No announcement yet.

RA65 Celica - the wedge of cheese

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

22RE's are popular in the states 4runners et al, surely there's a yumcha racing manifold from ebay which would be ghetto enough such a build?

Comment

Yeah even in the US there isn't much available. I have found one or two but when you include shipping (if they ship at all) the price is well outside what I'm willing to spend on a zero dollar project.
      Norbie!

Comment

Cheap turbo flange, few sections of steam pipe. You'll have it done for $50ish.

Comment

DIY water injection instead of intercooler? Or is that too far into the piston-melting end of the ghetto turbo scale?

Comment

The various parts hoards contain multiple intercoolers and lots of bits of pipe and silicone joiners, so we should be able to fashion a proper front mount setup for zero dollars without being too ghetto. The only constraint is that nothing gets butchered in the process (I'll avoid cutting holes altogether if possible) and the AC has to remain intact. It looks doable but it will be a tight squeeze, there's definitely a lot less room to play with compared to the Supra!
            Norbie!

Comment

On a whim I decided to put the original stereo back in. I'm sure the CD head unit it came with was objectively superior in every way, but realistically I was never going to use it - I've owned my Soarer for something like 3 years and never played a CD in it once.

I was expecting butchered wiring as is nearly always the case with installs like this, but was pleasantly surprised to find an adaptor harness had been used and the original wiring was untouched:

The old stereo went in easily as you'd expect, and it looks just perfect:

I wasn't very surprised to find the tape deck doesn't work, it just makes clicking noises and the tape doesn't advance at all. Probably something as simple as a broken belt but let's be honest I'll never use it to actually play a tape so I'm not going to try fixing it. The radio seems to work and that's good enough, not that I really listen to the radio any more either. I think I got old.

In less cromulent news I discovered that a previous owner had disassembled the interior trim around the stereo caveman style, and every single mounting tab has been snapped off. In the photo above it looks like the radio surround is attached to the car but it isn't, it's loosely held in by friction. The centre console appears to be even worse but I haven't had a close look at it yet. It's a bit of a disappointment because I thought the interior was mint, but that's old car life I guess. On the plus side I think I have a few spare interior bits in my Supra parts stash so I might be able to make some improvements here.

While I was playing in that area I decided to trace some rather suspect non-factory wiring which had been poked through the firewall and was doing fuck-knows-what. I eventually worked out that the car had aftermarket fog lights or something at one point, and some dipshit had done the world's worst wiring job - honestly I'm amazed the car didn't burn to the ground years ago. The lights are long gone so the wiring was doing nothing except pose a fire risk so I ripped it all out. There's still an unexplained non-factory relay and associated wiring in the engine bay which I need to properly trace, but it's fairly close to the starter motor so I think it might just be a quick fix for the starter solenoid not getting enough voltage. But you never know with old cars so I'd better check it out properly.
              Norbie!

Comment

Got my new tyres fitted today:

Fitment seems quite good with the tyre sizes I chose:

I was especially concerned about the front as the 215/65s I had on there were scraping a bit on corners, but the new 205/60s are quite a bit shorter:

It all sits inside the guards quite nicely:

On the quick trip home I didn't notice any scraping even when provoked so I think that issue is sorted. I really wanted 225s all around but the front guards just aren't big enough without the flares, there seems to be plenty of room in the rears though.

All in all I'd consider that a great success. Unsurprisingly the car drove a fair bit better after upgrading from 20 year old mismatched tyres, but it still rolls and pitches in an alarming fashion so the suspension will for sure need some work before I feel confident punting it around even at moderate speeds. That's on the list but maybe not for a while.

The next job is to pull the engine out and get started on rust repairs, possibly this weekend but it depends what else I have going on. I hope to have it out and back in relatively quickly but you never know how these things go.
                Norbie!

Comment

Originally posted by kedderz View Post
                  22RE's are popular in the states 4runners et al, surely there's a yumcha racing manifold from ebay which would be ghetto enough such a build?
                  https://www.lceperformance.com/22RE-...-p/1071008.htm
                  Considering the number of homebrew turbo 22R Hilux/4 runners I know I wasn't even aware this kit was still around.
                  Last edited by irsa76; 23-06-20, 08:28 PM.

Comment

Wow, more than I paid for the whole car, and that's not including shipping from the US. I think that might be a little out of the budget!

Those guys do have some pretty nice gear for 22R's, if spending lots of money on a 22R is something you want to do.
                    Norbie!

Comment

jelly

Comment

Love it, big fan!!

Comment

Yeah the engine fan is a decent size I suppose?

Dad jokes aside, I've been having a hoot driving this thing around for the last week or so. Yeah it rattles and squeaks and the windows don't seal properly but it's all part of the old-school experience! Very much a trip down memory lane, especially with the seats and steering wheel from the Supra. The broken AC isn't a problem at the moment but once the weather warms up I reckon the Soarer will start to look more appealing again.

Anyway back to serious business. I vacated my engine stand last night (the old 18R-G is sitting on a tyre for now) so I'm ready to get started pulling the 22R out this weekend. The goal is to have it out and back in again as quickly as possible - I think I can probably have it done and driving again in a week if nothing too unexpected happens? Famous last words, but we shall see. I have all the gear I need for a decent service while I'm at it, fluids and filters and a new set of plug leads etc all arrived this week. I'm thinking I might change the gearbox oil as well and see if that improves the gearshift a bit - the synchros must have a fair bit of wear, it's harder to get into gear than I remember from any of my previous W58's. Might as well do the diff while I'm at it too. Who knows when it last got a service like this, probably many years!
                          Norbie!

Comment

Today was the big day, I moved the Supra out of the way and got the Celica up on the hoist. The first job was to get the transmission out. It's actually pretty clean under there all things considered:

The W55 was absolutely encrusted in a thick layer of black grease after many years of leaks from who knows where, so it got a good blast from the pressure washer:

With the transmission out of the way I could get a better look at what the leaking clutch master cylinder had done, and it was even worse than I'd realised, with paint damage and rust going a fair way back along the chassis rail:

On the plus side it's clearly had the steering rack reconditioned recently - they're not painted from the factory and that paint looks pretty fresh:

The plate behind the flywheel is also encrusted with grease, obviously the rear main seal had been leaking for a long time:

The rest of the floorpan looks mint though:

Anyway the 22R is out and the full extent of the paint damage is visible - quite a lot of paint came right off with the pressure washer:

I'll have to pull everything else out of the engine bay so I can repair all that damage properly. Way more work than I was expecting, but there's no avoiding it now.

The 22R is on a stand ready to have lots of superfluous bullshit removed before it goes back in the car:

I've also decided the radiator needs replacing (and upgrading), along with all the coolant hoses, probably should do the water pump, and it would be silly not to do all the gaskets and seals I can easily get at now. The Haltech will be running the show from this point on so I can get rid of 90% of all those ridiculous vacuum lines and solenoids etc, and I'll probably do the turbo installation at the same time.

First things first though, that rust is nasty and needs to be fixed. It'll be a big job, definitely not the quick and easy repair I'd originally imagined, but definitely worth doing IMO because this car is worth saving I think.
                            Norbie!

Comment

Man ,you do work fast.
                              great thread

Comment

All hail 80s Toyota Jesus and his 3 day resurrections

Comment

Working...
                                X