Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice work!

I hear that 18R-Gs are a bolt-in swap for a 2R if it needs a new home

| 1963 RK43 Toyota Lite-Stout (Stanley) | 2002 EC5W Mitsubishi Legnum VR-4 Type-S (Larry) |

Originally posted by Old Major
    Perhaps she feels inadequate when you cum in other guys?

Comment

Might want to pull the head off while it's out and check for corrosion. The prerunner forum I'm on has a few guys with 22Rs and a couple of the turbo ones, both factory and conversion, have been having issues with corroded heads pressurising the cooling system. All but one found pin holes in the head, the last one was obviously fubar but none had BHG or even bolt stretch. None were running big boost either, all >15psi.

Comment

Originally posted by irsa76 View Post
        Might want to pull the head off while it's out and check for corrosion.
        Yikes. After pulling bits off the engine I've found quite a lot of corrosion inside the cooling system. It had red coolant in it when I bought the car but it's obviously been running on tap water for quite a while.

Anyway I spent a few hours yesterday pulling the manifolds, accessories and other random bullshit off the 22R. This is where it's at now, it's actually recognisable as an engine:

I still need to get the water pump off and see how bad it is in there, and the block will need a thorough scrub, but it feels good to pull everything down and see what I'm actually dealing with. Turns out there's a 4 cylinder engine under all that junk!

The bits I pulled off were pretty manky after decades of various oil leaks:

Some degreaser and a pressure washer improved that situation considerably:

This is the pile of stuff that came off the engine and won't be going back on:

This includes the mechanism which injects air into the exhaust and exhaust into the inlet air, plus a maze of vacuum hoses and valves and solenoids, because Toyota. The air box and flapper-style AFM are also going in the bin, as is the engine loom and ECU (not pictured). Lots of simplification is possible by letting the engine management system handle all of that stuff like it's supposed to. Al from the Skid Factory recently had a bit of a rant about Toyota pulling this sort of shit in the 80s and 90s, he certainly wasn't wrong!

Anyway I'm ordering all the replacement parts I need to get this thing back together in working order, so that should happen over the next couple of weeks. The old 18R-G Haltech loom is laid out on the bench getting tagged, hopefully that should be pretty close to plug and play. But the next job is to clean that filthy engine bay and remove all the rust, I hope to get started on that later today.
        Norbie!

Comment

replace timing chain and/or TC guides also.

Comment

According to the previous owner that had been done recently, so hopefully I can skip that one.
            Norbie!

Comment

I got the water pump off, it's not too bad behind there:

The water pump itself doesn't look great so a new one is certainly advisable:

There's evidence of bodgy leak repairs on the thermostat housing, I can probably clean in up to an acceptable state but I'll see if I can find a new one:

I also had a closer look at the fuel rail:

That's a pulsation dampener on the inlet side to the right, and the M12 hole on the left is where the pressure regulator was. I've ordered a 12mm banjo to 6AN adapter so I can hook that up to my old Sard pressure regulator sitting on a shelf somewhere.

The M8 banjo bolt on top of the rail is for the cold start injector:

Of course the cold start injector is going in the bin so I need to plug this up. I had trouble finding a suitable M8x1.0 plug with crush washer but I wound up sourcing one from the UK which will hopefully do the trick.

As for the injectors themselves the internet tells me they're 200cc Denso top feeds. My Haltech is tuned for an 18R-G with 210cc injectors so I reckon this will be close enough that it should at least start and run with the existing map? Fingers crossed anyhow.

I have some larger top feed injectors sitting around somewhere that were originally going in the new 18R-G, something like 700-800cc or something like that? Anyway they're too small for the 18R-G now that I'm going E85, but they're probably a bit big for what I'm doing here, so I'll have to decide if I want to keep it in the zero dollar budget or splurge on a cheap set of 440's or whatever. It looks like there are chinesium ones available on ebay at a suspciously low price but I'm not sure if I'd trust them.
              Norbie!

Comment

I just spent about $600 ordering maintenance stuff for the 22R. I got a VRS kit (won't use all of it but it was the cheapest way to get inlet/exhaust manifold gaskets), all new radiator/heater hoses, water pump, thermostat, radiator cap, front/rear main seals, transmission seals and bushes, engine mounts, transmission mount and a clutch master + slave. It all adds up fast!

I also had a radiator on my list but it looks like no-one makes them any more with the possible exception of PWR who want something like $1200, and that really blows the zero dollar budget! So I need to look into adapting a radiator from a different car - initial research indicates that AE86, NA MX5 and some sort of WRX are possible candidates. I'll probably have to get the measuring tape out and go from there, but if anyone can point me in the right direction I'd be grateful!

Still on the list is springs, shocks and suspension bushes. I think I'll leave that until the engine is back in and running, which might not happen for a while judging by what's happened in the last few days!
                Norbie!

Comment

Is it worth doing head studs whilst you have the chance?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Torque sells tow cars.
                  Horsepower wins horse races.

Comment

Nah I don't want to open it up if I can avoid it, that's when things start getting expensive and then I'll blow the zero dollar budget for real. If I'm going to spend actual money on this car I'd rather do an engine conversion of some sort. A BEAMS 3S-GE + 6-speed sounds nice.

Yesterday's activities was mostly cleaning up filthy stuff, including the engine block and the last of the brackets etc that were still attached to it. I also had a closer look at the thermostat housing, I was hoping to save it but after cleaning it up with a wire wheel it's obvious I'll never be able to get a radiator hose to seal on it. So I've been looking for replacements, and it turns out you can get reproductions:

This is listed as a 4Runner part (22r carbie) but as you can see it's quite a bit shorter than the one I have for my 22R-E. It might still work though. but I'll wait until the inlet manifold etc is back on the engine before I decide what to do. The 22R has a crazy setup where the water pump outlet flows through the lower inlet manifold so the thermostat housing is attached to that. Fuck knows why.

Anyway that's probably as much engine work as I can do until parts start arriving, so I'm going to get stuck into the engine bay cleanup today. Wish me luck!
                    Norbie!

Comment

love the small rebuild mate, if it was me id swap in a 2gr from a late hilux

i hated thos e 22r things when i was an apprentice. sooo much bolted to them.
                      Last edited by Sloth; 30-06-20, 01:12 PM.
                      I am junkie for swedish high quality shitboxes. my latest fix is this...
                      WANTED: HOLDEN CALIBRA - WHAT YA GOT?
                      robslothyoung - follow me on insta.

Comment

I can understand the hate when they were in factory original form, but I'm hopefuly my greatly simplified version will be a much better thing.
                        Norbie!

Comment

agreed. have you thought about carbs? like bike carbs?
                          I am junkie for swedish high quality shitboxes. my latest fix is this...
                          WANTED: HOLDEN CALIBRA - WHAT YA GOT?
                          robslothyoung - follow me on insta.

Comment

I have an irrational fear of carbs, especially multiple carbs. So no.
                            Norbie!

Comment

how in jesus's piss flaps do you have so much time for 15 projects

/jello
                              www.holditflat.com

Comment

Originally posted by Norbie View Post
                                The 22R has a crazy setup where the water pump outlet flows through the lower inlet manifold so the thermostat housing is attached to that. Fuck knows why.
                                Argh my farm ute has the same (4g32), it makes me want to stab the engineer responsible with a screwdriver due l with how many times it's resulted in me having to drain coolant to do unrelated work. My vague idea is that perhaps it was an intake warming strategy for starting the thing in freezing conditions; get the intake manifold up to an operating temp quickly. Sucks balls.

Comment

Working...
                                X