Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fatz Handmedown v11ty - Nissan V35 Skyline

needed a car - fatz convinced me this wasn't a massive steaming pile of shit, and was happy to accept monopoly money

https://performanceforums.com/forums...v35-auto-6800/

to be honest i don't know the V35's that well, they seem to have slipped through the cracks of skyline iconism. but price was good, timing was right. pull the trigger i did.

2003 V35 350GT VQ35
    genuine 160k japanese km
    one lady owner
    according to the seller its got some combination of:
    UpRev flesh tune
    lowered on Tein springs/shocks
    bushes done (no idea when?)
    decently dished 20’s on kuhmo rubber
    some big cat back exhaust

fuck, it goes ok! VQ35 hammers when you give it some jandle. nice and smooth at residential pace, but hit the japanese 'power' button (vs the 'snow' button) and compress the carpet... jeremiah_johnson_nodding.gif

its got some fucked bits here and there.

HIDs are doing some weird shit, flickering and occ complete dropout of the right headlight. fuck knows what that is. wiring/ballast something something. will pull it apart.
    https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-sed...t-problem.html
    https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-cou...tting-out.html
    https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-i...al-w-pics.html
    https://g35driver.com/forums/v36-diy...t-ballast.html

steering wheel is rooted for only 160k km
    driver seat base has a wobble
    passenger door seal is fucked
    boot cable relate is busted
    rattle can stealth bro front grill
    stupid CAI open pod instead of the actual factory CAI
    central locking is FUBAR
    - internal switch: can hear the relays click, but the solenoids do SFA
    - fob remote: doesn't seem to do dick
    windscreen wipers made of dust
    light of day walk around
    - rear left quarter has taken a superficial punt and been resprayed/blended, not the greatest paint job, but good enough
    - yes rob, munted plate, but reo and chassis-pickups all straight. bar is a little off on panel gap around the headlights, but who GAF

** more to come

anyway, goes good, dad's happy, kids are happy, lets see what the nopics says when she's comes out in a few weeks (assuming i still have my license)

PS
    - fwiw only insurance i could get was with enthusiast motor insurance. fucking imports
    Last edited by doctor ed; 30-01-20, 05:30 PM.
    Mit freundlichen Gre

Originally posted by Keith Duckworth
    "I think that in a racing engine, the closer it is to disintegrating, in general the better its performance will be "

Nice! I had noticed that these seem to have avoided the devoted following of the other models. The coupe look awesome!

Comment

crumpled front number plate yeah nothing sus
      www.holditflat.com

Comment

I quite like them and often wondered whether it would be worth the effort to turbo one (3.5ltr RWD turbo can't be bad right?) and what manual gearbox options exist?
        Hide yo' wife!!!

Comment

gearbag is easy, just need a tree fiddy and away you go....

Comment

Originally posted by piss98 View Post
            I quite like them and often wondered whether it would be worth the effort to turbo one (3.5ltr RWD turbo can't be bad right?) and what manual gearbox options exist?
            They came with a factory 6 speed manual option. The earlier manual models also came standard with Brembo's.

Comment

Originally posted by piss98 View Post
              fatz is already trying to upsell a turbo motor he's got. cunt. yeah, no. i mean sure, fucking rad, but still no

way better looking than a treefiddy, with bonus Japanese import WTF's inside
              Mit freundlichen Gre

"I think that in a racing engine, the closer it is to disintegrating, in general the better its performance will be "

Comment

Early VQ35DE are terrible for boost. VQ35HR in the later model ones are unfairly better. Taller block / longer rods / etc. completely redesigned to fix early ring wear situations, but also made them capable of revving harder and tolerating a lot more boost.

*by terrible I mean, they make more power but don't go as far as you would think, and the HR motors do.

CSH, Factory turbo VQ30DET's are very tough, the stagea VQ25DET have more in common with front wheel drive maxima motors omgwtf than the other rwd VQ engines.

Still, would bang.

Comment

edit - 30sec of google

https://www.abacuscaralarms.co.uk/al...product_id=105
                  Last edited by doctor ed; 30-01-20, 11:10 PM.
                  Mit freundlichen Gre

Comment

I made my son buy his V35 manual with Brembos about 4 years ago, after some asian guy spent a shit ton on it and wanted it gone ( cheap ) when he became FIFO.
                    Has all the good stuff, and they do carry speed very well, and sound sweet to boot.
                    Really well planted things on coilovers, with cornering that is comfortably 8/10 of my GTR.

Door window operation and central locking issues are common and painful, but can be sorted.

Everything is cheap to fix on these and they look much better than a 350z.

My sons car has 240000kms now and has given some headaches recently, with running rough when wamed up. He has changed coil packs, fuel pump, parts of wiring loom and some sensors to solve the problem. On the plus side he has done 100% of this work himself, pulling half the top half of the motor apart a few times, and has learnt a lot from the experience.

Worst case scenario is a replacement motor is $1000 ish.

I reckon one of the 3.7 motors with big cams and ITB's would be awesome, as would a turbo or 2.

Chassis is sublime. Solid and well built everywhere. Amazing bag for buck car.
                    The World's Best Pest Control in Brisbane, at PF mates rates, PM me.

when all else fails, hit it harder.

Comment

I had one of the first V35 Coupes on the road in Australia. Was a sweet car but even better when I fitted a Rotrex supercharger to it.

Comment

I had a V35. Gangster wheels, Kakimoto exhaust, tein coilovers + other minor stuff. Mine came with the 6 speed + brembos. The manual option (pre 2005) had this funky gate set-up where 3rd and 5th gear were just way to close to each other. If you didn't know the box it became a total grind fest every time someone went from 4-5. The standard stereo is a giant fuck-around and you can buy full replacement kits for them. From memory they also pound front suspension bushes.

I always found it to be a total boat to drive fast, but was an absolutely awesome daily due to the comfy torque of the V6.

If you want boost, I'd go for a supercharger over turbos. You can pick up complete kits which will make ~300rwkw for pretty cheap.

Insurance wise, at least you are doing it after the re-rate. Previously, these were lumped in with R33/32/34 which at the time (and still) were getting stolen everywhere. I was paying bulk coin to insure it and after it switched over my premium fell by about 50%.

I'd love to have another one.

Comment

Toyed with getting one of these, or the newer 3.7L versions, what are they like on fuel on the freeway? Comfy for long drives? I have a 120km round trip commute, 80-110kph all the way. What RPM do they sit on at 110k?

Comment

I've driven a 4-door one of these, was likewise surprised how well it went for a NA six. They're great value for the prices they fetch IMO.

Are you back in AU now or is this just a temporary thing?
                            Norbie!

Comment

Weren't these sold as an Infiniti in the US?
                              "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower." - Mark Donahue Penske Porsche 917

"In Japan we no give fark for Subaru" - Trust Japan Technical Director
                              (TM - AVENGE)

"You can never have enough power. I remember when we had Group B cars... THEN we had enough power!"
                              Juha Kankkunen - Rally of Argentina '02

Comment

Working...
                              X