Babs Project Aristo - there's no boost like nostalgia boost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Babs Project Aristo - there's no boost like nostalgia boost

So, as of right now this is mine. It's a 2001 JZS161 Aristo and plot twist....it's still on its way to Oz and I won't be getting my hands on it for a little while...but it's good to talk :-)

But you guys seem to like stories, so here's the whole story :-) Like everyone else this year the urge to YOLO the purchase of new toys as anti-pandemic retail therapy is strong. So a few months ago, I was chatting with my friend Kristian from Iron Chef, and found myself suddenly instructing him to find me an Aristo. Chop chop.

All of the 90s JDM turbo hero cars have become so expensive and even if you had the scratch for something like a GT-R, there are so few good ones left. And any Chaser or Supra at the auctions tended to have both galactic mileages and also massive prices. A manual Chaser is pushing $50k nowadays.

But an Aristo...well they seemed to have been predominantly bought by older folks, and so low mileage ones were still quite plentiful, and prices were pretty reasonable. So we begin the fun of going through the motions of sourcing a car from Japan.

And it didn't take long. No, this isn't my car...

Within a couple of days, this pops up. A one owner, 15,850km grade 4.5B. Do I want it? Hell yeah I want it.

It was inspected pre-auction and was given the tick of approval. This thing had a new car smell!

It was mint, with the rare black leather option, and unlike most, it was in pretty great nick and would restore beautifully with a little bit of Leatherique lovin

And totally stock in old-man spec. You just don't find Supras and Chasers like this anymore.

The only blemish on the car was that it looked like it had a scrape a garage door, and so the fender and front bumper would need repainting, but it wasn't a big deal. I gave Iron Chef a budget and told them to go for it.

Aaaaand we got promptly outbid.It went for a price which would have worked out to be almost $30k landed and complied, so the car went to a new home that wanted it more badly than I did.

This reminded me of my FD3S search all those years ago: when you have a car with a bit of a unicorn spec, it generally will have a bit of a dogpile effect at auction and someone out there will be willing to pay way over the odds to get it.

And so flip to the next page, gentle reader, for the next car I bid on, and didn't get :-)
    Last edited by Babalouie; 27-07-20, 03:46 PM.
    Japanese Nostalgic Car - Dedicated to classic japanese cars

Pics arent working? But a 4.5b with black leather sounds like my first Soarer, mint spec!
    Originally posted by Jim
    I feel that rules are important as without rules there is no cheating and cheating is a vital part of drag racing.

Originally posted by elfturbomax
    What has happened to PF? It seems to be diesel love now days. Maybe the name should be changed to Particulate Forums.

Comment

pics no work babs!
      Originally posted by Walt Kowalski
      And I’ve explained many times this is not just another four year election.

The outcome will determine civilisation as we know it.

Comment

Hm. How come the pics aren't working

Comment

Photobucket blows goats - you can upload pics direct to the forum now, i would do that
          Originally posted by Jim
          I feel that rules are important as without rules there is no cheating and cheating is a vital part of drag racing.

Originally posted by elfturbomax
          What has happened to PF? It seems to be diesel love now days. Maybe the name should be changed to Particulate Forums.

Comment

Strange...I got heaps of bandwidth, its set at public. It should work like it always does, I've even reuploaded the pics and relinked. I'll send them a support email to let them know who I am and invoke DCR

Comment

You probably haven't paid the upgrade to allow hotlinking or similar bullshit by photofukket

Comment

Originally posted by aerobrick View Post
                You probably haven't paid the upgrade to allow hotlinking or similar bullshit by photofukket
                I did tho. I got so many build thread pics all over the joint, I'm on the paid premium unlimited bandwidth plan

Comment

How awesome is a new Babs build thread? Apparently good things do happen in 2020

Does this mean the Hako has gone to a new owner?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

230SL 'Pagoda' | 911 SC Targa | FC RX-7 Infini

Comment

Originally posted by [CatchMe] View Post
                    How awesome is a new Babs build thread? Apparently good things do happen in 2020

Does this mean the Hako has gone to a new owner?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
                    No, still got the Hako. Nobody wants to buy it! So to console myself I have purchased this (invisible) Aristo for a bit of fun

Comment

Have you PM'd DCR yet? I need pics. Don't you know who I am?
                      Swedish Soot Chucker
                      Orange Accident KE10

Comment

Before I do something rash like PM DCR, let's try a test

Comment

Despite best intentions, test is a no go.

Comment

Indeed. Photobucket support has been informed of who I am.

Comment

Enough of this do you know who I am shit, Photobucket give no fuck for that, they have your monies, now go whistle dixie.

Just upload to the forum and let us enjoy another of your babtastic build threads.

Comment

Working...
                              X