Clean and green: VE Ute

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clean and green: VE Ute

You know how you get half an idea about buying something and it kind of snowballs?

(You’re car guys. Yes you do).

I’ve been doing Gumtree searches for cheap but interesting cars for a couple of years now but never found one that I wanted enough to do anything about.

At the same time I’d been thinking it would be handy to have a cheap ute that I didn’t care about too much for getting stuff done. Something like a VU-VY or a Crewman, so I could tick “own a Holden Ute” off my list at the same time. Or an F100/F150 just because.

Then VE utes started to turn up at reasonable prices. I’ve always liked those.

And I really liked this Poison Ivy green they had for a couple of years.

And then one of those turned up in a car yard near my parents’ place. And I went to have a look half hoping it would be a shitbox so I wouldn’t buy it. But it wasn’t.

In the background of all this, my Dad’s not well and we don’t know how long he’s got. I get my Holden guy thing from him and we spend half our conversations talking about cars. Him being crook got me thinking about life, and doing things you want to do while you can, and how we’d go pick up cars either of us had bought together, and...

And so now I own a Poison Ivy green VE SV6 manual ute.

Dad came with me to pick it up and he was the most positive I’d seen him in ages. Considering he spent a week in hospital earlier this month, that was something special.

I’m on the way home and didn’t pay for the full version of Tapatalk so that’s the one photo I can post for now

Plans? It’s tidy but not mint. Perfect. I won’t feel bad about having to park it outside and doing Ute things with it, and it gives me just enough little tidy up jobs to do. I reckon I’ll scratch the Ute itch, improve it, and enjoy it for a while.

Also: Please be upstanding for the national anthem.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain_Slow View Post
      Also: Please be upstanding for the national anthem.
      Foot ball. Meat pies , kangaroos and holden cars.

Best anthem eva

PS : nice.
      Last edited by 9triton; 24-06-20, 06:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 9triton View Post

Foot ball. Meat pies , kangaroos and holden cars.

Best anthem eva

PS : nice.
        Yeah, but that was a rip off of the chevrolet marketing jingle of "Baseball, Hot Dogs, Apple Pie, and Chevrolet" which the Seff Africaans appropriated to "Braaivlies, rugby, sunshine chevrolet"

Comment

Nice pickup. Literally...

Cheap Marco ? I like the VE utes but they are either a million bucks or have a million kms !
          The older i get, the better i was...

Comment

Cheap...ish. Not really cheap for a 10 year old car I guess. This one has 170k which isn’t too bad, and most of that was in the country.

Comment

I've been keeping an eye on them, the only "cheap" ones seem to be 250 odd kms on them !
              The older i get, the better i was...

Comment

I quite like these things, although 6l V8 manual would be the go.
                Yours does look good in the green.
                Put some money aside for the inevitable timing chain replacement.

Comment

It has the later SIDI V6 which from my research is better on that front than the earlier cars - have you seen otherwise?

V8 would have been good of course but they are still worth a fair bit more, and I've already got a V8 so this seemed the better way to go.

Comment

A nice comfy way to get ute things done

Comment

Nice looking ute Marco, very good

Comment

Originally posted by Fatboy View Post
                        Nice pickup. Literally...

Cheap Marco ? I like the VE utes but they are either a million bucks or have a million kms !
                        Re-reading my post now I see why you asked about cheap. This turned out to be double what I'd wanted to spend so...no. Hence the "things snowballing" comment! I reached a point where I thought if I was thinking about a cheap shitty ute that I'd have to look at parked out the front of my house I might as well get one that I really like.

Comment

Nice. How do you like those A-pillars?

Comment

Not much...but I’ve owned VE/VFs for 13+ years now so I’m used to them.

Comment

Oh you have a ute? can you help me move house this weekend?
                              Jaguar XJR, Freelander 2 HSE, Jaguar XKR, MINI Cooper S
                              Originally posted by nutttr
                              People must assume you are some sort of drug dealer with all these nice cars turning up to a fibro home

Comment

Working...
                              X