Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

E46 Track/street build

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    K24 would go well in this, like a 318is on steroids.
    though ls is surely tempting
    Originally posted by Walt Kowalski
    Memes are only detectable by NSA.

    Comment


      #17
      Im just finishing a national spec roll cage in a 325ci for my yong bloke to keep himself broke with, so watching with interest. I came to the same conclusion as you, stiff chassis with good aftermarket support for less than 5 grand is a great starting point.

      Comment


        #18
        Love it. Just finishing 6 speed manual swapping Our 330ci race car but using an SSG box de-electrified. Stripped with one seat and a 6 point cage we were at 1295kg. Didn’t put much effort into the strip but we did delete the sunroof. Front seats are 25kg each!

        Comment


          #19
          Originally posted by lukevl View Post
          Love it. Just finishing 6 speed manual swapping Our 330ci race car but using an SSG box de-electrified. Stripped with one seat and a 6 point cage we were at 1295kg. Didn’t put much effort into the strip but we did delete the sunroof. Front seats are 25kg each!
          Yeah the luxury bits are where the weight seems to be luckily, so it makes reduction easy. Who did you go with for the sunroof delete? I'm leaning towards the S2R one

          Originally posted by gerry View Post
          Im just finishing a national spec roll cage in a 325ci for my yong bloke to keep himself broke with, so watching with interest. I came to the same conclusion as you, stiff chassis with good aftermarket support for less than 5 grand is a great starting point.
          With the low entry price and aftermarket support it seemed like a better platform for me to be dicking with than the MX5 - especially with the value of MX5s these days.

          Comment


            #20
            Something something 300 klillerwasps something subframe something?

            Was thinking of similar, either dick with a 86 and older E36.

            Comment


              #21
              Yeah they’re a great chassis although a bit lardy. There’s a fair bit of weight in the steel that ya just can’t lose.
              Keen to see how you get along with the dct.
              .

              Comment


                #22
                Originally posted by Harreh View Post

                Yeah the luxury bits are where the weight seems to be luckily, so it makes reduction easy. Who did you go with for the sunroof delete? I'm leaning towards the S2R one
                A sheet of thin aluminium, rivet gun and some silicon because racecar

                Comment


                  #23
                  Originally posted by gmx View Post
                  Something something 300 klillerwasps something subframe something?

                  Was thinking of similar, either dick with a 86 and older E36.
                  Subframe reinforcement isnt hard nor expensive. I can use my poor welding skills to sort it out. I originally wanted 36 but with the price and condition of coupes, as well as the availability I ruled it out

                  Comment


                    #24
                    i am now looking at E46's. thanks... subbed

                    Comment


                      #25
                      So this arrived at my mates workshop today. Mechatronics wiring to follow once the GCU arrives
                      Attached Files

                      Comment


                        #26
                        What are you guys doing with exausts? the original manifolds look shithouse,

                        Comment


                          #27
                          Originally posted by gerry View Post
                          What are you guys doing with exausts? the original manifolds look shithouse,
                          Ignoring it, I dont really plan on keeping the engine beyond using it as a mule to sort out gearbox and chassis setup

                          Comment


                            #28
                            The exahust on the B30 is a bit of a prick. Super tight in there if you wanted to change it in the car and there are not many reasonably priced cat-less options for RHD. That said I don't see a huge issue with the stock ones really- the main issue with the exhaust is the mega heavy and restrictive system from the headers back. We chopped the rear muffler off ours mid-race which helped the noise and weight a lot but it did melt the rear bar off

                            Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2486.JPG
Views:	371
Size:	220.3 KB
ID:	7186579
                            Attached Files

                            Comment


                              #29
                              Im going to try a set of E36 cast manifolds and see if they fit. ive got 2 2.5 litre engines to kill before i start looking at motor swaps and as im trying to logbook as a tarmac rally car Im not sure i can change engine configuration anyway.

                              Comment


                                #30
                                Great thread. I explored doing similar with any E46 Coop but backed out after the missus got wind of my plans, so this will be excellently vicarious.
                                2017 Ford Ranger XLT (Jeep Wrangler recovery vehicle)
                                2007 KTM 250 SX

                                Originally posted by Monza
                                I've never considered myself the type of guy to eat arse but I am currently reviewing that policy

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X