Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2010 VE S2 Calais V Redline

I've been looking for a 'daily' ever since my Soarer was written off in August last year. Something I'm happy to leave in a shopping centre carpark and just drive.

With the help of "Punchy Trent's Car Inspection Service", I grabbed this during the week.
    VE Series 2 Calais V Redline, 140K

Click image for larger version

Name:	VEIICalais-14.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	2.03 MB
ID:	7112124
    and

Name:	VEIICalais-18.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	2.18 MB
ID:	7112125

Put a hundred kays on it over the weekend, to get used to it before having my Mech do a complete checkover and fluid replacement on Tuesday.
    Some minor body issues, nothing a decent PDR guy and a paint correction can't sort.

Interior is pretty neat, apart for whomever owned it before me was a big unit, as the seat foam is squashed. Another easy fix.

There are a couple of questions I was hoping the brains trust could assist with:

Gearbox

This is the first 6L80E I've owned and the shifts do seem a little clumsy compared to the 4 speed in the 2010 Berlina I've been driving.
    I'll be getting the fluid changed and the box checked.
    Are there any tips for this gearbox, I was hoping to find the Holden 6L80E equivalent of MV Automatics(who sorted the Soarer's 4 speed brilliantly) here in Adelaide, are there any recommendations?
    Otherwise I'll just use Adelaide Automatics, who are around the corner from me.

Parking Sensors

On initial pickup, the parking sensors didn't work.
    I took it for a cruise on Saturday, and while pulling up at a pub, the sensors began working normally.
    But after that, they haven't worked since.
    Google says the control box can fail, and a new one needs re-programming to the car before it works.
    Places like LSXtreme and Envyous Customs offer a re-program service, but is there anyone in Adelaide who can do this?

IQ System

While taking my son to basketball training this morning, I found that using the horn causes the IQ system to loose Bluetooth/USB/IPOD capability. It took shutting the car down and locking/unlocking the doors to rectify.
    Google says its a known fault and needs a capacitor wired into the 2 power feeds for the IQ, to stop momentary power drains from the horn/high beam, from upsetting the IQ.
    Has anyone else had to do this?
    Also, it's software is out of date. All the complaints about IQ system faults on Google seem to disappear after about 2014. So I'm hoping the last software update sorts a lot of problems.
    I'll be checking with Holden on how much they want to gouge me to do a Software Update.

Rattle on first start

On first start,there is a loud metallic rattle that sounds like loose stuff in the catalytic converters, but harsher. It disappears after about 10 seconds while cold, and on hot startup only lasts a second or so.
    Climbing underneath while someone starts it, it seems to be coming from the bellhousing area. I'm hoping it might be related to the engine/gearbox mount.

Vibration

While sitting at the lights, it has the occasional shake for a second or so. Has a similar feeling while cruising when it drops into 4cyl mode(I'll be getting that disabled).
    Strangely, the rest of the time, its quite smooth.
    Hoping that is just engine/trans mount.

Road/Tyre Noise

There is more road noise than I expected, compared to the 2010 V6 Berlina I'm currently driving.
    It's come with Goodyear Eagle F1 Directionals all round. Newish ones on the front (they are mounted backwards though, so rotating opposite to the arrow) and older 2015 with about 70% tread on the rear.
    Hopefully getting the fronts remounted on the rims will reduce the noise, which sounds like a wheel bearing going on anything other than dead smooth new road.

I've got 3 months of stat warranty, and 3 years of dubious extended warranty (which came with the car, strangely the dealer wouldn't reduce the price in exchange for dropping the warranty).
    Hopefully it won't take long to sort it out.

Advice appreciated.

With the parking sensors, the genuine Holden trailer harness plug has a reed switch in it that cuts the sensors when you have a trailer connected. It’s a small magnet in the lid. Sometimes a bit of shit on the magnet or even the magnet falling out can stop the sensors too.

Also, the centre mufflers in these fall apart internally if the muffler has been bottomed out and can make a nasty rattle. Cop cars were bad for it as they banged them over gutters and speed bumps. Worth a look
    Last edited by StupidFlanders; 09-02-20, 09:07 PM.
    Originally posted by Rdyno
    It's fucking storytime with Rdyno cunt shut the fuck up and fuck off.

Comment

That all sounds like warranty repair stuff from the car yard?????

Comment

+1

As for the tyres, all directional tyres make a fair bit of noise. Well all the ones I can afford.

Comment

Originally posted by StupidFlanders View Post
          With the parking sensors, the genuine Holden trailer harness plug has a reed switch in it that cuts the sensors when you have a trailer connected. It’s a small magnet in the lid. Sometimes a bit of shit on the magnet or even the magnet falling out can stop the sensors too.

Also, the centre mufflers in these fall apart internally if the muffler has been bottomed out and can make a nasty rattle. Cop cars were bad for it as they banged them over gutters and speed bumps. Worth a look
          Thanks.
          The plug is a Britax, and doesn't have a magnet in the lid. It doesn't appear to be wired for a Reed switch either.

Name:	IMG_20200210_131105202.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	381.1 KB
ID:	7112285

From the diagrams I've seen, if it was wired for a Reed Switch, there would be an interrupt of the earth (white) wire.
          While following the loom though, I found this.

Name:	IMG_20200209_110522810.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	276.7 KB
ID:	7112287

Name:	IMG_20200209_110454558.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	170.2 KB
ID:	7112288

Name:	IMG_20200209_110528057.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	316.4 KB
ID:	7112289

Name:	IMG_20200209_110534168.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	395.5 KB
ID:	7112290

Seems to be some kind of extra camera feed. The power wire was diconnected and folded away, so I don't think it has anything to do with the sensors. One for the auto elec to figure out.

I'll get my mech to check the mufflers.

Is there anything special to the 6 speed auto? Just new filter/fluid?
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by richzx View Post
            That all sounds like warranty repair stuff from the car yard?????
            Only problem is I bought the car in Sydney and brought it back to Adelaide.
            During negotiations with the Dealer, I did ask about fixing any faults I found. He seemed really reasonable about it, saying he would either get it fixed here, or ship it back to Sydney if he could get it fixed cheaper there.
            Since I thought he could insist that the car be returned to him for any repairs, I'm happy to wait until I have had it checked over before chasing him for repairs.
            Given it's just a 3 month stat warranty at this point, I feel the only valid things I can chase here would be the Engine mounts, parking sensors and possibly the mufflers? Everything else is just me sorting stuff.

Comment

Just called the place that did the last service on it, 5000K's and 18 months ago. Their sticker was still on the windscreen.
              Guy said it had engine mounts and harmonic balancer replaced. So they're unlikely to be the source of the vibration...

Comment

I only ever worked on these when they were still fairly new. Trans filter is easy, but refilling the fluid is a bitch. No dipstick tube, the filler plug is where you would except a dipstick to enter the transmission, right next to the exhaust which will be hot as fuck because you have to get it hot to get the level right.
                Originally posted by Rdyno
                It's fucking storytime with Rdyno cunt shut the fuck up and fuck off.

Comment

Originally posted by StupidFlanders View Post
                  I only ever worked on these when they were still fairly new. Trans filter is easy, but refilling the fluid is a bitch. No dipstick tube, the filler plug is where you would except a dipstick to enter the transmission, right next to the exhaust which will be hot as fuck because you have to get it hot to get the level right.
                  Thanks for that. I'll be getting a trans place to do a flush and check for me.

Comment

I'm reading about people changing the auto trans sump to a Camaro one, which holds an extra litre of fluid. Apparently helps smooth the gearbox out, as some of the complaints with the gearbox can be linked to insufficient fluid.

Anybody done this?

Comment

Working...
                    X