X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Norbie
    replied
    Yes, mostly memories of shitty DOS software and agonisingly slow serial interfaces.

They're pretty easy to wire up though!

Leave a comment:

• tim510
    replied
    the mighty e6k / e6x, ah memories.

Leave a comment:

• Norbie
    replied
    Thanks for the info, that's good to know! Was probably a total lag monster on a 2L engine.

Leave a comment:

• Xnke
    replied
    The TC06-17C was the same turbo fitted to the GMC Syclones and Typhoons, so it was good enough for a 4.3L V6 in a hot pickup truck in 1991.

Leave a comment:

• Norbie
    replied
    Someone on faceballs asked me about 18R-G EFI maps and I offered to send a copy of the map out of my old Haltech E6X setup. I was sure I had it saved somewhere in my archives but after much searching I could only find the old E6K maps for the Supra, nothing E6X related anywhere. So I had no option but to dig out the old E6X and loom, ghetto rig it on the bench and plug it in to my ancient laptop which is the last bit of hardware I have left which can talk to an RS232 serial port:

It took me fucking ages to get that laptop up and running with the Haltech tuning software etc but I got there in the end and was able to extract the tuning map as created by Matt Spry at PITS some 15+ years ago. It's now safely archived on OneDrive, so in the unlikely event that anyone wants to see a working map for a stock 18R-G, here it is:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AnXBOBq81lxgi-Uf...iqwNQ?e=8GeqQZ

You're welcome.

Leave a comment:

• 9triton
    replied
    I managed to get one out after trying to twist it out. just ended up with a rooted stub of steel . So cut it flush to the housing , got a tap and cut a thread inside the pipe. put a big socket over the stub , screwd in a bolt thru the socket. With a nut on it. Held the bolt still and tightened the nut down onto the socket and managed to draw the stub out ,up into the socket. ie like a puller. Took about 3 hrs to get All that shit done in the engine bay. And about 30 secs to tap the new steel pipe back in. ...mazda....
    Last edited by 9triton; 21-03-20, 07:43 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Norbie
    replied
    Yeah dissimilar metals in the cooling system doesn't seem like the best idea. Hopefully I can get the steel pipe out without destroying the housing, but we shall see.

Leave a comment:

• 9triton
    replied
    Yeah those push in steel pipes.in the water tpump and cooling system. Are the devils work. Just going thru sons 20 year old car as the sequentially get rust pinholes in the steel pipes. And i get a call ' dad its over heating'

Planned obsolescence...

Leave a comment:

• Mr Ree
    replied
    Nothing quite like the smell of NOS parts

Leave a comment:

• Norbie
    replied
    Hey I've got a reason to update this thread! Recently on facebook I saw something pop up for sale that I never thought I'd see, some NOS front indicator lenses for an RA23/28 Celica. The price was reasonable so I jumped on them immediately! Here they are:

And compared with my original 43 year old lenses they look a whole lot better:

I'm slowly building up my collection of new bits for this car, I'll have a bunch of stuff ready to go when the project starts for real!

Leave a comment:

• Norbie
    replied
    I was bored the other day so I decided to investigate the water pump situation on the 18R-G. The new engine doesn't have one, the old one obviously does but fuck knows how old it is, maybe I can re-use it and maybe not. Let's have a look:

LOL yeah nah that's looking a bit crusty. I could probably salvage it but it looks like you can still buy new replacements (the same part is used on certain Hilux models) so I should probably do that.

I really don't like that bypass pipe sticking out the side of the housing though, so I'm thinking I might pop that out and tap the hole so I can use some sort of AN fitting. Hose clamps piss me off!

Leave a comment:

• Norbie
    replied
    Or, not enough projects?

Not much happened over the weekend, but I did manage to install the new front engine mounts/isolators. The ones they sent me are labelled 90-94 Hilux and they are visually quite different:

Seemed to work though, except that the locating pins don't quite fit so it doesn't sit right. I should be able to fix that with a drill but for now I'm calling it done:

The car is off the hoist now and replaced with the Supra. I just have to try not to get distracted by it for a while, there's so many things I want to get stuck into immediately but I need to be patient!

Leave a comment:

• Nitephyre
    replied
    So many projects!

Leave a comment:

• Norbie
    replied
    I really should have been fixing my daily but I worked on this today instead. The new rubber mounts arrived this morning so I decided to finish off the rear gearbox mount. First I needed to fabricate a couple of brackets, which consisted of a short length of 50mm angle cut into two flat bars with holes drilled in:

This allowed me to mount the crossmember to the factory mount points even though it doesn't line up properly:

It looks a bit sketchy but I did exactly the same thing in the Supra 15 odd years ago and the transmission never fell out despite my best efforts.

The cool thing about the W50 to W58 conversion is it has the same input/output shaft dimensions and the same overall length, so the original tailshaft slots right in:

With that done I was able to drop the car back on its wheels, and I'm basically done with this project for a little while:

I had a quick look at the shifter from inside the car, it's not terrible but I still want to fix this later:

You can see where I cut and bent the floorpan out of the way at the back (a bit more bending is required), and you can also see I'd done something similar on the other side. That was from the original W50 conversion circa mid 90's, because the car was originally auto and the hole is different for manuals. I was hoping the shifter location I'm using here would line up exactly like the old one but it looks like I need something 30-40mm further forward to get it smack in the middle of that hole. Hopefully I can find something but that can wait.

One last thing I want to do, lift the engine a bit and replace the rubber isolators with the new ones that arrived this morning. Should be a pretty quick job, then it's back to the Supra! Oh, I guess I should fix the Soarer first, but we'll see how disciplined I am.
    Last edited by Norbie; 21-11-19, 08:01 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Norbie
    replied
    My new drill set arrived so I was able to modify the W58 bellhousing and get it bolted up to the engine:

It all seems to be fine in that regard, but the shifter was a bit of a challenge:

That's the rear-most shifter position you can get on a W58 (excluding remote shifters) and it's a little too far back for the hole in my transmission tunnel. The other one I have is a mid-forward position and I'm pretty sure that will be too far forward, but I haven't tested it yet.

But I'm in a hurry to get this done so I can get the Celica off the hoist, so I broke out the hacksaw and hammer:

Now it fucken fits! I'll revisit this later, but for now this will do.

Next thing is to sort out the transmission crossmember. It bolts up to the W58 no worries, but it's a bit further back so only the front bolt holes in the crossmember line up with the rear holes in the floorpan. The recommended solution is to cut some flat bar and drill three holes to join it all together, so I'll try something like that. Then I can put the tailshaft back in and call it done, put the Supra upon the hoist and get back to that.

Oh and one other thing, I bought new front and rear rubber isolators for the engine + transmission so I should probably throw those in when they arrive today or tomorrow. But then I'm done I promise!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X