Poppa's Ute

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Poppa's Ute

Warning: Don't expect this thread to go anywhere for a while, the ute is currently in my shed 2 hours away from our house.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7628.jpg
Views:	668
Size:	693.9 KB
ID:	7172513

This was my Poppa's 1200 Ute. He started teaching me to drive in it when I was around 10-11 or so and we had regular "lessons" right up until I got my learners and started driving on the road in my old man's Mini. At first it was just laps around my great-grandma's back yard in first gear but then we went out to the Gympie sale yards where there was enough room to get up to speed and change gears(!). He even got me to practice hill starts, reversing, etc. I really enjoyed the time with him and I'm pretty sure Poppa did too.

When he passed away about 10 years ago nopics organised with Nan for me to inherit the Ute. I parked it in Dad's shed for a while until we bought some land in Gympie and built a shed on it. The master cylinder is buggered so I drove it over to my shed with just the handbrake and it has been sitting there for about 7 years now. Unfortunately life shit got in the way so we had to move back to our house in Brissy and we won't be building a place in Gympie any more. The land, along with my dream shed, is for sale which means I've been thinking about what I want to do with the Ute.

It obviously has huge sentimental value so I'm definitely going to keep it. The trouble is our house only has a double garage and there's already three cars here. I think it's going to end up with the family hauler and my work car staying outside while the S14 and Ute get the garage space. I also need to figure out a way to get it down here. It looks like one way trailer hire would be the cheapest but I don't have anything that could tow one. Need my brother (Toddles on PF) to get the weird issues with his 80 series fixed so he can tow it down for me.

So then the question is what do I want to do with it. It's in pretty rough shape but I'm thinking I'd like to start out by doing whatever it needs to get it registered and back on the road. At the very least it needs a new master cylinder and this rust in the chassis rails at the rear fixed up:

Name:	rustyrail1.jpg
Views:	664
Size:	612.3 KB
ID:	7172515

Name:	rustyrail2.jpg
Views:	658
Size:	572.6 KB
ID:	7172516

If I can get it on the road I think it would be nice to putt around in with the A12, maybe use it to transport bikes or pick up (small) stuff from Bunnings. Eventually I'd like to restore it properly and convert to a modern engine with EFI and a 5 speed.

TBC
    Attached Files

If you can wait until early October and pay for trailer hire from a mob in kalangur I have used before, and prepared to help me move my S14 from Logan to Ashgrove and pick up your ute from Gympie in a day, call it job done.

I'll supply the ute to bring it back to Brisbane.

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

Comment

So a few weeks ago I had to go up to Gympie to do some mowing and tidy up the shed so they can take photos for the real estate listing. While I was there I decided to see if I could get the Ute going after it has been sitting for 7 years.

Got in and turned the key and obviously the battery was completely knackered, didn't even get any lights on the dash. Hooked up jumper leads to the S14 and it turned over but wouldn't fire. I took what I've learnt from Vice Grip Garage and poured some 2 stroke I had in the shed down the carb and tried again - fired up straight away. It even idled!

Name:	A12.jpg
Views:	657
Size:	881.4 KB
ID:	7172524

Took it for a drive around the yard with no brakes to celebrate. Here it is looking tiny beside the 80 series:

Name:	IMG_7631.jpg
Views:	658
Size:	1.21 MB
ID:	7172526
      Attached Files

Comment

Found some more pics on Facebook from when I first picked it up (~10 years ago)

Name:	utefacebook1.jpg
Views:	657
Size:	110.2 KB
ID:	7172528

Name:	utefacebook2.jpg
Views:	652
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	7172532

Name:	utefacebook3.jpg
Views:	645
Size:	125.0 KB
ID:	7172535

Name:	utefacebook4.jpg
Views:	647
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	7172531

Name:	utefacebook5.jpg
Views:	643
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	7172530

Name:	utefacebook6.jpg
Views:	645
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	7172534

Name:	utefacebook7.jpg
Views:	637
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	7172533
        When I first started driving this thing I had to sit on a cushion - now I can only just get my knees past the steering wheel

Name:	utefacebook8.jpg
Views:	641
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	7172529
        The paint feels like it's about 5mm think - Pretty sure Poppa got a few cheap resprays over the years.

Comment

Heart.

love the 1200s. Continue if I've ever mentioned it - but I have a coupe that I will eventually do something with.
          Previously known as Lobster, Chuss's brother's anus, Chuss's brother, Lobsook, Lobstersock, Socks, Sockz, MissAmericaImportGirl, ClutchCLobster, Clock Lobster

CJM 4 Life yo!

Comment

Sound 4 stezza, that brings back some memories.

Great little datto, love em. I learnt to drive in a Datto 1000 when I was 10.

Don't mention the adBlocker !!

Comment

Im keen to see this.
              i got a 1200 coupe recently

Comment

Originally posted by Gin Kii View Post

I learnt to drive in a Datto 1000 when I was 10.
                So did I.. That's what made me buy one...

1969 Datsun 1000 Sedan
                1989 1.6l Daihatsu Charade

Life For me Has it's UP'S and DOWN'S........ I fix ELEVATORS

Comment

Originally posted by Rhys View Post
                  Im keen to see this.
                  i got a 1200 coupe recently
                  Go on....
                  Previously known as Lobster, Chuss's brother's anus, Chuss's brother, Lobsook, Lobstersock, Socks, Sockz, MissAmericaImportGirl, ClutchCLobster, Clock Lobster

CJM 4 Life yo!

Comment

Originally posted by milo View Post

So did I.. That's what made me buy one...

Lil' Beasty, mine was a coupe, I'd love another.

Don't mention the adBlocker !!

Comment

Originally posted by Lobster View Post

Go on....
                      I got one to! My mates been keeping it in his garage for storage. One day I'll pick it up
                      1975 TX Gemini Coupe - 1991 VN SS - 2017 VF SS Redline Wagon
                      YT: https://www.youtube.com/bucketindustries

Comment

Originally posted by no13b_Coupe View Post

I got one to! My mates been keeping it in his garage for storage. One day I'll pick it up

CJM 4 Life yo!

Comment

Hahahaha. One day you'll cave.
                          1975 TX Gemini Coupe - 1991 VN SS - 2017 VF SS Redline Wagon
                          YT: https://www.youtube.com/bucketindustries

Comment

So I took PXL265 up on his offer and we’re on the way to Brisbane with the datto now

Comment

He's a good cunt that bloke - nice one! Although if you'd done it yesterday you could have got a free car wash!!
                              Hide yo' wife!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X