E46 Track/street build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lots of changes since the last outing.

Front swaybar was upgraded and the 8k springs in the rear were replaced with 12kg springs. It's still too light but the car is driveable now. The car still wants to understeer buy nowhere near as bad as it was at the last outing. I have also added a front undertray which has helped with DCT temps being approx 30c cooler than last time. Although far lower ambient temps

The ignition issue came back but actually threw a code this time, the crank sensor is failing so I only got 3 sessions in and the third was redflagged so I didn't get a good lap in. The gearbox is behaving much better than it was now but sitll needs work over the day the shifts were getting progressively harder and the lack of blip is a real problem for me although I have a potential fix for that in the works.

I ran a 1:13.42 at Wakefield on AD08Rs which was 4.3 seconds faster than my previous PB last year in the NA6 with V70As, so despite me not being a great driver the car is delivering good times.

https://youtu.be/3IsdI9t3Owc

Last edited by Harreh; 20-05-21, 01:22 PM.

Comment

So HTG Reached out to me after seeing my trackday video, they had some feedback on the tune. We did a full retune of the car with HTG logging in remotely. We had issues with internet connectivity cutting the session short once we got into the final stages. But the car is infinitely better now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAujqpxs1Zk

The main takeaway from the tuning is that there is a methodical and logical process to setting these up, and rules of thumb apply very well. However HTG need to document this, there was a lot of things wrong with my tune which was built off what documentation there is available. However the documentation doesn't explain how certain values apply to certain builds.

The car still needs a little work on 4th and 6th but it is responding much better to tuning changes now that the fundamentals are setup

Comment

Glad to hear you got some support and the box is behaving better! Seems quite drivable on the street now?
        The Slowly IS300

Comment

I wouldn't want to daily it, but I would drive it to work if my daily broke.

They're working on a new clutch engagement strategy which is really the biggest complaint now from a streetability concern

Comment

Not a huge amount to report, car has been in a bit of a holding pattern while I convert my AW11 to a K24 Powerplant, as well as not wanting to make too many large changes during the sprint season. I did manage to do a few little things to tidy up the car.

Mirrors brackets I had Foamy make up have been sprayed black to look less shit and I made a basic splitter.

Splitter mounts to the bumper reo via angle bar and is made of 9mm plywood. I'm not sure it's going to be strong enough but if it isnt I will put a couple layers of glass over the top of it. It ties into the aluminium undertray I installed a while ago

Not much to report on the gearbox front as I effectively havent driven this in 4 weeks, still waiting for the new firmware which fixes the clutch takeup issues
            Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2461.JPEG
Views:	477
Size:	991.4 KB
ID:	7266457

Name:	IMG_2593.JPEG
Views:	479
Size:	769.7 KB
ID:	7266455

Name:	IMG_2370.JPEG
Views:	487
Size:	722.6 KB
ID:	7266453

Name:	IMG_2607.JPEG
Views:	480
Size:	940.9 KB
ID:	7266454
            Attached Files

Comment

Not a huge amount to update here, Covid hit and racing got shutdown, I spent a fair bit of time putting a K24 and new ECU in my AW11. After months of dealing with more and more bullshit from HTG the Transmission has been pulled. I sourced a 6 speed manual from a Z4 and am currently putting that in.

Each firmware update from HTG was bringing more and more challenges, the old challenges weren't going away and I got sick of never driving this car due to it's absolutely horrible road manners. I got abused by the owner of HTG for calling this out and consequently banned from their support group.

The gearbox and it's bugs have caused a fair bit of damage to the car, the diff is absolutely cooked from all the lockups, and I destroyed a brand new engine mount in under 1000kms. I also expect to find damage around my subframe reinforcements when I get a proper opportunity to inspect it.

Name:	IMG_3425.JPEG
Views:	360
Size:	728.8 KB
ID:	7305536

OEM Clutch and flywheel

Name:	IMG_3422.JPEG
Views:	362
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	7305535
              The more important car

Name:	IMG_3021.jpeg
Views:	372
Size:	799.5 KB
ID:	7305533
              Attached Files

Comment

Surely HTG is selling none of their product going forward considering the amount of issues people are having and the way they are being dealt with by HTG?

Comment

He can't ask for compensation if he has been blocked.

Seeing that Polish (I think) guy have a box +diff explode on the dyno was interesting. They would need some spectacular results to go anywhere from here

Comment

Originally posted by richzx View Post
                    Surely HTG is selling none of their product going forward considering the amount of issues people are having and the way they are being dealt with by HTG?
                    The owner controls pretty well most of the public Facebook pages or is good mates with others who run theirs, so any customer with any sort of complaint gets buried pretty quick. Harreh added me into a group chat with 30+ other blokes who all *had* HTG & DCT setups, no fuckin way in hell would you ever touch one after reading all the shit they went through. There is one bloke there who still has his up and running & he thinks the controller is a bucket of shit, firmware riddled with all sorts of problems and so on.

Harreh probably knows more but there was a whole batch of them susceptible to RF interference from powerlines hahaha.

Comment

I'm in the Ex HTG 8HP group chat and the stories there are harrowing. But it wont be long until there are better options around. 8HP already has a good alternative, and a number of people working on DCT ones.

Harreh does not seem you have a thread for the AW11, you should make one! Seems like a fun project you have going there too
                      The Slowly IS300

Comment

Yeah I just picked up an e34 540i which I am entertaining the idea of a lamik and 8hp in... But I might just wait for the market to mature a bit more first.

I might put up a thread for the AW11, but its mostly built so it wouldn't be too entertaining.

Comment

if you read my build thread its mostly the same just he's had 4 less fires and 1 more k swap

1988 AW11 9A-GTE - Turbo Missile | 2004 Elise K20A - N/A Screamer | 1984 MA61 1JZ-GTE - 80s Cruiser

Comment

Finally got around to finalising the manual swap on this thing - it actually turned out to be a complete fucking nightmare.

Due to the collapsed engine mount that we didn't see until the gearbox came out the engine shifted and fell on the steering column - bending it badly. So that had to come out which was a complete and utter nightmare, very little room and BMW were kind enough to use fracture bolts to install the rack - so that was awesome fun.

When trying to start the motor some wiring shorted, the starter fired, then just sat there free spinning even after power being removed. As soon as the battery was connected the starter would free spin. Pulled the unit, bench tested it and it was fine, the wiring was then checked and the short found. Put the starter back in, and you could hear a horrible grinding noise - we thought the starter was not meshing with the flywheel. Strictly speaking this box is from a later BMW, but was offered in this car. So we were wondering if there was other differences.

Turns out after a fair bit of fucking around, the one way clutch in the starter has failed. Likely from it sitting in the car spinning its tits off. The car finally started, however has a massive vacuum leak from somewhere, or something. But it changes gears and it drives. I'll get it home this weekend, and figure out whats wrong and hopefully it should be mostly trouble free from here, with no HTG Bullshit.

Name:	IMG_3465.JPEG
Views:	168
Size:	993.6 KB
ID:	7311220Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3466.JPEG
Views:	158
Size:	682.4 KB
ID:	7311221

3 pedals and a full sick bro chassis mounted shifter

Name:	IMG_3525.JPEG
Views:	157
Size:	992.4 KB
ID:	7311222Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3513.JPEG
Views:	157
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	7311223
                            foamy making a custom crossmember for the gearbox since it was gonna take a few weeks for BMW to get one

Name:	IMG_3517.JPEG
Views:	158
Size:	867.2 KB
ID:	7311224

lengthened driveshaft from Bob driveshaft in Syd

Comment

1988 AW11 9A-GTE - Turbo Missile | 2004 Elise K20A - N/A Screamer | 1984 MA61 1JZ-GTE - 80s Cruiser

Comment

Working...
                              X