Little Kraut Buzz Box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Little Kraut Buzz Box

Thought i may as well throw up a thread for the Kraut Buzz Box.

Earlier this year (just as COVID was showing its ugly head), decided to give back the company car & move to a car allowance as we were planning to start a family at home, and work only buys 2x seat work hacks.I have had company cars for a long time, and 2nd car / weekender has only ever been large cars (VL Calais / VS SS / VU SS / FG Ute). With working on the inner Northside of Bris, and inner city, was interested in a smaller car (never owned one / one that's less than 6 cyclinders).

With the emergence of the hot hatch market, i had a good amount of options. Shopping list was over 200kw, 4xdoor hatch, under 60k on the clock, Auto (so no pics can drive it too), and not having to get a loan... just using what we had spare in the bank ($30k-$38k budget). Shortlist was 135i, A45AMG, Golf R.

Found that the 135i's & A45 were abit of a rarity, with my price & mileage constraints. Whilst they were the better cars, just wasn't alot of options.

Fast forward a month of watching car sales - alate 40's woman that lives in my area decided to list her 2016 Golf R (in my preferred colour, with Leather + driver assist package) on facebook marketplace , with 38k on the clock, for $35k. She purchased a Tiguan R - was not happy with the trade offered and was about to take delivery.
    inspected it (fairly mint), agreed on a price, and gave her a deposit. If i had to be picky - just wished she kept a better detailing regime (some swirl marks), and had already gone through the water pump replacement saga (with these things, it's not 'if, it's when).
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20200509_200654_321.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.67 MB ID:	7200925

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200509_164121_resized.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.41 MB ID:	7200926

Plan for the car is to just have some fun for a couple of years, incl mountain runs, and some track days if i can. Will then swap it out for something more comfortable (GS350 F Sport etc) as the impending offspring get older.
    Planned list of mods alterations:
    Mechanical:
    - Burger Motorsports JB4 Tuning box
    - Integrated Engineering V2 Intake
    - Integrated Engineering Turbo Inlet
    - Integrated Engineering Turbo muffler delete

- Resonator Delete ( Rob Bliss Exhausts)
    - E Tuners Stage 2 tune (stage 2 as the masses/fanboys call it)- when i'm comfortable to spend that required coin- (COVID watch). Will stack it with the JB4.
    - E Tuners DSG Tune (with above)
    - Integrated Engineering Cast Downpipe (to go with the tune above)
    - Exhaust system to go with stage 2 tune -Milltek.

Suspension:
    - H & R front & rear sway bars
    - H & R front & rear adjustable sway bar link kits
    - Emanuelle Designs Lowering Springs

Exterior:
    - Maxton Design front lip kit - Gloss black
    - Maxton Design rear diffuser

- Maxton Design side skirts - Gloss black
    - Koya SF10's (struggling to pick a colour though)
    - 2 stage paint correction + ceramic coating

Interior:
    - Alcantra / Leather steering wheel wrap
    - Stereo (Focal front splits /Audiocontrol LC2i/ 10" sub/ compact/leightweight sub box)
    Last edited by 36Chambers; 23-11-20, 08:26 AM.

Alterations #1 - JB4 Tune, Intake, Turbo Inlet, Turbo Muffler Delete .

JB4 & Integrated Engineering delivery arrived. Installation wasn't too bad.
    - Relocation of the factory coolant line was abit of fun, dropped squirt of coolant.
    - Turbo inlet was fairly easy, but the turbo muffler delete was a pain to get to.
    - Intake noise / turbo noise is sounding great, without being too obnoxious. The drawcard to this intake, was that it also opens up the cold air intake slots behind the grille.
    - So far have gone from map 1 ->2-> I'm now running the JB4 on Map 3. Difference it's made is quite surprising, it's made it a very fun car - boost comes on earlier & being an additive map - feels a heap stronger through the midrange. Arse dyno - i reckon it's added 25-30kw. The bluetooth logging & app is pretty decent
    - Next step is to email George from BMS my 3rd gear pull logs, to be given a more customised mapping settings ( Map 6 setting).
    - playing around with a mate's Dragy app best 0 - 100 time is now sitting at 4.39 seconds (with Launch control). Interested to see how it goes with the customised Map 6.
    - will have to play around the placement of the JB4 box - not 100% happy with the look of it in the engine bay .
    Click image for larger version  Name:	image_120056.jpg Views:	112 Size:	1.34 MB ID:	7200772
    Last edited by 36Chambers; 23-11-20, 09:05 AM.

Comment

Received the Alcantra/ Leather steering wheel cover, put the no pics sewing skills to use....
      Click image for larger version

Name:	image_120058.jpg
Views:	495
Size:	2.34 MB
ID:	7200776

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_120057.jpg
Views:	499
Size:	2.67 MB
ID:	7200775
      Last edited by 36Chambers; 23-11-20, 08:21 AM.

Comment

Fitted up the front Lip, Rear Wing, and Rear Diffuser. Pretty happy with the look. Front lip was a pain in the arse to fit wish i had smaller hands!!!

Will need to be careful with the front lip when i add the lowered springs - already hitting on the driveway if i don't take it on an angle.

Tried the Megauiars 'ceramic' spray on detailer - for a repco sold detailing supply - it gives a nice deep shine! Will keep me going until i get it paint corrected & ceramic coated.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_120064.jpg Views:	94 Size:	2.22 MB ID:	7200787

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_120060.jpg Views:	111 Size:	3.38 MB ID:	7200779

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_120059.jpg Views:	107 Size:	3.73 MB ID:	7200778

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_120065.jpg Views:	94 Size:	2.22 MB ID:	7200788
        Last edited by 36Chambers; 23-11-20, 09:15 AM.

Comment

Swapped out the Integrated Engineering polished stainless hose clamps for black ones - ordered from Weldspeed. Hose clamps look alot less pronounced now, more matched to the black intake parts.

Also made a bracket for the JB4 box, to mount to the side of intake ( instead of seeing unnecessary wiring, and those white Zip ties mounting it next to the fuze box).
          I'm happier with how it looks & sits in the engine bay now - the last photo is the before photo.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_120061.jpg Views:	95 Size:	2.34 MB ID:	7200784

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_120062.jpg Views:	94 Size:	2.45 MB ID:	7200785

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_120063.jpg Views:	94 Size:	2.34 MB ID:	7200786

Click image for larger version  Name:	Capture.JPG Views:	0 Size:	103.5 KB ID:	7200943
          Last edited by 36Chambers; 23-11-20, 09:15 AM.

Comment

Great little car these things, do everything so well.
            Not sure about the rear diffuser or the steering wheel cover, standard looked better in this instance.

Seamstress has a nice set of cans.

Comment

One of the guys I work with has one of these, water pump failed about two weeks out of warranty.

They seem like a good thing otherwise. His is certainly quicker in a straight line than my M140i, though that may be the DSG versus manual.

Comment

Nice car, really like the blue on these. Is the blue light in the footwells standard? Initially thought it was a bit naff but now thinking it is kind of cool.

That diffuser though, what is that? Looks like a mini spoiler a 19yo made in the backyard and tried to stick on. Doesn't integrate into the back of the car at all for me sorry.

Comment

Fuck that colour just pops, love it...
                  The older i get, the better i was...

Comment

Well the no pics can sew.

Comment

Tisk tisk.... blue footwell neon lights?! I thought you were better than that G

Obligatory skid pic

Comment

Great things. My old man has an identical one in "Can of Fosters Blue" as he calls it. They are like an 8/10 at absolutely everything.

Comment

Originally posted by GNGBNG View Post
                          Great little car these things, do everything so well.
                          Not sure about the rear diffuser or the steering wheel cover, standard looked better in this instance.
                          Seamstress has a nice set of cans.
                          The more & more i look at it, the more i'm 50/50 on the diffuser.
                          I got so swept up in having the whole Maxton Designs Kit from front to back - that this is a part of.
                          There's a V2 version just realised that will have stock in Aus next year - that's alot more subtle in the rear end ... think i'll swap it out, and sell this one to a P plater.
                          Steering wheel wrap is abit more function over form - factory leather under it has become shiny, the alcantra feels heaps better for sweaty hands.

PS – i’ll pass on the compliment to the seamstress

Originally posted by Mr Purple View Post
                          One of the guys I work with has one of these, water pump failed about two weeks out of warranty.
                          They seem like a good thing otherwise. His is certainly quicker in a straight line than my M140i, though that may be the DSG versus manual.
                          Yeah mate – i’m just waiting for the waterpump to go. Waterpump & waterpump housing has a huge failure rate from factory. Did he manage to get them to goodwill it?
                          I’d say off the mark using & using Launch control they’d give a manual M140i some trouble, but a rolling run – would be surprised if the M140i didn’t pull away. DSG can have a mind of it’s own sometimes.

Originally posted by 12arx3 View Post
                          Nice car, really like the blue on these. Is the blue light in the footwells standard? Initially thought it was a bit naff but now thinking it is kind of cool.

That diffuser though, what is that? Looks like a mini spoiler a 19yo made in the backyard and tried to stick on. Doesn't integrate into the back of the car at all for me sorry.
                          I’m ashamed to say that i swapped the factory white LED footwell LED diodes out for blue from Supernova. Thought process - It matches the factory blue LED Ambientl lighting lighting that these things have in the doors & scuff plates. Rice move.

As mentioned above – I’m feeling you. The more & more i look at it, the more i'm 50/50 on the diffuser. I got so swept up in having the whole Maxton Designs Kit from front to back. I think i will swap it out when the new version hits Aus from the UK.

Originally posted by Fatboy View Post
                          Cheers mate. Bitch to keep clean though!

Originally posted by break View Post
                          Tisk tisk.... blue footwell neon lights?! I thought you were better than that G
                          Trev! Mate..... yes - changed the factory white footwell lights out for Blue LED Diodes (to match it in with those Factory Blue Ambient door/scuff plate LED lights).

In other words, nothing but fucking:
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	00RICEGUIDE8-articleLarge.jpg Views:	0 Size:	40.9 KB ID:	7202069

Originally posted by tremolo View Post
                          Great things. My old man has an identical one in "Can of Fosters Blue" as he calls it. They are like an 8/10 at absolutely everything.
                          Can of Foster’s blue... i like it!
                          Last edited by 36Chambers; 26-11-20, 04:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fatboy View Post
                            I have an R just likes this one, but mine is grey.

Ironically, blue is my favourite colour, but this shade of blue is too much for me.

"The rest of the world should just give up and leave car manufacturing to the Japanese and Germans ." anonymous

My Kitchen Stools

Comment

Working...
                            X