falling apart, lots of stuff cracked or missing. Dashpad is in shocking condition, but the good news there is that someone down south is making fibreglass reproductions. Not sure what I'll do about the rest though!

Anyway I did what I needed to do and the steering box is out of the way now. I also got rid of a few other things, including chopping off the fuel lines which I'll be replacing with bigger lines at some point in future:

Plenty of access now, so I can get started removing all that rust later today:

There was a slight problem when removing the steering box - it was held on with three studs on the chassis rail, but in the photo above you can see only two. One of them seems to have disappeared! I think there was a captive nut inside the rail which broke off when I attacked it with a rattle gun. Not sure how I'm going to deal with that when the steering box goes back on?

I also found this treasure trapped under the steering box, haven't seen one of these in a while:

Probably worth more than the rest of the car at this point.
                Norbie!

Comment

That looks remarkably immaculate, particularly for a 70's Celica!.

I see you're having the same arguments with your past self I am. 'Who the fuck did that and what were they thinking?'. Oh, wait....

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Purple View Post
                    I see you're having the same arguments with your past self I am. 'Who the fuck did that and what were they thinking?'. Oh, wait....
                    LOL yep, lots of that happened with the Supra but x10 with this thing. But not very surprising when you consider I started tinkering with it just out of my teens, when I was poor and didn't have any proper tools and generally had no idea what I was doing.

Little wonder that I've decided to throw away basically everything apart from the bare shell and start again!
                    Norbie!

Comment

rack and peanut conversion for you now
                      www.holditflat.com

Comment

Yeah that's what I was thinking when I looked at the condition of the steering gear, and I imagine most of the parts are no longer available. I'll have to research my options at some point, I think I remember something about adapting KE70 Corolla bits somehow? But KE70's are getting hard to find so...
                        Norbie!

Comment

Great project! Anything 70's and Jap has my interest. Really impressed you kept it all this time and have some cool parts collected ready for the build. If you would like to part with a W50 steel case I would be interested.
                          1971 Mazda 1300 Estate Deluxe 1500cc Twin SU - 1979 Mazda RX7 12APP - 1994 Mazda Familia GTR - 1973 Mazda 1300 Wagon

Comment

Originally posted by Norbie View Post
                            Yeah that's what I was thinking when I looked at the condition of the steering gear, and I imagine most of the parts are no longer available. I'll have to research my options at some point, I think I remember something about adapting KE70 Corolla bits somehow? But KE70's are getting hard to find so...
                            If you're willing to road trip up to Gladstone I have a ke70 sitting at my place that I bush bashed to death and then used for target practice. It's a bit of a drive for a rusty nugget but for the massive purchase price of $0.00 could be worth it for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Eeyore View Post
                              Great project! Anything 70's and Jap has my interest. Really impressed you kept it all this time and have some cool parts collected ready for the build.
                              Thanks! It's one rare case of my stubbornness paying off.

Originally posted by Eeyore View Post
                              If you would like to part with a W50 steel case I would be interested.
                              Cool, I'll keep you in mind but I'll probably keep it around until the W55 conversion is done and dusted, and who knows how long that will take!

Originally posted by Bridgey View Post
                              If you're willing to road trip up to Gladstone I have a ke70 sitting at my place that I bush bashed to death and then used for target practice. It's a bit of a drive for a rusty nugget but for the massive purchase price of $0.00 could be worth it for you.
                              Thanks for the generous offer! I might hit you up when I get around to that part of the project, but again this could be quite a ways off.
                              Norbie!

Comment

Meanwhile, some quick and dirty rust repairs. The goal here is to prevent further rust from occurring in the engine bay where I had a brake fluid leak, but absolute minimum effort as I'm getting this whole thing resprayed eventually.

So, I got the wire wheel out and scraped off all the damaged paint and rust. I was pleased to see it was all fairly minor surface rust, no real penetration anywhere:

Quick hit of primer:

I didn't have any orange paint in the shed, but I did have plenty of black:

I'm calling that done. Now I can put the steering box + column back so I can actually steer this thing when I need to move it around. Oh and that thing I mentioned earlier about a mounting stud disappearing? Turns out I'm an idiot, it's actually just a very long bolt which goes all the way through the chassis rail and it had slid out the other side.

Next step is to get the built 18R-G mounted along with the W55 I'm picking up this weekend. And that will pretty much be all I want to do on the car at this stage, it can go back into hibernation until the Supra is back on the road. Or at least that's what I'm telling myself...
                                Norbie!

Comment

Working...
                                X