RA65 Celica - the wedge of cheese

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks sick. Annoyingly sick for a back-up side-hoe project :p

Do you have a nutsert tool for all those bracketry shenanigans? I have a cheap kit I got for maybe $40 and its pretty awesome and came with a heap of fittings. Better than giving the guards a reach-around every time I do anything
    #WHOTW award winner #blessed #susanalbumparty

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Ed View Post
      Looks sick. Annoyingly sick for a back-up side-hoe project :p
      Thanks! I wound up putting way more effort into it than I'd planned, but it's been fun.

Originally posted by Mr Ed View Post
      Do you have a nutsert tool for all those bracketry shenanigans?
      Sure do, it's got heaps of use on this project and the Supra as well, they're awesome things!

I got a bit more work done tonight, the IACV is wired in properly now:

I spent a bit more time fooling around with the PWM settings and I think I made some progress, it looks like a cycle time of around 20-30ms works pretty well, my original guess of 2ms does basically nothing. I still need to play with it some more but at least I know it's doing something now - and it's really noisy too, you can't miss it when it's doing something!

That was the last of the wires I needed to connect, so I gathered up all the left over wires and jammed them inside the guard where they'll be out of the way, and put the washer bottle back in its original location:

Looking much tidier in that corner now! I don't like the look of that black conduit (I'm not using it anywhere on the Supra) but it's quick and easy and gets the job done, so it will do for this project.

Next I got started installing the gauges properly in the interior - I have a bracket bolted onto the A pillar trim for the boost gauge, and I need to find a spot for the wideband gauge but I'm thinking maybe on the left side of the instrument cluster, same location I had it on the Supra way back when. I hope to have that squared away by tomorrow, and then I can spend the weekend sorting out the intercooler pipes and maybe go for a drive. Fingers crossed!
      Norbie!

Comment

Just for giggles I dug up the old photo of when I installed the PLX gauge on the Supra (warning potato cam circa 2005):

I probably still have that instrument cluster surround with the bracket screwed into it so I can just swap that right over, nice and easy. I just have to find it in my huge pile of old car parts!
        Norbie!

Comment

The mailman arrived with lots of goodies for me this morning - some new rubber hose for the turbo oil drain, a bunch of silicone pipe joiners for the intercooler, and most exciting of all, a set of 510cc Evo injectors courtesy of Death Monkey. That should keep me busy for a while!

My plan is to install the injectors (replacing the original 200cc ones), drop the fuel pressure from a ridiculous 80psi to a more sensible 40psi, and re-load the original fuel map which I saved before I started screwing with it. The fuel map was way too lean to begin with, so I'm hoping the bigger injectors will compensate for that and leave me with a rich (but still workable) fuel map. This is pure guesswork though, who knows what I'll end up with. Let's find out!
          Norbie!

Comment

I managed to find the instrument cluster surround from the Supra, it was a bit filthy but yes it had a bracket screwed into the side of it for the AFR gauge. Didn't take me long to get it installed along with the old Autometer boost gauge:

So that's all the instruments working, and I have everything I need to do a road tune! There is still one small thing to take care of, the backlight for the boost gauge isn't wired in. Pretty low on the priority list right now, but it will be a good thing to have for night driving.
            Last edited by Norbie; 09-10-20, 05:42 PM.
            Norbie!

Comment

Another very productive day today, the intercooler pipes were finished using whatever scraps I had left over in the pile of old pipes. It's a little bit on the low side at the front but not the worst I've done:

I used a lot of new silicone joiners, I'm not so keen on recycling those:

I was worried about getting the air filter on with the power steering lines in the way, but with a small amount of wedging I got it on there:

It's complete enough now that I even put the bonnet back on!

Next I bled the brakes with a bit of help, which turned out to be a bit of a pain because one of the bleed ports was inexplicably blocked, so I had to take that caliper off to clear it up. The fluid that came out of the system was basically mud, who knows when it had last been changed, but it's all good now and the brakes even work!

I went for a little drive around the block, and apart from the engine running incredibly lean it all went quite well. The turbo made spooly noises and even made some positive pressure with very little provocation, but I think that might be more to do with the ignition timing being too retarded, I'll need to check that again. But anyway, nothing fell off or caught on fire, so that's a great success!

I wanted to swap in the new injectors and get the engine running better but I ran out of juice for the day, hopefully I can get that done tomorrow. I'll need to book it in for a tune now I guess!
              Norbie!

Comment

does the line running from the top of the valve cover to the inlet plenum have a 1-way valve in it?

Comment

Nice work man, looking a suitable mix of ghetto and "this guy knows what he is doing" - it's very Norbie.
                  Hide yo' wife!!!

Comment

Nice work :D

| 1963 RK43 Toyota Lite-Stout (Stanley) | 2002 EC5W Mitsubishi Legnum VR-4 Type-S (Larry) |

Comment

Originally posted by jasonp1977 View Post
                      does the line running from the top of the valve cover to the inlet plenum have a 1-way valve in it?
                      No, which is why I disconnected it before going for a drive. I have a catch can on order so all of that will be getting revised soon.

Originally posted by piss98 View Post
                      Nice work man, looking a suitable mix of ghetto and "this guy knows what he is doing" - it's very Norbie.
                      LOL thanks, that's a perfect description actually.
                      Norbie!

Comment

Today's mission was to get the new 510cc injectors installed. Here they are next to the original 200cc injectors:

They look pretty similar and they fit on the rail no worries, and I was relieved to see there were no leaks when the fuel pump fired up.

While I had that part of the engine apart I took the opportunity to replace the electrical connectors for the injectors, which were the crumbling remains of the 40 year old 18R-GEU ones. I'd already purchased some new ones, so I crimped on some short lengths of wire like so:

Then soldered them into the loom and taped it up to make it look a bit better than it was:

It's not the neatest job I've done but it will do for this project.

All back together:

After that I reduced the fuel pressure from 80psi to 40psi, then re-loaded the original fuel map for the 18R-G and started the engine. As expected it was running very rich but after a bit of page-down action I got it to a more reasonable place and went for a drive to the servo because I was nearly out of fuel. I was hoping it would run a bit smoother now that it was rich instead of lean, but no such luck. I picked up a friend who played around with the maps from the passenger seat while I drove but we couldn't get it running nice or making any sort of power - in fact it was making noticeably less power than the stock engine even though the turbo was making plenty of boost, so we knew something wasn't right.

To cut a long and painful story short, we eventually realised that cylinders 2 and 3 were not operating at all. We didn't believe it at first, but we disconnected injectors 2 and 3 while the engine was idling and it made no difference at all. I didn't think it would be possible to even start the engine on two cylinders, let alone drive around like that!

Some more diagnosing found the souce of the fault, the number 2 coil in the ignition module was dead so no spark on cylinders 2 and 3. I bench tested the module and was able to manually trigger a spark on coil 1, but coil 2 was totally dead. That'll do it!

So I need a new ignition module, ideally the exact same one since I've changed a bunch of stuff to make the engine work with that specific module. I was a bit annoyed at first because I bought it from NZ and didn't want to wait to ship another one over (or even worse try to make a warranty claim and send the broken one back), but then I googled "Subaru ignition module" and photos of the exact same thing popped up all over the place, turns out it's a common part and I can get them anywhere. So that's what I'm going to do, hopefully I can have a new one in my hands by next weekend. It might make quite a bit more power running on 4 cylinders instead of 2!
                        Norbie!

Comment

What's with the soldering of the injector plugs? Would be better off crimping them straight to the pin to eliminate issues down the track.

The connectors aren't expensive at all to buy. https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/4x-EV1-I...YAAOSwOdpXzLlK

But I suppose you gotta have some ghetto in the build

Comment

The old injector plugs had already been soldered on when I made a frankenstein loom ~15 years ago out of half an 18R-GEU loom and a Haltech flying lead harness, so I was just replacing them with different soldered on bits. The only way to get rid of the join would be to replace the injector wires all the way back to the ECU plug, and that wasn't going to happen!

I know a lot of people say you should never solder wires together on a car but I've been doing it for decades now and I've never had one fail. Just do it right and it seems to be fine?
                            Norbie!

Comment

Already sourced the igniter?

Comment

Yes, I found a second hand ignition module at the Gold Coast for $65, I'm hoping it will get here quickly since it's so close but who knows these days.
                                Norbie!

Comment

Working...
                                X