No announcement yet.

RA65 Celica - the wedge of cheese

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh yeah and when I dropped the tank I found this tucked up behind the bumper:

Obviously it's had a towbar installed at some point. Not exactly my first choice of tow vehicle, but whatever, I chopped it off and put it in the bin.
    Norbie!

Comment

My aw11 im putting a 2gr into has tow bar wiring as well, people in the 80s were weird.

Did lol at the comments on FB about your welds, how good are people.

Comment

Ha, that's pretty funny about the gauge sticking like that.
        at least with a new pump you know it won't be running lean under boost!

Comment

Originally posted by kedderz View Post
          Did lol at the comments on FB about your welds, how good are people.
          Ah yes that's facebook for you, here I am trying to have a bit of fun on the cheap and people want to talk about how the welds aren't pretty. I'd like to see what the complainer is building, I bet it's nothing!

Originally posted by LB-XP View Post
          at least with a new pump you know it won't be running lean under boost!
          Well I sure hope not, it's only a weenie 180 lph pump but then again I shouldn't be running much boost. Having a wideband gauge hooked up is a good idea though.
          Norbie!

Comment

This is coming along very nicely.

Comment

Thanks, I'm pretty happy with where it's going so far!

I received some overnight parts from Toowoomba this morning - a Haltech firewall grommet, the IACV mentioned earlier, and an air filter. I'm probably getting a bit ahead of myself with the latter but I'll need one eventually and wasn't sure how many I'd need to order until I found one that works.

Well I guess I got lucky, the only brand that Goleby's stocks includes a version that fits more or less perfectly:

I think I can live with that.

EDIT: I may have spoken too soon. Looking at that photo again, the PS pump inlet looks like it's pointing straight at the filter. I haven't installed the reservoir yet because I need to find a new home for it (it used to live where the turbo is now), so hopefully I can find something that works, but I'll have to play with this some more.
              Last edited by Norbie; 30-09-20, 10:42 AM.
              Norbie!

Comment

Looks sick but seriously go finish the supra pls :p
                #WHOTW award winner #blessed #susanalbumparty

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Ed View Post
                  Looks sick but seriously go finish the supra pls :p
                  Progress pics of your Supra not loading.
                  Norbie!

Comment

Yeah but mines not as interesting as yours!
                    #WHOTW award winner #blessed #susanalbumparty

Comment

All comments deleted just as I was getting warmed up!
                      Proudly presenting the new foot long chocolate Subway.
                      Originally posted by ALLMTR
                      Rats tail haircut used to mean make sure the OC spray is shaken

Comment

Originally posted by Norbie View Post
                        EDIT: I may have spoken too soon. Looking at that photo again, the PS pump inlet looks like it's pointing straight at the filter. I haven't installed the reservoir yet because I need to find a new home for it (it used to live where the turbo is now), so hopefully I can find something that works, but I'll have to play with this some more.
                        90 degree fittings and a remote reservoir. Fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Bolt View Post
                          All comments deleted just as I was getting warmed up!
                          Awww someone's a killjoy!

Originally posted by mizone View Post
                          90 degree fittings and a remote reservoir. Fixed.
                          It already had a remote reservoir. The pump inlet fitting is a fairly specific looking thing,not sure I'll have much luck finding a 90 degree replacement - unless someone can correct me on that? Ideally I'd put a -10 adapter on it like I have on the 2JZ pump but I don't if they're available for these older style pumps.
                          Norbie!

Comment

Today's goal was to get the wideband working, I did that and also ticked a few more items off the list.

Some very temporary wiring in the passenger footwell:

The grey box is a tacho signal converter that lets me use the Haltech square wave output with the factory tacho.I bought it nearly 20 years ago for the Supra, and I'm relieved to see it still works! The smaller red box is the controller for my PLX wideband gauge.

Here you can see the tacho showing the correct reading as the engine idles, and the PLX gauge lit up, plus the boost gauge on the floor which I decided to hook up while I was there:

As expected the engine was running very lean. I spent a little bit of time playing with the fuel maps on the Haltech and I did get it to idle a lot smoother once I got the AFR up to more sensible levels, but I decided not to waste too much time with this since I'll be putting bigger injectors in soon and will have to adjust everything again.

While I was playing around in there I got sick of looking at the hole where the shifter should be, so I re-installed that along with the new shifter bush kit I bought a while back:

With that I could almost go for a drive around the block, except that I haven't put any fluid in the clutch hydraulics yet and who knows if the clutch even works considering who installed it.

Another quick video to prove the various instruments are actually working:

I still have to run a new wire for the temp gauge, but other than that the instruments are all sorted now! I do have a fair bit of work ahead of me getting that wiring to an acceptable state, but at least there are no more unknowns, I just have to roll up my sleeves and get it done.

Apart from that there aren't many major things left on my list. Intercooler + piping is a fairly big one, and obviously I need to get it running well enough that I can drive it to a dyno to get tuned properly, but that might be it apart from a hundred fiddly little jobs?
                            Last edited by Norbie; 30-09-20, 07:03 PM.
                            Norbie!

Comment

Last night I got my vacuum pump brake bleeding kit out and tried using it for the first time. It worked brilliantly on the clutch, and I was able to confirm the clutch is working properly by rowing through the gears with the engine running and the wheels off the ground. In theory I could have gone for a drive except that the brakes don't work, so probably not a great idea.

Next I tried to bleed the brakes but I ahd no success with that, the pump would pull a vacuum but no fluid came through. I'll have another go when I have an assistant to pump the pedal for me.

After that I got stuck into the wiring. The mission was to get the Haltech harness through the firewall without pulling all the HVAC gear out of the way and without de-pinning all the connectors. It was a huge PITA doing it this way but I think doing it the "proper" way would have taken far longer. Anyway, I only had a tiny gap between the HVAC components to shove all the wires through and there were lots of things to get snagged on, so I wrapped up various bundles of wires and pushed them through one at a time with the help of a length of fencing wire as a puller:

This was immensely frustrating (especially doing it solo) but I got there in the end. The frustration wasn't over though - the next job was to get the new Haltech firewall grommet installed. The big connector on the Haltech end was way too big to shove through there so I had to do it there other way, one connector at a time. It took fucking ages but I'm almost there:

There's only one connector left to go, the big one for the ignition module which you can see above with the big red and black wires going to it. I don't think I can fit this one through so I'm going to have to de-pin it. This can sometimes be easy and sometimes be a rage-inducing exercise that wastes hours, we shall see which one it is later today!

Unbelievably the above was about 3 hours of fucking around, but there were no major disasters so I'm calling it a win.
                              Norbie!

Comment

Yesterday's mission was to get power to the ECU without getting close to the exhaust, so I decided to route the wires through the inner guard along with the factory wiring for the headlights etc. So starting near the battery I have the red and orange main power feeds for the Haltech, the black ground wire which is bolted to the inside of the guard along with the battery -ve cable, and the other red wire going through the fuse holder is picking up the switched 12v for the original ignition coil. There is also some black corrugated conduit visible, that's the wires for the wideband sensor. All of that disappears into an opening in the inner guard just next to the battery:

It comes out here:

Then goes into the back corder of the engine bay here:

Then in the engine bay the power + ground wires are terminated in a 4-pin Deutsch plug, and the wideband wires continue through the firewall:

So that's all the wires on that side of the engine bay all neatly hidden away and kept well clear of hot exhaust components. It was a fair bit of stuffing around but worth it I think!
                                Norbie!

Comment

Working...
                                X