E46 Track/street build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E46 Track/street build

So I've build told that I need to start a build thread so here it is.

I bought this E46 to replace my NA6 that I bought 12 months ago to use in supersprints, because MX5s suck and I don't like them and anyone who says otherwise is probably soft in the head.

The plan is to get this as a road legal club spec racer that I can use in the NSW supersprints.

Click image for larger version  Name:	RsgPAxx.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.09 MB ID:	7185928

Click image for larger version  Name:	4wXKCGy.jpg Views:	0 Size:	961.9 KB ID:	7185929

The car is mechanically okay, not great, body is okay, but its a somewhat neglected 260k kms 330CI E46 Auto, owned by an aspiring real estate agent - infer what you will from this. Motor seemed to pull well however it's vomiting oil from it's every orifice.

The plan for this from the outset is 2 phase.

Phase 1: Setup the chassis, suspension and replace the 5speed auto with a 7 speed DCT from a 135/335 and race the car with the M54B30 for a year while sorting out the teething issues
    Phase 2: Remove the M54B30 and replace it with a Honda K24 with a turbo chucked on the side.

The reason for this two phase plan is that the DCT will bolt to the M54B30 with little hassle, and the 3.0l makes okay power, even if it does it in a very mediocre 6100 revolutions

This is where my K24 would go - if I had one

Click image for larger version  Name:	VVYxVQa.jpg Views:	0 Size:	581.7 KB ID:	7185931

The first step was to get the car weighbridged and start losing weight, with 20l of fuel it came in at exactly 1500kg. Rear seats have been deleted, sound deadener removed, the novelty sized stereo harness and computer stack have been removed from the rear boot

Click image for larger version  Name:	tX1MooJ.jpg Views:	0 Size:	375.0 KB ID:	7185938

Click image for larger version  Name:	L366IWQ.jpg Views:	0 Size:	234.8 KB ID:	7185932Click image for larger version  Name:	lTN1MYd.jpg Views:	0 Size:	445.8 KB ID:	7185933Click image for larger version  Name:	REEpq37.jpg Views:	0 Size:	491.2 KB ID:	7185934
    I've been weighing most things as they come out, so far approx 85kg have been removed, with another 35 odd KG in the sunroof to be removed, and similar weight per front seat that'll get replaced with Velos. The aim is to get this as close as possible to 1300kg before going to fibreglass panels.

After the weight stripping I starting on the sieve of an engine, front main, sump, factory catchcan/ccv, rear main, oil filter housing gasket all leaked.

Click image for larger version  Name:	zkyOdbD.jpg Views:	0 Size:	573.0 KB ID:	7185935Click image for larger version  Name:	VLiNXPT.jpg Views:	0 Size:	567.8 KB ID:	7185936Click image for larger version  Name:	zC5x6jR.jpg Views:	0 Size:	578.4 KB ID:	7185937Click image for larger version  Name:	jSErONQ.jpg Views:	0 Size:	788.5 KB ID:	7185939

The oil pump nut was also tac welded (poorly) these have a habit of backing out under sustained track use, hopefully this will help and not cause its own issues.

Click image for larger version  Name:	R2MWA3f.jpg Views:	0 Size:	499.7 KB ID:	7185941

The DCT has arrived and for the DCT controller I have gone with a HTG ECU - these seem to be the most developed ones on the market and I am currently waiting for it to arrive from somewhere in the weird part of Europe. The internal wiring for the mechatronics is reasonably intimidating to tackle and in my opinion somewhat prone to failure in a motorsport application so I have also ordered an installation PCB from Domiworks in sweden, this greatly simplifies the installation and neatness of the install. This will go into the Mechatronics housing and connect to the pins of the DCT, and the to the HTG Standalone controller.

Click image for larger version  Name:	YQ32lJc.jpg Views:	0 Size:	410.5 KB ID:	7185940

Because I'm cheap I decided to 3d print a sequential shifter - I'm not sure I will go to flappy paddles however the ECU has the capability to support both options.

Click image for larger version  Name:	slnWOb5.jpg Views:	0 Size:	515.8 KB ID:	7185942

So thats it for now.

Currently I need to finish piecing together the resealed engine, and fixing a few broken ancillaries, and then I need to wait until the DCT controller shows up so I can start on that install. The rough plan is to get the car ready for Round 1 of the 2020 supersprint series.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Harreh; 13-10-20, 11:11 AM.

This looks fun. Following with interest!

Comment

good, let the science experiment proceed
      1988 AW11 9A-GTE - project #1 | 1984 MA61 1JZ-GTE - project #2

Originally posted by Walt Kowalski talking like a crazed hobo
      The major arrests will start from 1st January 2019

I promised to leave if Trump loses

Comment

I'm confused as to why an E46, but I also don't hate the plans. Following with keen interest.
        MY14 Swedish Soot Chucker

Comment

Following. Honda engine swap seems a bit extreme?

Comment

Subbed. Keen for some detailed posts on the DCT wiring
            The Slowly IS300

Comment

Love it. Subscribed111!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Cock Fist View Post
                I'm confused as to why an E46, but I also don't hate the plans. Following with keen interest.
                Cheap and proven chassis, good replacement cost if I put it into a wall, well supported for all sorts of power goals, can fit decent tyres.

Originally posted by Shonky View Post
                Following. Honda engine swap seems a bit extreme?
                Getting 300rwkw out of the M54B30 is going to be an extremely expensive nightmare for a track car, as well as be a complete pain in the ass to support on the track and in the pits. I went down this road cramming a turbo into my AW11 and don't want to do it again
                Last edited by Harreh; 13-10-20, 01:41 PM.

Comment

i dont like your mx5 comment but i like what your doing here. how much are these worth? are K24s getting harder to find now? prob should LS it...

Comment

Originally posted by YBS1OW View Post
                    i dont like your mx5 comment but i like what your doing here. how much are these worth? are K24s getting harder to find now? prob should LS it...
                    I bought this for 3k, which was probably a bit under market rate, but not by a huge amount.

There is something like 39k CL9 accords left registered in AU at the moment, no shortage of K24s.

I have considered LS and am still open to the idea, but in general I would prefer to gravitate towards the K24

Comment

he wont listen, i've told him a stack of times to LS it

Comment

I don't beat my missus so I can put an LS in it.

Comment

That audio loom is, um... adequate...

Great project...subscribed for the updates

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Ree View Post
                            That audio loom is, um... adequate...

Great project...subscribed for the updates
                            4.6kg of adequate. Good way of restocking my spare wiring supplies though

Comment

Originally posted by Harreh View Post
                              I don't beat my missus so I can put an LS in it.
                              can't*

Comment

Working...
                              X