Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lord_fahrquhar View Post
    Take the motor out, just so much easier to get in there.

Its like held in with a few bolts, a couple of wires and a few rust mites.
    Can even drop out thru the bottom after removing steeringlink.

And yep access is soooo much better

Comment

That might be a better idea. Do you unbolt it from the gearbox as well, or does it all come out as one unit?
      "Beware the lollipop of mediocrity: lick it once and you'll suck forever" Brian Wilson

Comment

Originally posted by Lord_fahrquhar View Post
        Take the motor out, just so much easier to get in there.

Its like held in with a few bolts, a couple of wires and a few rust mites.
        Like taking the seats out this makes EVERYTHING so much easier. Undo fuel, earth lead and coolant hoses. Undo trans mount and gear linkages and shifter, tail shaft. Undo engine bolts and haul out through front at a high angle. Use a trolley jack on the gearbox rear housing.

Originally posted by 9triton View Post
        Whilst the guards are off - do the Shelby drop. If doing the std 1" drop and not looking at ultralow springs wont need to worry about balljoints. binding. just check clearance of upper arm rear bush to spring tower. May need a bit of localised hammer action
        ...on your nice new paint ...
        +1 Shelby drop. Thank all of us later.

Comment

Oh, and check the towers in the engine bay for cracks. Since those Ford has a lot of stress with the spring up high it puts pressure on the towers. If the car has had a hard life you can get cracks in the towers.

If you don't have them them, the rocking style spring perches are a cheap good thing as well. Won't cost you $200 with those mods.

Comment

It’s pretty low already but I don’t think it’s had the Shelby drop mod. Looking at pictures from the mustangs I don’t think those bolts have been repositioned. does it lower the car further?

Click image for larger version  Name:	612C18B7-6C17-4970-B2C5-44F6EB9A7E1F.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	1.54 MB ID:	7146395

I had a chat to Garvice and will get him to weave some metal magic when he’s got free workshop space. I took off the paint on the sills. The right side looks solid

Click image for larger version  Name:	A62C4D62-5B1A-4759-AE44-F71CFEB43DF2.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	1.43 MB ID:	7146396

but the left side has had a hit.

Click image for larger version  Name:	E8571E3F-CF00-4B97-AAFA-49893B4BE381.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	1.76 MB ID:	7146397

they both were pretty solid sounding so hopefully don’t need to be replaced.
            "Beware the lollipop of mediocrity: lick it once and you'll suck forever" Brian Wilson

Comment

Those towers are stock and look really good. The Shelby drop does help with making the car less prone to understeer. It lowers the front of the car only 15mm. You have to add caster to the alignment which also makes it drive a lot nicer.

That lower photo, cripes!

Comment

Originally posted by Cliffordcliffs View Post
                That might be a better idea. Do you unbolt it from the gearbox as well, or does it all come out as one unit?
                Can do either way. Does it have a cross brace under engine . They bolt on.

Comment

Those sills not necessay a hit . They can get dinged driving off gutters

If solid a bit of puller action can get them back out reasonsble so dont need 3/4" of bog to look straight

Comment

You’ve probably already got this in your shed but here goes anyway

Click image for larger version

Name:	48280296-804F-4202-9794-C2E8498089DF.jpeg
Views:	223
Size:	549.5 KB
ID:	7146631
                    Is Walt gay?.....My coming out:>>>>>
                    https://youtu.be/IkL4lVMJqDk

Comment

I hadn’t seen that, thanks for posting it Walt.

thanks for the suspension suggestions, I will get the engine out and then do the Shelby mod. May as well do the rocker spring perches at the same time. Wow! I was really surprised at how little is under the engine. No cross brace, just looks like the steering arms and sway bar to move. I am not keen on removing the gearbox and it looks like the bolts are easily accessible. I will try unbolt from gearbox and remove engine only.

Comment

Is it manual? Orig 3 speeder?.
                        you can get to the bolts - 4off

Comment

It’s a 3sp auto.

Comment

Ahh yes . No problem to split .trick when re installing is to push the converter onto the box. Ensuring drive tangs are engaged. Then in stall engine and then thru access plate push converter forwards and bolt to flex plate.

That stops any misalignment converter to drive tangs and rooting the pump In box.
                            Last edited by 9triton; 24-05-20, 08:39 PM.

Comment

Can get the bolt on factory crosssmembers.
                              will stiffen up the front. About $100
                              Uses the same bolts as existing engine mounts

One on ebay now.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/xk-xl-xm...-/333606068439
                              Last edited by 9triton; 24-05-20, 08:41 PM.

Comment

Got a big box of stuff from early falcon spares. The bloke sent me a email saying he’d overcharged on postage so here’s a credit! Didn’t expect such honestly really. A1 will throw more money his way shortly. Also got panels from rustaproblem, the rear quarters look like a pretty good fit.

still have not taken engine out or done Shelby mod. But did decide I’d try a bit of welding, knowing full well Garvice will fix my efforts if it’s too dodgy. I cut out the sill. Someone had pulled it out straighter previously.
                                1. Click image for larger version

Name:	7CE18A36-E1DF-4E72-B845-CCABA46B5BE8.jpeg
Views:	195
Size:	1.49 MB
ID:	7151511
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X