Swedish Soot Chucker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swedish Soot Chucker

Sold my fake Volvo (M35 Stagea) about 5 weeks ago now, and was starting to give up on finding something to meet my fussy criteria (2010+, medium to bulk fasts, comfy, sub $25k) that I also actually liked.
    Enter this example of a MY14 XC60 D5 R-Design Polestar that was listed in Canberra at a dealer last Friday:

My step-father has a T6 Polestar in the pre-facelift. I took that for a spin last time I was in QLD and thought it was hilarious fun for a small apartment building on wheels. I guess it was about then that the want first set in.
    I originally set out looking for V60s with the T6 or D5, but in an R-Design with the Polestar pack they're unobtainium. Having a wagon fetish, the XC60 was the next on the list.
    The D5 is the 2.4L 5 pot oil burner with twins. From factory it makes 158kw/440nm, and gets a bump to 169kw/470nm with the Polestar tune. Gets it up to 100km/h in 8.1 seconds.

The R-Design gets all the good gear from the factory, too. 20" wheels, better bumpers, exhaust, seats, etc - makes it a little less soccer mum-like.

It should make for a good daily and weekend highway eater.
    Will need a towbar at some point to be able to cart around my broken crotch rockets, and I will be looking into the bolt-on upgrades to try and squeeze 500nm out of it for the sake of a round number, but otherwise I don't see much reason to do a great deal to it.

Car leaves Canberra on Monday, so fingers crossed it makes it through the virus-ridden wasteland that is Victoria without too much drama and lands here in a reasonable amount of time.
    Swedish Soot Chucker
    Orange Accident KE10

Nice, love me a Ovlov of pretty much any flavour! Looks comfy too!
    Hide yo' wife!!!

Comment

nice.

We're really happy with our V8 xc90, bloody comfy place to sit, and gets along okay for a block of flats.

Pretty sure you'll hate the sat nav though.
      .... because every driver experiences the destructive potential of the effortless surge of power available through the smallest of body movements.

Dr Hoon

DrNick is king!!!! No, Mark Webber is now! Long live the king!... hold on a minute mate, Ricci is in charge now

Comment

Originally posted by nastysven View Post
        nice.

We're really happy with our V8 xc90, bloody comfy place to sit, and gets along okay for a block of flats.

Yep we we hate the sat nav with a passion. Please remove last item from itinerary rather than removing itself when you hit end!

Other than that, we are also happy with our XC60 T6 R design.

Congrats on the purchase man of clenched penises.

Comment

nice.

Fortunately I don't use Sat Nav all that much. I am on the look out for an Android Auto solution though. Sadly, the MMI boxes from AliExpress are 2015+
          Swedish Soot Chucker
          Orange Accident KE10

Comment

I am so mother fucking jealous! Good one mate. The D5 engine is very solid and reliable, too. Pending life situation turning around in the future, something like this would make an excellent replacement for the current family hauler, and look good in the garage next to my C30.

Comment

what do these beasts tow?
              www.holditflat.com

Comment

Originally posted by schnitzelburger View Post
                what do these beasts tow?
                2000kg in the T6 and D5 powerplants
                Swedish Soot Chucker
                Orange Accident KE10

Comment

nice.

I've got a '14 S60 T6 RD with PS pack. I think the Satnav is pretty good, better than the nav in nopics 4 years newer Audi A4. I'm tossing up whether I put a upgraded dump pipe and D088 intercooler on it.

"V60s with the T6 or D5, but in an R-Design with the Polestar pack they're unobtainium" When they released the '14 facelift all the S60 R-Designs came with Polestar pack rather than it previously being a $3000-$4000 option, I assumed this would have been the same with the V60? Or is the unobtanium just about finding a facelift V60 D5/T6 R-design?
                  Last edited by Luke352; 10-07-20, 12:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke352 View Post

I've got a '14 S60 T6 RD with PS pack. I think the Satnav is pretty good, better than the nav in nopics 4 years newer Audi A4. I'm tossing up whether I put a upgraded dump pipe and D088 intercooler on it.

"V60s with the T6 or D5, but in an R-Design with the Polestar pack they're unobtainium" When they released the '14 facelift all the S60 R-Designs came with Polestar pack rather than it previously being a $3000-$4000 option, I assumed this would have been the same with the V60? Or is the unobtanium just about finding a facelift V60 D5/T6 R-design?
                    The latter. They're all fucking T5s or D4s. Nopics is keen on a V60 T6 RD, as she's due for a new car now too, but she's a lot less fluid in her criteria to settle for anything less.
                    Swedish Soot Chucker
                    Orange Accident KE10

Comment

what is the life expectancy of the gearbox in these?"

.... because every driver experiences the destructive potential of the effortless surge of power available through the smallest of body movements.

Dr Hoon

DrNick is king!!!! No, Mark Webber is now! Long live the king!... hold on a minute mate, Ricci is in charge now

Comment

what is the life expectancy of the gearbox in these?"
                        I can't say I ever came across anyone with any box issues when doing my homework on them. Not a lot seems to go wrong with them. Shit, they're so realiable that Volvo literally re-purposed them for marine use too.
                        Swedish Soot Chucker
                        Orange Accident KE10

Comment

How good do those seats look!

Comment

Volvo seats are next level comfy.

Dr Hoon

Comment

The gearbox issues in the old US of A stemmed from "lube" shops undoing the reverse detent thinking it was the fill plug on the gearbox, and dropping a tiny metal grenade into the box. Later/current boxes have a different head on the detent so they can't chuck a spanner on it.
                              Lots of minis & mokes including a G13b powered Sports Sedan, a couple of Swift Gtis, a Goggomobil, Porsche 928S, Polo Gti, BMW 540i, a WRX and a few others.

Comment

Working...
                              X