Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HSV Senator View Post

Thanks! The GTO 6.0 are really nice cars! I personally knew a lot of the Sydney crew from ls1.com.au back when these HSV coupe and Monaro cars were new and they all sold them off after 3-5 years (a number of them moved on to AMG C63). All of them I've caught up with say they regret selling them. They seem to have an appeal that transcends their humble origins. However, I'm not surprised about your carsales comments!
    I remember when ls1.com.au was a super busy forum. All the maf vs mafless arguments !

Comment

Originally posted by the big fist View Post

I remember when ls1.com.au was a super busy forum. All the maf vs mafless arguments !
      And should afr's be measured pre or post cat...

Comment

Good thread. Like the engine / cam discussions.

Comment

I like these things I am a bit biased thoughClick image for larger version

Name:	E4F487E4-BDE7-4BDF-AB3F-BC66B7721679.jpeg
Views:	491
Size:	753.7 KB
ID:	7101953

Comment

Originally posted by the big fist View Post

Those were the days! Mind you, after so many years of running Mafless, I am going back to a MAF! A bigger one though.
            Last edited by HSV Senator; 08-01-20, 03:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 9triton View Post
              Good thread. Like the engine / cam discussions.
              Thanks. I have found the cam stuff quite fascinating. Obviously I was running a cam way smaller than anything other people normally ran so I had a different view of things to most punters. The most interesting part to me is that the 5.7 LS1 was always criticised for its lack of low down performance, something that the 6.0 and 6.3 LS motors solved. However, using a smaller cam with 3.9 gears and a smaller exhaust, this was not an issue at all. Lots of low down performance and a great mid range. Just not as much top end for strip blasting. It also had the benefit of higher negative overlap which meant no out of control lope, which I hate. I think with the LS1, people were sticking in huge cams which pushed the power band higher. To negate this, they started running cams with lots of overlap (which some people love) but they are harder to tune and not smooth. All depends on what you like and your goals I guess.

I remember going to the Dyno day at CHE, run by Dale, back in the day when 300 rwkw was considered amazing power rather than a big disappointment like now Lots of LS1.com.au cars there with various combos. All bigger cams than mine and the majority sounding aggressive as. They were all pushing out around between 240 and 270 rwkw. Then my very quiet and unassuming car was backed on to the dyno and spat out 294 rwkw. There was a collective, "woah!" from the group. No one believed it could be such a small cam and basic combo. Turns out the cam was even smaller too

Comment

Originally posted by red View Post
                I like these things I am a bit biased thoughClick image for larger version

Name:	E4F487E4-BDE7-4BDF-AB3F-BC66B7721679.jpeg
Views:	491
Size:	753.7 KB
ID:	7101953
                Biased in the best way possible :D Your car looks great! Is there a thread on it?

Comment

Digging through some old files to move to cloud, I found a pic of my first V8 (my Monaro being my 3rd), HSV VP Senator 5000i. I only actually sold it (at a big loss) because as a young guy I couldn't get Insurance on it when the industry tightened up back in the day. It went over to WA but I lost track of where it ended up, hopefully still in one piece as it was in immaculate condition when I sold it.

-February 1994 delivered, build number 136 of 136
                  -Fully resprayed in factory Cantebury Blue, I think there was only 2 made in this colour
                  -Rebuilt 355ci motor (Harrop Stroker, balanced and blueprinted, high flowed heads, Larry Perkins Cam etc)
                  -Tuned by SAS (not as well as the original Injection Perfection tune unfortunately)
                  -Modified auto with 2500 stall, corvette parts, Kevlar bands etc
                  -Modified 3.7 diff and big brakes
                  -Adjustable Koni/king/kmac suspension
                  -Full 2.5inch stainless exhaust with HPC coated headers
                  -Small features in Street Commodores twice back in the day

Click image for larger version  Name:	1b.jpg Views:	0 Size:	89.0 KB ID:	7108769

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	f (1).jpg Views:	0 Size:	112.6 KB ID:	7109104Click image for larger version  Name:	i.jpg Views:	0 Size:	81.7 KB ID:	7109105Click image for larger version  Name:	g1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	128.7 KB ID:	7109106Click image for larger version  Name:	s.jpg Views:	0 Size:	112.6 KB ID:	7109107

I found a few more.

Comment

Was that the one that ended up with blue leather & powerdyne blower?

Saw one at Parkside Auto years ago when they had all the Brocks & HSV cars.
                      an easy fix is get a mate to drive in front of you at 60 then 80 then 100 and mark in on your speedo with some liquid paper.

Comment

Originally posted by gtrboyy View Post
                        Was that the one that ended up with blue leather & powerdyne blower?

Saw one at Parkside Auto years ago when they had all the Brocks & HSV cars.
                        I wouldn't think so, it just had the mods listed in my post above before it went to Perth and disappeared. Probably around 2007. That included stock HSV trim which is very dark blue. I only ever saw one other blue version which had electric leather Recaros replacing the stock HSV seats.
                        Last edited by HSV Senator; 30-01-20, 07:52 AM.

Comment

I saw that car with the electric recaro's in it in a magazine back in the day. I loved that car and I've always loved VP senators.

Comment

Vaguely remember 2 blue ones...one was manual with sta or powerdyne & blue leather interior car that sat in Parkside Auto lot for a year...dropped to 9-10k

Think Jason Gray might have had stock senator for a short time but I'm thinking was all around 2009-2010.

Neighbour had light blue vp 5000i clubsport & his mate would rock up in a grey vp gts.
                            an easy fix is get a mate to drive in front of you at 60 then 80 then 100 and mark in on your speedo with some liquid paper.

Comment

Originally posted by richzx View Post
                              I saw that car with the electric recaro's in it in a magazine back in the day. I loved that car and I've always loved VP senators.
                              Yeah, I think it was Commodore Crazy magazine. Unusual to see a brand new Senator 5000i with a complete interior replacement but it was very nice. I wasn't actually into Holden's until as a young guy I saw the Senator 5000i at the Sydney motor show and really liked it.

It and the Group A cars are really the only HSV built cars that I lusted after. However, I really should have purchased a Group A VL Walkinshaw instead of the Senator for the same money at the time. Much better investment just sticking it in the garage until I could insure it. My girlfriend of the time didn't like Holden's at the best of times but said she would drop me if I purchased such an ugly car Same for the Sierra RS Cosworth that I also wanted. "Why would you buy a car with such a stupid big wing on the back!".
                              Last edited by HSV Senator; 11-02-20, 03:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gtrboyy View Post
                                Vaguely remember 2 blue ones...one was manual with sta or powerdyne & blue leather interior car that sat in Parkside Auto lot for a year...dropped to 9-10k

Think Jason Gray might have had stock senator for a short time but I'm thinking was all around 2009-2010.

Neighbour had light blue vp 5000i clubsport & his mate would rock up in a grey vp gts.
                                If it was a factory manual it would have been a Senator rather than the 5000i. They were available in any colour unlike the 5000i that were a special order if you didn't want the hero colour, "Senator Quartz". Basically a dull metallic purple. I don't think I ever saw 5000i for that cheap, decent buying even back then. I think Jason had an SV91? Same car but with a few less features, a standard Senator spec driveline and a different shade of blue as the only colour choice. It also had the blue leather, very similar to my Senator 5000i (standard car had Grey leather). I vaguely recall seeing an SV91 with an STA blower for sale actually.
                                Last edited by HSV Senator; 30-01-20, 01:30 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X