No announcement yet.

RA65 Celica - the wedge of cheese

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last night I wired up the narrowband O2 output from the PLX wideband controller to the Haltech. As I was setting it up in the Haltech software I noticed it actually will accept a 0-5v wideband input, not sure if it's worth re-wiring it though? In any case it didn't seem to be doing much, I could see the sensor voltage on the laptop and the numbers looked pretty much right but I couldn't see it having any impact on the AFR when I went for a test drive. I'm probably not setting it up right, does anyone know how this stuff is supposed to work?
    Norbie!

Comment

I went digging through my stash today to see what Supra brake parts I have. Looks like I have the complete trailing arm setup, with handbrake cables intact which is important because they're different:

I don't have discs but hopefully I can find a pair of new ones (although they were hard to find last time I went looking which was a long time ago), but more importantly I couldn't find calipers anywhere. Fortunately a guy on the Toymods facebook group had a pair he was willing to sell so it looks like this could be a thing after all!

I also found this in my pile of junk, the factory LSD diff out of my Supra:

This will be a direct swap into the Celica and it could definitely use the extra traction, it's already doing single peggers in the first three gears when it comes on boost. The only thing making me hesitate is the gear ratio - the Celica has 3.58:1 gears which is a good match for the low-revving 22R, but the Supra diff has 4.11:1 gears which I don't think would work very well at all. Obviously I could pay a diff shop to combine the two so I get a 3.58:1 LSD, but I have to think about if I actually want to spend the money or if I'm happy doing single peggers everywhere.
      Norbie!

Comment

Single Peggers everywhere

| 1963 RK43 Toyota Lite-Stout (Stanley) | 2002 EC5W Mitsubishi Legnum VR-4 Type-S (Larry) |

Comment

You can swap the diff centre pumpkin yourself - there is no back lash etc to check because you are not changing gears etc. just swap the pumpkins and your done!

Comment

Yes I know, but I'll end up with a poorly matched gear ratio if I do it that way, hence the talk of getting gears swapped.
            Norbie!

Comment

I took the wedge of cheese for a drive up to Toowoomba yesterday, its first major outing since I got it back on the road. It handled the task pretty well, and while it is fairly noisy overall it wasn't too bad cruising on the highway at ~100-110 km/h.

Some observations:
              - The speedo is borked, it reads at least 10 km/h too fast but far worse than that at higher speeds, ie it's not a linear error. Not sure what could cause that?
              - The AC works well on the highway but it struggled in traffic on a relatively hot day. I think I need to install an electric fan sooner than later.
              - The front suspension feels terrible, I need to get rid of those chopped springs stat! It wanders around a fair bit on the highway too, pretty sure it's in dire need of a wheel alignment.
              - Going up the Toowoomba range there was a boy racer in a lowered late model Golf thing zipping up the hill at speed, I wanted to embarass him in my shitbox (definitely would have chopped him) but the engine pinged pretty badly as soon as I loaded it up. Not sure if this was the hot weather or the fact I was loading it up more than I ever have previously, but in any case I had to let the Golf go to avoid grenading my engine. That tune can't come soon enough!

On the way through Withcott I dropped by John Abbott's place and ogled his ex Group A MA61 Supra which was extremely cool. He very generously donated a pair of MA61 rear calipers which is the missing piece of the puzzle I need to do the rear disc conversion, so it looks like that's going ahead now!
              Norbie!

Comment

Originally posted by Norbie View Post
                Yes I know, but I'll end up with a poorly matched gear ratio if I do it that way, hence the talk of getting gears swapped.
                uh? no no no no no - lol

use the celica diff and gears and the ma61 lsd.....

Comment

Originally posted by Norbie View Post
                  I took the wedge of cheese for a drive up to Toowoomba yesterday, its first major outing since I got it back on the road. It handled the task pretty well, and while it is fairly noisy overall it wasn't too bad cruising on the highway at ~100-110 km/h.

Some observations:
                  - The speedo is borked, it reads at least 10 km/h too fast but far worse than that at higher speeds, ie it's not a linear error. Not sure what could cause that?

the cable inside the speedo tube needs regreasing methinks - 35 year old grease is a little cruddy

Comment

A speedo cable that needs lube causes the speedo to jump around doesn't it? Not become faster.
                    Norbie!

Comment

Yes

no

maybe ^-^

Comment

How do you regrease it anyway? You mean the whole cable???

Comment

Originally posted by richzx View Post
                          How do you regrease it anyway? You mean the whole cable???
                          pull the steel wire from the sheath and get dirty

Comment

I'd guess the speedo gear itself isn't correct? And would actually be a linear inaccuracy (the inaccuracy reported on the gauge increases the faster it turns)?

When I changed diff ratios (3.07:1 -> 3.9:1) I had to wait a day or two to get it sorted (in the ECU in my case). The 0-'180km/h' speeds were impressive

Comment

Did it read wrong before the conversion? Nothing has changed that should affect that has it?
                              Previously known as Lobster, Chuss's brother's anus, Chuss's brother, Lobsook, Lobstersock, Socks, Sockz, MissAmericaImportGirl, ClutchCLobster

CJM 4 Life yo!

Comment

I didn't notice anything obviously wrong with the speedo when I first drove it, but I didn't drive it much before I started pulling it apart.

And no nothing has changed with the diff or transmission since then.
                                Norbie!

Comment

Working...
                                X