No announcement yet.

Clean and green: VE Ute

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Am late to this party. Looks good. I coveted a HSV ute but when I bought my last car/ first new car I still had children living at home and didn't expect to be empty-nesting in a couple of months.
    If I see a Southern Cross sticker, or a "F*ck Off We're Full" sticker I'll grab you one.
    Fortitudo et Superbiam

Comment

Last piece of the badge puzzle, finally;

No more being mistaken for one of the poors with their inferior port injection for me.

TBH it’s a better engine than I expected. Bags of low end torque, revs pretty well, perhaps not the greatest top end ever but still pretty good. Given they’re alloy, RWD config out of the box, and have a readily available manual, why aren’t they more popular in conversions?

It also turns out you don’t know how much you need a ute until you have a ute, and then you don’t know how you ever lived without one.

Comment

[QUOTE=Captain_Slow;n7191907

It also turns out you don’t know how much you need a ute until you have a ute, and then you don’t know how you ever lived without one.[/QUOTE]

​​​​​​Pretty much the reason why aside from about 5 years there has always been a ute in my garage for the last 25 years or so.....

Comment

Looks good tinted, I reckon:

Comment

Noice.
            Fortitudo et Superbiam

Comment

Originally posted by Captain_Slow View Post
              . Given they’re alloy, RWD config out of the box, and have a readily available manual, why aren’t they more popular in conversions?
              I guess a couple of reasons.
              They are physically quite big, so possibly wouldn't fit in a lot of smaller cars.
              They also don't have a great reputation for reliability, timing chains are a well known and expensive issue, the thermostat is in a ridiculous spot, things like that.

Comment

How do you reckon I’d reglue this? Was thinking some sort of spray glue given I can get in behind it? Driver’s side is similar but not as bad.

Comment

Interesting photo effect there - door trim cloth is not in fact psychedelic greyscale lol

Comment

I have the same problem in the XR4.

You may find the panel the cloth/material is over is welded onto the actual door trims which makes removal a “cut molten tabs off” then plastic weld back on.

In theory using a good spray upholstery contact glue, remove material and wipe/clean surfaces, spray contact adhesive on both and allow to set to the sticky point, bring the two things together from the middle out.

In reality there’s probably a thin layer of foam that’s decomposed that needs to be replaced at the same time. It probably worth either getting a replacement new/used trim or taking the car to a trimmer and having a pro do it (and maybe use a different material if you and inclined).
                    ---
                    Shed Project: 1994 Laser Lynx with BP-T

Comment

Looking behind it, I think you’re right about the decomposed foam. I think I’ll just have a shot at it anyway, I don’t imagine VE cloth door trims are expensive or hard to find if I stuff it up.

Comment

Working...
                      X