Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BGTV8's MGB GT V8 Roadie

Finally - after 14 years, we have this thing close to running sweetly.

Only need to speed the water pump up a bit as it runs hot at low engine speeds (but perfect over 3000rpm), and fit a burp-tank into the cooling circuit and adjust the ride heights a bit (too low at the rear and maybe soften the front sprint rate a bit).

Runs a 4.3 litre Rover and Super T-10 box with a Borg-Warner floater rear and 16 x 8" wheels - is on 225/50R16 but is a bit short of tyre (lays rubber in 2nd and chirps in 3rd) so looking for 245/45R16's I think.

Dyno sheet is healthy enough for a 940kg car ..............

Build Details:

Engine is full of life-expired race engine bits ……..
    4-bolt Rover block, originally 4.2 litre
    UK-sourced steel crank 3.03 inch stroke with 94mm bore – Ross forged pistons to give 4270cc
    TRS “rally-spec” cam (goes into their TR7 V8 rally cars) with Rhoads hydraulic lifters (gives a natural rev-limit around 6000rpm as a safety factor given old race bits)
    Rover heads ported by Head Stud Development in Moorabbin with XU1 valves. TRS valve springs and retainers with Yella-Terra cradle-supported shaft mounted roller rockers
    Headers by Carline Exhaust in Ballarat – exit thru cut-outs in the inner guards – 1 and 5/8ths primaries 4-into-1 each side combining into a 3” system exiting at the rear of the car
    Three-stage dry-sump (2 scavenge, 1 pressure stage) with 8-litre oil tank in the battery box location behind the passenger seat

Induction
    4 Jenvey DCOE45 replacements on cross-over manifold from John Eales in the UK (used to be quad DCOE45 carbies)
    Haltech Elite 950 ECU

Driveline
    Gearbox: Borg-Warner Super T-10 close-ratio (2.20; 1.64; 1.31 and 1:1 top) with Speco shifter cut/shut to fit into the MGB tunnel
    Diff: Borg-Warner out of a Valiant ute, ROMAC floater kit (refugee from race car when I went negative camber rear diff about 16 years ago), Detroit locker centre, 3.5:1 gears

Front Suspension
    MGB Cross member – fabricated top and bottom arms to get camber adjustment, Bilstein shocks - MG coil location

Rear Suspension
    MGB Leaf-springs (uprated) with Bilstein shocks and an MSF Watts linkage. Track rods mounted on top of the diff where MG sway bar usually goes

Brakes
    Tilton pedal box
    Brembo 4-spot fronts (out of a 993 Turbo) over 32x323mm DBA rotors
    Nissan 2-spot rears (S15) over ?? (can't remember) rotors with Wilwood mechanical handbrake

Interior
    Stewart Warner instruments
    Pair of race seats, trimmed tunnel but untrimmed floors, carbon fibre door cards
    FABraications “speed event” cage
    90-litre ali fuel tank thru the floor with cover to seal it from the cockpit

Wheels: 16 x 8 Braid fitted with 225/50R16 – also have 16 x 8 “Minilight” centres with Whitehorse Industries spun halves which I will put 245/45R16 tyres onto as I’m a bit grip-limited at present

Paint is a Mazda colour - black with a bit of red in it ........... I have the code written down somewhere
    Attached Files
    Last edited by BGTV8; 30-12-19, 08:47 AM. Reason: Add build details

'Road car'...

Looks great Rob, but 'H' plates?!
    Classic Auto Fabrications:
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Class...88753937823811

http://www.lescollinsracing.com/

Comment

Nice!
      When too much horsepower is barely enough

Comment

Originally posted by Lurch View Post
        'Road car'...

Looks great Rob, but 'H' plates?!
        Got it registered in 2013 just before registering with a cage on H-plates became a problem ...........

Comment

That is really, really, neat. I’d love to read a bit of a write up about what’s it’s like to drive.
          "Beware the lollipop of mediocrity: lick it once and you'll suck forever" Brian Wilson

Comment

I love your idea of a road car. A++ carry on fine sir

Comment

i bet that sounds amazing.. don't mind the old rover V8's
              Originally posted by Walt Kowalski
              Memes are only detectable by NSA.

Comment

Originally posted by Cliffordcliffs View Post
                That is really, really, neat. I’d love to read a bit of a write up about what’s it’s like to drive.
                I would suggest one word.....

Exhilarating

Not sure if in a totally good way, a full in kill deathy way or a combination of both.

Carry on with the good work good sir....

Comment

Yeah, that looks like a ball of fun
                  I own a two and a half litre Commodore

Comment

I bet the induction noise is nice.
                    Are you sure the temperature issues aren't just a lack of shrouds on the fans? And, it is a bit hard to tell from the pictures, but are the blades on the correct way around for a pusher fan?

Comment

That's awesome!
                      pardon my somewhat ignorance, 4.2 Rover V8 as in of similar/same lineage & design as that in the 90's discoverys?
                      What kind of reliability/aftermarket support do they really have? I'd assume a decent amount ex-UK parts?

Comment

Originally posted by 138ci View Post
                        That's awesome!
                        pardon my somewhat ignorance, 4.2 Rover V8 as in of similar/same lineage & design as that in the 90's discoverys?
                        What kind of reliability/aftermarket support do they really have? I'd assume a decent amount ex-UK parts?
                        Support from Triumph Rover Spares in Adelaide has been brilliant.

I'll update the original post with a build sheet later today as there has been a bit of interest. Nothing else to do with the outside temps due today.

Comment

It looks like the rover fits quite well. You only had to remove the engine bay brace thingy behind the radiator?
                          "Beware the lollipop of mediocrity: lick it once and you'll suck forever" Brian Wilson

Comment

Originally posted by elfturbomax View Post
                            I bet the induction noise is nice.
                            Are you sure the temperature issues aren't just a lack of shrouds on the fans? And, it is a bit hard to tell from the pictures, but are the blades on the correct way around for a pusher fan?
                            Yeah the blades are not facing the right way.
                            I climbed Mt Druitt

Comment

Originally posted by Cliffordcliffs View Post
                              It looks like the rover fits quite well. You only had to remove the engine bay brace thingy behind the radiator?
                              The factory made 2600 of the B GT V8 in the 70's, so they fit neatly if you have a later model shell ('72 onwards)

Comment

Working...
                              X