No announcement yet.

RA65 Celica - the wedge of cheese

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

z24 nissan engines are the same, its for intake warming for correct emissions bullshit.
    I am junkie for swedish high quality shitboxes. my latest fix is this...
    WANTED: HOLDEN CALIBRA - WHAT YA GOT?
    robslothyoung - follow me on insta.

Comment

Yeah I guessed it had something to do with intake warming but it still shits me. I have to assume there's much greater potential for coolant leaks with a setup like this. Also random coolant hoses are way harder to get at!

Originally posted by schnitzelburger View Post
      how in jesus's piss flaps do you have so much time for 15 projects
      One possible answer is that I've been working on the Supra for 2 years now and still don't have an estimate for when I'll be able to actually drive it; I would say it's at least a year off. Meanwhile the orange Celica has been on the back burner for about 20 years.
      Norbie!

Comment

I love how cars of this era all have multiple systems you can immediately throw away after which it both runs better and gets better fuel economy.

Comment

Haha it's true, and it's even going to make the car lighter. I should weigh my box of unwanted bits, it's pretty heavy now!

Work has begun on the zero dollar turbo conversion. Yesterday I went to the local steel supplier and bought a chunk of 350x100x12mm steel, which is just slightly larger than the exhaust manifold gasket:

Then I traced out the shape of the gasket:

I'll rough out the outer shape with an angle grinder, then carefully drill the bolt holes on the drill press, and for the ports I'll start with a 35mm hole saw and go from there. I'm undecided if I should reproduce the teardrop shape of the exhaust ports - the port itself is round, the upper part was for the EGR system which of course has been discarded. Obviously it will be a lot less work if I just leave it round but I'm not sure what that will do to exhaust flow. Then again it's a zero dollar turbo conversion so I probably shouldn't over-think it!

So far the zero dollar budget has blown out to $7 (cost of steel), but I'm also looking at a 22R-specific turbo oil line kit on eBay which costs $65. I don't know if I want to break the bank like that but I do need an oil line and it does conveniently have the right fitting for the oil feed in the block...
          Norbie!

Comment

I would port match it, regardless of whether the EGR crap will be there or not, as I would hazzard a guess that it will create a lot of unwanted turbulence, and back pressure.

Progress is epic so far....you have done more on this car since you got it, than I have done on mine in years hahahah

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Ree View Post
              I would port match it, regardless of whether the EGR crap will be there or not, as I would hazzard a guess that it will create a lot of unwanted turbulence, and back pressure.

Progress is epic so far....you have done more on this car since you got it, than I have done on mine in years hahahah
              lol, I wouldn't bother with port matching this lump - the whole 10psi of boost you are running and the terrible flow these heads have you will not notice a thing. Just straight holes and a log manifold and it will be just fine...........
              Last edited by japlish; 01-07-20, 09:53 AM.

Comment

10psi??? Let's not go crazy here!
                Norbie!

Comment

Engine bay has been vacated as much as I can be bothered with so I can give it a good scrubbing:

You can see just how bad the rust was getting:

Looks like I'll have to take out the steering column and the crossmember to clean it all up properly. And I thought it was going to be a quick fix when I bought the car!

I finished cleaning up the engine block and the accessories + brackets etc, so I started re-assembly:

You can't really tell but I re-painted most of the brackets with black engine enamel. Probably a waste of time, they're mostly invisible once the engine is fully back together. Oh well it made me feel better.

I also decided to make use of the oil filter relocation bits I pulled off the 18R-G. The oil filter looks nearly impossible to get at when it's in the car - I haven't done an oil change yet but I really don't want to until the oil filter is in a more sane location! Not sure where that will end up being but nearly anything is better than where it was.

I'm waiting for the new water pump to arrive (hopefully this week) so I can finish putting the accessories back together. The engine bay cleanup should get started on the weekend if nothing else gets in my way.

I wanted to have the car back together and running in a week, doesn't look like I'm going to make it! Pretty decent progress so far though.
                  Norbie!

Comment

The true hackery has begun! Here's the sacrificial RB30 manifold that was going in the bin:

Now it's a 4 cylinder RB30 manifold:

Then we got to work with a drill press and a wobbly hole saw to make a manifold flange out of some 12mm plate:

I still need to remove a lot of excess material around the edges but apart from that it came out OK:

Finally the outer two runners were adjusted slightly for width (it was only about 5mm off) and lightly tack welded onto the flange for a test fit:

The hackery occurred in a different shed so we couldn't check it against the engine for fitment, but of course I did that as soon as I got home. At first it looked great, and flange mounted up with only a small amount of filing on the mounting holes:

No obvious problems fouling anything, even the heater pipe clears everything and there appears to be enough space for a dump pipe and a wastegate. But then I mounted the turbo:

Extreme high mount!! LOL yeah nah that's going to need some revision I think.

Still, not a bad effort for a couple of hours work, and as a proof of concept I think it shows we're on the right track. Version 2.0 will be done in my shed though, that way we can check fitment as we go.

Did I mention the zero dollar budget? Yeah none of this is going to be pretty. But it might just work.
                    Norbie!

Comment

those weird exhaust port . is /was a thing on 351 4v cleveland exhaust ports to use port plates - sort of a flange with tongues that fit in the port to make it smaller .

if cared enough , could do something similar to the 1/2" plate

http://www.mpgheads.com/port_plates_a.php

Comment

Just cut a hole in the bonnet for zero budgetary reasons and reap the interwebs fames.

Comment

looking good mate!

Originally posted by Norbie View Post
                          The true hackery has begun! Here's the sacrificial RB30 manifold that was going in the bin:

Now it's a 4 cylinder RB30 manifold:

Then we got to work with a drill press and a wobbly hole saw to make a manifold flange out of some 12mm plate:

I still need to remove a lot of excess material around the edges but apart from that it came out OK:

Finally the outer two runners were adjusted slightly for width (it was only about 5mm off) and lightly tack welded onto the flange for a test fit:

The hackery occurred in a different shed so we couldn't check it against the engine for fitment, but of course I did that as soon as I got home. At first it looked great, and flange mounted up with only a small amount of filing on the mounting holes:

No obvious problems fouling anything, even the heater pipe clears everything and there appears to be enough space for a dump pipe and a wastegate. But then I mounted the turbo:

Extreme high mount!! LOL yeah nah that's going to need some revision I think.

Still, not a bad effort for a couple of hours work, and as a proof of concept I think it shows we're on the right track. Version 2.0 will be done in my shed though, that way we can check fitment as we go.

Did I mention the zero dollar budget? Yeah none of this is going to be pretty. But it might just work.
                          Last edited by kedderz; 03-07-20, 09:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by PXL265 View Post
                            Just cut a hole in the bonnet for zero budgetary reasons and reap the interwebs fames.
                            If fewer fucks were given I'd probably do it, I think it would look rad! Unfortunately I actually like this car so I have to put in a bit more effort.

Originally posted by kedderz View Post
                            looking good mate!
                            Ahahaha, hopefully my manifold will end up looking better than that, can't make any promises though! If it's too ugly I'll just buy a big roll of heat wrap, no-one will know.
                            Norbie!

Comment

Just flip it over and have a low mount.

Comment

Originally posted by richzx View Post
                                Just flip it over and have a low mount.
                                That's definitely an option we'll be looking at!
                                Norbie!

Comment

Working...
                                X