No announcement yet.

It's a Chilly Bin Bro! XR4 Daily Novelty FiST

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And this is what the completed wheel will look like.

Decided the brakes are due some attention.

There’s a massive range of pads that suit these things so choosing something “right” isn’t going to be fun or easy.

I’m currently of the mindset to stick a set of Brembo Ceramics in, throw on braided lines and go through the calipers making sure everything is clean, moving correctly and “working as intended” before looking at more serious options should that be necessary.
    ---
    Shed Project: 1994 Laser Lynx with BP-T

Comment

Science experiment on the original centre caps. They’re really tatty so I figured I’d try a soak with some oven cleaner to get the rattle can black off.

After an hour or so in the bag in the sun. And a blast with the pressure washer. The clear over the metal on the outer ring is soft but it looks like they can be “saved”.
      ---

Comment

Why pay “professionals”?

So while I was out of town for a couple of weeks I left the car with the local Gearbag shop to fit up a new clutch, slave and master.

Get the car back and from a mechanical standpoint it’s mint, new clutch is more positive in action and pedal feel is better. New engine mounts also improve a couple of things in how it puts down its puny allocation of llamathrust.

Pity they forgot to put the seal back on the clutch master that goes between the body of the master and the firewall. No the engine bay doesn’t smell good. No it’s not quite in there either.

Oh well I’ll take it back Monday and ask them to sort it, hopefully there won’t be an issue (although it is a cunt of job).

If it wasn’t raining today I’d be balls deep in this:

Yep. It’s time (well nearly time) so I have pushed it all together and made sure I have new fasteners for everything.

Lucky I did because I had bolts aside for the Cat join but it was a scrounge through the bolt drawer that made me realise M10x1.5 Nuts won’t work on my M10x1.25 bolts. Off to Repco because they have the best range of bolt packs in my area.

That made me think “why not get a new flange gasket at the same time”.

Get to Repco grab the bolt/nut pair I need and ask the guy at the counter for one of these:

But to suit a 2.5” or 63mm pipe. Now I know they sell them, and I know they had stock in that store, but I hadn’t bothered saving the part number because well, I figured the dude there would go “sure” and either look it up or go to their shelf location and grab one.

Nope instead “sorry don’t have them, go to the exhaust shop when they’re open, they have a wall of then”. Fuck. I should have looked it up then and there and did a click and collect order just to prove the point, but I only just thought of that now.

May do that anyway.
        ---

Comment

Yep, it’s an ideal day to be fucking around with the car.

But some pre-Black Friday shopping adventures.

Some pretty basic Brembo pads for the rear end, naturally I had also ordered a matching set for the front, but in the interest of saving $40 on those I got them from an eBay seller listing Focus ST170 pads not by the part number.

So I received 1st Gen Focus Diesel pads - they are completely different. Little back and forth with the seller and a refund will happen. Correct pads ordered from supplier of the rears.

Fired off a “hey can I get a status update on my order” to Goodridge UK about the braided lines. Somehow their “72 hour” turn around is now 10-15 working days. Might get to actually do the brakes in January at this rate.
          ---

Comment

Now onto some actual touching up the car.

Backside up in the air and finally the old slightly dodgy exhaust is off the car!
            Hardest part was the nut on the cat end which is obscured by the cat. But swearing creatively got it off.

Factory on the left and Scorpion 2.5” 200 cell cat section on the right. Substantial difference in shaping and yet they are running in the same tunnel up the car. Apparently the factory cat is valued at about $250 so that’s almost half the aftermarket piece paid for.

Cat section in place, even the O2 sensor is mounted better with more clearance than factory.

Mid section done. The slip joint is positioned in a way that allows the clamp to mounted on the side of the pipe with plenty of clearance to the heat shields.

About the dodgiest bit is the adjustable rear hanger that sits at a weird angle to locate the muffler at just the right angle. This could be because I have a shorter than factory “HardRace” rubber here (see much earlier post). I probably could fiddle things more but to be honest it’s not really a big deal.

Tip big enough for a babies head. It also centres well in the body cut-out.
            Last edited by Aaron; 28-11-20, 02:18 PM.
            ---

Comment

So will I hear you from here now?

Comment

I have cursed this joint every single time it thumped the floor. Now I can happily say it’s gone!

I made a video of it being started for the first time. It’s just start and idle so I could listen for leaks.

Yep, there was a leak at the cat flange because on the new cat the same nut is obscured by the hanger! Got a couple of extra turns on it with a thin-wall socket and the system also warmed up and expanded enough to seal it up. Will see if I got it when it’s cold.

Other than that it doesn’t wobble about, a good push and shove and it’s not hitting anywhere!

I’ve only driven it around the block but there’s a few things I’ve noticed. At idle and carpark speeds it’s quiet, a bit deeper than the factory but tame enough that it’s not going to attract attention. Under power it has well and truely resulted in additional llamathrusts. The one good/bad thing is the amount of pop and crackle.

Now I need to get that clutch master cylinder mounting seal sorted get a set of exhaust gaskets and get the headers in.

In other trashy jobs I rejiggered how all the spare wheel and jack mount in the boot, fixed the loose subwoofer in the subwoofer enclosure so now I can drive around like a proper chav.
                Last edited by Aaron; 28-11-20, 02:47 PM.
                ---

Comment

Originally posted by Captain_Slow View Post
                  So will I hear you from here now?
                  I’ve yet to fully let it sing the song of my people, although I did have a bit of a fun “burbling” through a couple of undercover car parks today.

I think it’s still blowing a little at the cat joint and that’s probably contributing to a lot of the lift-off noise.

Still something moving about in the back of car, might be the stupid subwoofer, not the exhaust though, can shake and wobble that very violently and it hits nothing.
                  ---

Comment

Correct brake pads arrived this morning.

They’re the pair on the right. The ones on the left are the “the same in the bendix catalog”. WTF. Oh well will get them sent back and refunded.

Happy with my Brembo experience, the decent packaging and inclusion of lube and a sticker is a nice touch.

Still waiting on Goodridge UK...
                    ---

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron View Post
                      Correct brake pads arrived this morning.

Happy with my Brembo experience, the decent packaging and inclusion of lube and a sticker is a nice touch.

Just put a front set into my NB8C MX5 - How nice is the packging! Especially when compared to Bendix and Ferodo that I have used in the past..

A++ will bang in a set for the rear as well

Comment

They are waay prettier than the brembo pads I put in t he cayman....

Hawk pads come with lube and a sticker..

1998 MX5 - Ohlins DFV coilovers, Roll bar,15 x7.5 Konig Litespeeds, Mania Intake
                        2014 Colorado LT - Oversized Whitegoods. Kid/bike/track hack/horse hauler.

Comment

If a jobs worth doing it’s worth doing twice?

This morning I should have been enjoying a 3 hour dinosaur fuelled romp through the countryside with the ACT Llama Appreciation Society.

Instead I’m fixed the fuckup with the clutch firewall seal and fiddling with the exhaust.

The firewall seal is a bit of a dog. Obviously when installing the clutch master from inside the cabin the seal is fitted to the master and sandwiches against the firewall as the clutch master actually side mounts to the pedal box and not hard against the firewall.

To replicate this I’d have to remove the ring which means partially disassembling the pedal box, releasing the near inaccessible clutch lines in the engine bay sliding out the unit, adding a seal and reassembly followed by a clutch bleed.

Screw that.

Instead I made a gasket from closed cell foam that could be opened like a “V” slide around the lines and then closed together.

In this pic you can see the some of the nuts that retain the pedal box - there’s 6 in total and using 450mm of extensions means they ratchet out pretty easy from the footwell.

The two bolt heads on the left retain the clutch master in position, but it’s also clipped in place.

As the seal has to pass behind part of the pedal box it had to be loosened. I found that winding out the RH four nuts and removing the left-most two gave around 10mm clearance which was enough.

With a mega zip-tie taped to the pedal box side of the seal I pushed it up into position, checking it was visible in the engine bay all around the opening in the firewall. The zip-tie was then yanked back out leaving the seal in place.

The easy side on the left. It’s not as neat as factory but it took 45 minutes from start to finish and now I can drive with less few of carbon monoxide poisoning from my other problem.
                          ---

Comment

Close but ultimately not good enough. This is how I had left the tip hanging last weekend. It was ok, but the adjustable mount was at an angle where I couldn’t tighten both nuts and as I’ve got some noise in the rear of the car I knew I’d have to do something.

The goal was to lift the muffler about 15mm to give clearance around the nut hiding in the crook of the bracket, alight the muffler into the opening better using that nut as the pivot point and then tighten the outer. Last I didn’t think things through well enough and with the way I had the car supported I couldn’t get the leverage needed to fix.

It’s tucked up much tighter now. There’s still plenty of room around the muffler - at least a hand/finger width gap of clearance to all the heat shields - and I can rotate it slightly by tweaking the join. I may do this as I need to check all the bolts etc as well as revisit the flange joint ahead of the cat.
                            ---

Comment

Last job on the list was to go and crank some extra Ugga-dugga onto the exhaust joins and go looking for any knocks and rattles.

No pics of that but I did find the heat shields smacking on the brake line and handbrake cable so got that sorted better.

The only thing left that makes any rattle of clunk is the fuel tank! That can wait for another day to investigate.

Then inside!

Under here lives the fuel tank and it’s also got the dogleg of the exhaust and the resonator. It’s also a very floppy panel that drums a lot. There’s only carpet and then the metal base of the seat bottom to control noise.

I had some CarBuilders stage one deadener left over from doing the speaker fix to our MX5 doors so I figured this was a good home for it.

Another offcut was used on the lower section - only on the drivers side as this is where the exhaust runs. The last full sheet I had was used over the whole seat base area, just split to go around the fuel pump wiring.

A few extra offcuts (not pictured) straddle the tunnel bulkhead area.
                              ---

Comment

It’s a pretty floppy sort of panel under the seat.
                                Last edited by Aaron; 05-12-20, 04:11 PM.
                                ---

Comment

Working...
                                X