E46 Track/street build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hah! Nice build!
    i picked up a 325Ci manual locally for beer money. Putting rego in it today and doing a track day next month. No plans to keep it long term tho.
    Turns out, far too much has been written about great men and not nearly enough about morons

Originally posted by seedyrom
    my neighbours called the cops...... not because of the sound of me working in the garage was too loud, but because i taped a cardboard box to my back, covered my self in vaseline and pretended i was a snail on their lawn

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Rust View Post
      Great thread. I explored doing similar with any E46 Coop but backed out after the missus got wind of my plans, so this will be excellently vicarious.
      I was actually really keen to do this with an E36 compact, but the rear end suspension design turned me off with my power goals
      Last edited by Harreh; 16-10-20, 12:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Harreh View Post

I was actually really keen to do this with an E36 coupe, but the rear end suspension design turned me off with my power goals
        I reckon an E-chassis BMW track car is all about modest NA power, light weight and fantastic handling. Perfect recipe!

Comment

I was actually really keen to do this with an E36 coupe, but the rear end suspension design turned me off with my power goals
          you mean the e36 hatch/shortbus with the E30 rear end
          1988 AW11 9A-GTE - project #1 | 1984 MA61 1JZ-GTE - project #2

Originally posted by Walt Kowalski talking like a crazed hobo
          The major arrests will start from 1st January 2019

I promised to leave if Trump loses

Comment

The chassis aren't as stiff as people think. The subframe reinforcement is only part of it, you'll likely find popped spot welds down along the seam in the inner fender/quarter too, have a closer look at the seams under where the rear seats were. Id be looking at more than just reinforcement plates, id be looking at a proper weld in solution. Cayn @ https://cmpautoengineering.com/ sells kits to tie the subframe mounts together, along with solid subframe bushes, monoball trailing arm bushes, etc too that will be of interest if you want to keep it together.
            Last edited by Madhatr; 16-10-20, 11:13 AM.
            Originally posted by Buford T. Justice
            This happens every time one of these floozies starts poontangin' around with those show folk fags.

Comment

^ That! AndyMac pointed it out to me on one E46 M3. Owner didn't even realise, lol. Pretty sure that wasn't the only one either showing signs.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim View Post
                Hah! Nice build!
                i picked up a 325Ci manual locally for beer money. Putting rego in it today and doing a track day next month. No plans to keep it long term tho.
                Save it for me, I'll fly over, do 14 days quarantine, drive it back to WA, break down 4 times and then do 14 days iso back home, solid plan
                2017 Ford Ranger XLT (Jeep Wrangler recovery vehicle)
                2007 KTM 250 SX

Originally posted by Monza
                I've never considered myself the type of guy to eat arse but I am currently reviewing that policy

Comment

I was actually really keen to do this with an E36 compact, but the rear end suspension design turned me off with my power goals
                  I thought that the E36 was the go to track chassis. Is that the one that had a sort of trailing arm with lateral links type rear suspension?

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Rust View Post

Save it for me, I'll fly over, do 14 days quarantine, drive it back to WA, break down 4 times and then do 14 days iso back home, solid plan
                    Fuck have I got the car for you!
                    it even has pre road trip funk applied to every part of the interior!

pm me if serious. I only have it for this one track day.
                    Turns out, far too much has been written about great men and not nearly enough about morons

Originally posted by seedyrom
                    my neighbours called the cops...... not because of the sound of me working in the garage was too loud, but because i taped a cardboard box to my back, covered my self in vaseline and pretended i was a snail on their lawn

Comment

Originally posted by Neesan View Post

I thought that the E36 was the go to track chassis. Is that the one that had a sort of trailing arm with lateral links type rear suspension?
                      Other than the compact thingies they both have that suspension. The e30 and compact have trailing arms.

Comment

Originally posted by Its me View Post

Other than the compact thingies they both have that suspension. The e30 and compact have trailing arms.
                        The E30 had semi trailing arms, like the Datsun 1600, 280ZX and 300Z did. What I'm talking about is a trailing arm with two lateral arms, I've never found the official name for that suspension type.

Comment

Good read on most of the E/F series BMW front and rear suspension designs. E36 is also HA-3 but obviously there are minor differences. This also proves what I've been saying about the Supra. Every BMW Z car is compromised either for packaging the rear suspension within space constraints (ie convertible/roadster) or cost. History has showed that and repeated itself again once those cars have been chucked up on a lift for all to see.

https://performanceforums.com/forums/filedata/fetch?id=7090829
                          Last edited by gmx; 16-10-20, 09:32 PM. Reason: Cleaned up link

Comment

Originally posted by Jim View Post

Fuck have I got the car for you!
                            it even has pre road trip funk applied to every part of the interior!

pm me if serious. I only have it for this one track day.
                            We need to find a person who’s coming to Perth and can bring it in their carry on luggage one piece at a time.
                            2017 Ford Ranger XLT (Jeep Wrangler recovery vehicle)
                            2007 KTM 250 SX

Originally posted by Monza
                            I've never considered myself the type of guy to eat arse but I am currently reviewing that policy

Comment

Yeah, nah, having recently driven a NB MX5, I don't see a 1500 kg BMW really cutting the mustard, I'd be investing in a Crap Engineering kit and fit the Mazda KL into the MX5.

Indeed it all reminds me that the snotty old 924 I have lying around is far greater than the sum of it's parts.
                              " Racing cars don't have doors. Toilets have doors" : Keke Rosberg

Comment

Originally posted by Neesan View Post

The E30 had semi trailing arms, like the Datsun 1600, 280ZX and 300Z did. What I'm talking about is a trailing arm with two lateral arms, I've never found the official name for that suspension type.
                                Yeah that’s right.
                                The E30 type make for some pants shitting moments so I put put the E46 rear in my E30.

Comment

Working...
                                X