X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's a Chilly Bin Bro! XR4 Daily Novelty FiST

The back story
    Changing jobs to one with an actual commute and some crapping car-parking meant I started thinking about converting some cash to a "station car" - something smaller, cheap to own and that wouldn't leave me with the sads if anything happened to it.

First I wanted to go back to the Clio RS172 - but they've got a timing belt that costs the value of the car every 4 years to replace. And they're largely fucked at 18 years of age now. Good ones are out there but the best buying was 5 years ago. So I went laterally around the problem and woke up one morning remembering the Ford Fiesta XR4.

That was it - told the nopics who surprisingly was behind the idea although strongly wary of it looking like a gay clown car when the 6'+ dude gets out of it. We narrowed down a colour choice and the hunt started.

Currently these hover around an advertised $5k - so I figured $4k would get a combination of car with decent mechanical condition, some minor detailing and fixes outstanding and a better than average chance of getting through an ACT Rego inspection.

After a few weeks I'd gotten familiar enough with the ads to know "good ones move, and odd ones linger", Attributes of good ones: A recently changed clutch, working A/C and working seat tilt mechanisms. Some have iffy door locks and others - well as attractive as a full cat-less race exhaust is for power it wasn't going pass a rego inspection here.

Like every unique car there's forums and a Facebook group or 6. I decided one night to hit up one group with a "Hey peepz, I got the cash money show me your dope ridez" message - well a version of that written by a 45 year old IT dude. Funny enough while a few of the "old guard" are laughing at my audacity to expect a functional car for $4k the thread shook out a few cars and my Facebook Messenger a few more. Only one of these had been advertised elsewhere and was a car in Melbourne I was prepared to chase. But another name was familiar, another car looked familiar...

Enter gbanger.

Enter gbangers FiST (FiST is what the UK tragics refer to Fiesta ST's as in the UK)

A few days later I was taking nopics "to the back woods to meet a bloke named gbanger and check out his FiST". I really should have presented the invite to her differently.

Long story short - car was as described - gbanger had dailied the fuck out of it with his monster commute so mechanically it's very sound despite the kms, the body was not perfect, but again sound. In short it's a 12 year old car that is straight enough for the 10 foot test, and otherwise not going to attract attention in a carpark for being a minter. Except for the stripes. gbanger had a short thread here (https://performanceforums.com/forums...t150-toy-thing)

I picked it up yesterday and would the big spring up and drove it 220km home. At 3500rpm because these things don't have 6th gear....

I don't like the Stripes.
    When these came out they were mostly striped from the factory, with a Stripe-Delete option being available but realistically most cars were sold with the stripes. nopics didn't like the stripes, I'm not a fan. So we bought the car with only half the stripes, and for everything else I have a heatgun. Half a day of ownership later "I like the stripes", this will playout further in this thread as stripe condition wasn't part of the buying checklist..

It's a lot of blue!
    White on the outside, blue on the inside. Including the dash. It's like someone turned a traditional Australian Willow esky inside out. I guess that helps with the name we've given it "Chilly Bin", Chilly for sort - that and I've always thought these things were kind cool. It's still a lot of blue. Blue is not my favourite colour.

Ok Time to make with the Pics
    ---
    Shed Project: 1994 Laser Lynx with BP-T

On the drive home...
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20200121_055101071_iOS.jpg Views:	0 Size:	162.2 KB ID:	7107295

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200121_055114149_iOS.jpg Views:	0 Size:	288.9 KB ID:	7107296

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200121_055400554_iOS.jpg Views:	0 Size:	234.7 KB ID:	7107297

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_112039.jpg
Views:	695
Size:	191.6 KB
ID:	7107298
    ---

Comment

What's in the Chilly Bin?

Looks a bit low? That'd be the coil-overs officer.
      Sounds a bit loud? That'd be the giant pod filter and muffler swap.
      Stock bits came with the car so next mission is to revert to a largely registerable standard.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200121_072521817_iOS.jpg Views:	0 Size:	349.3 KB ID:	7107305
      The engine bay isn't inspiring - but there's a Duratec and a Pod! Will clean down and refit the stock intake before rego inspection.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200121_072257150_iOS.jpg Views:	0 Size:	311.4 KB ID:	7107302

So much blue! I've already ordered custom matched mats to go in.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200121_072127369_iOS.jpg Views:	0 Size:	5.70 MB ID:	7107306Click image for larger version  Name:	20200121_072409231_iOS.jpg Views:	0 Size:	389.4 KB ID:	7107303

I'm not sure if the sub was a selling point or the 12 year old version of me was thinking "hectic" and ignored gbanger telling me the headunit had stopped working. Either way the headunit started working 15km from gbangers place and allowed me to free his prized possession....
      ---

Comment

Nice purchase Aaron.

You still got the gt220? I think about selling mine on a monthly basis but it makes a good station car and the used Renault market would probably fetch me FiST money lol

Comment

The GT220 got munted pretty hard in the hail the day after I shook hands on this! Will see how the insurance plays out.

Now on with the Chilly Bin.

Name:	4E9D2378-0331-43F1-A988-EB8015324867.jpeg
Views:	630
Size:	180.6 KB
ID:	7107426

Bigg pod sounded great, but red flag to a rego inspecting bull. So that’s going back to stock for now. I also splashed a bit of cleaner around the engine bay.

Name:	403B7875-399C-4640-BDBD-5A0678854489.jpeg
Views:	630
Size:	178.8 KB
ID:	7107424
          It’s a jigsaw puzzle. All the stock bits and I has virtually no idea how they should go together. Alarmingly no screws are used!

Name:	5F6B6453-D6FF-49DA-ABDF-E97349CD8E10.jpeg
Views:	627
Size:	179.6 KB
ID:	7107423
          I thought I’d check in the airbox for spiders and stuff and found a K&N panel. Cleaned it up and re-oiled for the extra hp.

Name:	9E4C9DC2-2ED4-4277-9873-B8E521971D72.jpeg
Views:	627
Size:	183.0 KB
ID:	7107425
          Waiting for the K&N and then just the top cover to go.

It’s a touch down on power but still sound alright, although quieter.
          ---

Comment

Name:	9FEE4D5D-6146-4DE0-B298-612963DE3670.jpeg
Views:	614
Size:	5.78 MB
ID:	7107429
            As mentioned on first inspection the stereo had ceased to work. I pulled a few loose wires and found this nest. It’s for some external satnav module. No module present though.

So the rest of the day I spent finding out about the stereo install from 2014ish (the Pioneer AVH-X5650BT is a 2014/2015 sold model)

Name:	1D70C34E-4366-4587-A1C4-FB2C5A97E4F0.jpeg
Views:	610
Size:	4.48 MB
ID:	7107431
            Its a little chaotic on the wiring front, but all the bits were done OK in spirit. The Aerpro Ford to ISO to Pioneer harness had a few tweaks which were not the neatest.

Found the problem of it being an intermittent operation soon enough - the catch’s on the plug of the main connector to the headunit were broken. $22 and a trip to Autobarn (closest place with stock) and I’d be back in business.

Name:	0056343C-FABF-428A-ACD9-8F834D78905F.jpeg
Views:	626
Size:	4.02 MB
ID:	7107430

The Aerpro Steering wheel control adapter (the little box) doesn’t work either. I’ll try to be more practical and find a manual for that before just ordering a replacement. The headunit itself is a bit iffy on the volume buttons but I can probably resolve that in time.

Name:	9F1DA0E2-DA8C-4C01-932C-69914C8CA1C9.jpeg
Views:	623
Size:	4.75 MB
ID:	7107428
            Up the back it’s actually a 5-channel amp with a few loose wires etc. The RCAs were a bit mixed up at the headunit but all squared away now I think. Will have to triple check my lefts and rights. Now the subwoofer is being driven from the dedicated SW channels and can be tuned.

gbanger had said the stereo cranks, and when it started working in the drive home it cranked - but now - fark.... It is definitely making 12 year old me happy.

I also swapped the USB input to a glovebox located generic USB socket so iPhones cables can be plugged in.

There’s also an AUX socket next to the gear stick that I’ll hook up in good time. Not that anyone does 3.5mm stuff anymore.

The majority of the car is done in Dynamat Extreme. The quarters are really well damped as are the doors. It sounds like they didn’t bother with the hatch so I might as some just for completeness.

It does make the car feel very solid.
            ---

Comment

Bargain little warm/hot hatches imho. Whens the Rotrex getting fitted?
              I climbed Mt Druitt

Comment

lol at chilly bin

Comment

Check in the settings of the head deck, there might be a steering wheel controls option, if so, press that, then select , with adaptor, and it should start to work again, had the same issue in my Mondeo with similar aftermarket deck and the above fixed the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by evo-gsr View Post
                    Check in the settings of the head deck, there might be a steering wheel controls option, if so, press that, then select , with adaptor, and it should start to work again, had the same issue in my Mondeo with similar aftermarket deck and the above fixed the problem.
                    Yeah going on a hunt down that path. There's some stuff in the Aerpro manual and the Pioneer manuals that make it sound like a bit of a fuck around but worth doing. Something like the Adapter has to be powered before the headunit sees power for the first time, and doing a factory reset on the headunit etc. At the moment I can't access the Steering Wheel Control option (greyed out) so it's not quite talking

I've got to pull the Headunit again anyway because there's a loose or iffy wire somewhere for at least one channel.
                    ---

Comment

Today was going to be Rego Inspection day. So of course last night on the way to the pub last night a couple of minor things were apparent:
                      1. the bundle of gps antenna wire I’d stuffed up under the dash abandoned the snug crevice I’d wedged it in and tied itself around my ankles. While driving. Resolved that by cutting it out.
                      2. One headlight appeared to be on the piss, pointing off like the lazy eye of some hookers mugshot.
                      That meant this morning was pulling out the headlight (remove grille, detach and lower front bar enough to ease the headlight out.

Click image for larger version  Name:	12CFBB03-5A9D-4670-BF5B-A8287D3DE5D2.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.98 MB ID:	7107762

yeah that’d explain the symptoms. Must have jarred out of position as I do not remember the beam pattern being out the other night.

Then I remembered the number plate lights were full of dirt.

Click image for larger version  Name:	54D868AB-160A-4E02-8292-B588558434B9.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	149.7 KB ID:	7107763

Pull them out, clean and reinstall. Lights are now uniformly yellow and dim due to ancient well used bulbs.

by this point half of Canberra is back on fire, there’s a dust storm blowing in. Absolutely perfect time to grab the nopics and take the car for its inspection.

Sailed through with an advice for worn wiper blades and a worn tyre. up to a week ago I’d have said “who needs wiper blades?”

Weather has been shit for the rest of the day so did some online shopping instead of queuing to fork over the $$ to the ACT gov.
                      - New headlight globes
                      - New LED number plate light modules
                      - New wiper blades all round
                      - Some service bits (cabin filter etc)
                      Last edited by Aaron; 23-01-20, 05:14 PM.
                      ---

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron View Post

Yeah going on a hunt down that path. There's some stuff in the Aerpro manual and the Pioneer manuals that make it sound like a bit of a fuck around but worth doing. Something like the Adapter has to be powered before the headunit sees power for the first time, and doing a factory reset on the headunit etc. At the moment I can't access the Steering Wheel Control option (greyed out) so it's not quite talking

I've got to pull the Headunit again anyway because there's a loose or iffy wire somewhere for at least one channel.
                        Mine does that too, get out of settings and go back in and its an item.you can then select, or turn car off and back on, one or the other! I just redid mine the other day so it should be fresher in my mind!

Comment

Not fucking around Aaron.. We'll done
                          Looking good.. I would have done some of this shit (probly not) ​​​​​​... but the 5 other projects and kids got in the way of that.. Enjoy dude.. I'll be following..

Comment

Originally posted by evo-gsr View Post
                            Was going to mention this too. My aftermarket pioneer headunit in the Suzuki had to have it done again after getting a new battery. It was a setting to either auto connect or select "Suzuki" on mine I believe.
                            Previously known as Lobster, Chuss's brother's anus, Chuss's brother, Lobsook, Lobstersock, Socks, Sockz, MissAmericaImportGirl, ClutchCLobster

CJM 4 Life yo!

Comment

Actually according to : https://www.manualslib.com/manual/74...page=40#manual

It should be these steps:

Name:	Pioneer.jpg
Views:	443
Size:	232.3 KB
ID:	7107895
                              Previously known as Lobster, Chuss's brother's anus, Chuss's brother, Lobsook, Lobstersock, Socks, Sockz, MissAmericaImportGirl, ClutchCLobster

CJM 4 Life yo!

Comment

Working...
                              X