Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

XM Falcon Coupe

A fair while ago I bought this on eBay. The day I was to fly down to check it over and hand over money my wife got gastro and with no one to look after the kids I had to can the trip. Luckily PF came to the rescue and Dogsballs went checked it out (many thanks again mate!).

Click image for larger version  Name:	D5C11DE3-8C32-4261-83CA-95374BA3A038.png Views:	0 Size:	3.69 MB ID:	7133050
    My missus now says this is one we are never selling, so I thought I’d start pulling it apart over the long weekend. The workshop manual is a bit vague so might need some help as we go along.

Click image for larger version  Name:	46B025BA-7B69-4280-B1B9-3E99D8B93BC4.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.70 MB ID:	7133051

The floor pans don’t seem too bad, maybe a bit bent. Somewhere along the line someone had put black sealant on the floor, which hid some surface rust.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	D9C7DDE0-F529-4FD4-81F8-5FF05420BC69.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.50 MB ID:	7133052

I plan to run a nylon disk over it but not sure what the best way is to treat it. Any recommendations?

I also need some help getting the interior door handles and winders off. Does anyone know if there a clip holding the handle in?
    Last edited by Cliffordcliffs; 12-04-20, 11:03 AM.
    "Beware the lollipop of mediocrity: lick it once and you'll suck forever" Brian Wilson

Originally posted by Cliffordcliffs View Post
    I also need some help getting the interior door handles and winders off. Does anyone know if there a clip holding the handle in?
    Yeah you need the tool to get them off, or you can probably make one if you want, pretty simple thing.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-Repr...wAAOSwu4JchEXR

Comment

Thanks mate! Should make the job easier. I also found these little metal pieces on the floor, they open up to the chassis rails! So interesting to find these quirks. Click image for larger version  Name:	E87641E4-4C13-4705-85EC-0193090DB54E.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.17 MB ID:	7133058
      Last edited by Cliffordcliffs; 12-04-20, 11:10 AM.
      "Beware the lollipop of mediocrity: lick it once and you'll suck forever" Brian Wilson

Comment

Cool!

Comment

door and window winders :

this is photobucket -let ujs know if they blurry ...

need a tool : slot 1/2" wide x 3/4" long x 1thick mm steel.

slide behind door handle /window winder from the handle side : if on the door trim (ie window winder) a thin sheet of plastic to protect the door trim

as the tool pushes out the spring clip:

and once clip out pull handle off the splines

to put handle back on , place clip on the handle - make sure facing the correct way and just push handle back on - clip will lock on the groove on the shaft
          Last edited by 9triton; 12-04-20, 12:28 PM.

Comment

why pullingf apart ?

looks ok from here

floors - POR15 or Australian version - KBS- for the floors.

or just clean up and good old chassis black

Comment

get yourself a parts CD : have good exploded drawings so can see whats what . $13... bargain

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/FORD-FAL...gAAOSwEetV9r5p

Comment

Thanks for the input. It looks really good from a distance, but there are a few things that need doing. In no particular order:

the wiring is a bit of a hack job
                suspension bushes are falling apart - there’s bits of rubber on the floor every time I move it.
                paint is flaking off and there are early signs of rust
                gearbox leaks madly
                interior is generally good, but the switches dont move freely and the carpet was torn

One thing led to another and i figure if we are planning on keeping this for the ages may as well do it properly. Also found this under the carpet:

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	559
Size:	2.10 MB
ID:	7133101

Comment

Is it still a six and 3 speed manual?

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.10 MB ID:	7133127

Click image for larger version  Name:	386D557C-DC25-4867-923E-E22454EFCCD9.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.06 MB ID:	7133126
                    Uh oh! The hole in the fender in front of the rear wheel turned out to be much larger once I dug the bog out. I’m sure there’s more to be found. It’s a six with a auto converted to the floor.

Comment

Uh oh alright. Starting to look scary.

Mechanically they are pretty simply. New bushes and ball joints helps. Can you 'shelby drop' these things as well? Are they somewhat similar to the Mustang underneath?
                      I'm not straight outta Compton, I'm straight out the trailer.

Comment

Looks very very much like the car inside for my wedding for my wife , where did it come from ?

Comment

fuck me, goes to show what paint can hide.

Comment

I had wondered what you were doing with this.
                            When I saw the thread title I hoped you weren't selling it

Comment

I’m planning on following your rebuild as the template for this. If I get even remotely close to your quality I’ll be happy. I had a poke around the hole in the rear fender. There some heavy pitting in the metal behind it. It started out as a 5c sized bubble, I reckon this is gonna get serious. The front fenders bolt off but the rear doesn’t. Apparently rare spares do these but it’s pretty poor fit. There’s a guy on the sunny coast that does better ones to order, but shudder to think how much. Wish I was rich enough to send it to the skid factory for the mechanical work...

Ricecooker, it came from Melbourne maybe 2 1/2 yrs ago. Distinguishing features:Has a big auto meter tachometer, a neat chrome rear view mirror with flame details on it and the door locks are little pistons. If that helps.

I think it’s had the ‘Shelby drop’ already as it’s pretty low as it is now.
                              Last edited by Cliffordcliffs; 12-04-20, 05:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X