Make Lowriders Great Again...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Make Lowriders Great Again...

So had this for a bit over a year now and have grown pretty attached to it so this will be a long term project that i think i will hold on to.

So the story goes that my brother in law runs a lowrider car club and after heading to a few events with the nopics, she really enjoyed it and gave me permission to get involved. Its really family friendly with regular cruises to pubs etc. and just hanging out with mates and so after a bit of searching i found the car that was not an impala (very important to me as i like having something a bit different), had a good suspension base that is easy to modify and that is the most comfortable car i've ever driven.

So enter my 1966 Oldsmobile 98 (i believe one of 3 in the country and the only 2 door hardtop)
    Good:
    66,000 genuine miles
    425ci rocket v8 (only modification is an edelbrock 4 barrel carb)
    Factory AC car
    Factory Power Steering
    Power windows
    Power seats
    Power assisted drums all round
    Pillarless
    Split rear screen
    15 inch Astro Supreme Wheels

Bad:
    Has been hit in the ass and warped the left hand quarter (will get this repaired in the not too distant future
    Rust around the rear windscreen
    Brakes barely work
    Some sun damage to the material on the seats
    Right front wheel bearing shagged recently

Modifications so far include makita springs (which actually ride really well), makita exhaust to remove the rear muffler (stock is 2 into 1 system which was too quiet), new 15 inch whitewalls and half headlight covers.

Future Plans:
    Convert front end to 66 Cadillac Disc Brakes (using a Scarebird Kit with hubs which includes new bearings)
    Set of 15 inch Cadillac Kelsey Hayes Wires
    Fix damage
    Retrim in same pattern as stock
    Dual exhaust headers leading into twin bellflowers
    Full stereo but completely hidden
    Shockwave front struts
    Ride Specialties Rear Bags
    Airlift Performance Airbag Controller
    Accuair CVT 5 gallon tank
    Reinstate the air conditioning (needs condenser, receiver/drier and some hoses)
    Fix up some leaks and general wear and tear

This will be a long term project (still very slowly working on my Cortina) which doesn't worry me since i absolutely love this car, it can easily fit child seats in it when that time occurs and its amazing the demographic of people who don't know what an oldsmobile is or are old folks and love it to death. Also for the price i paid and demand for these rigs, i will never lose money on it.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Slain; 22-11-20, 05:46 PM.
    BeamTina

Fucking hell! What hooker capacity is that boot? Its huge!
    cool car though, look forward to the build.

Comment

Sweet Ride ....you will be able to fit the spare 205 Litre drum of gas in the boot

Comment

It’s not about hookers it’s about how much coke you can snort off the boot lid

Comment

Originally posted by Slain View Post
          Modifications so far include makita springs (which actually ride really well), makita exhaust[...]
          Did LOL.

This thing is super cool.

Comment

Fuck yes.

This is my fav era of land barges
            AutoMotif

VC Valiant

Comment

Awesome score, Welcome to the PF land barge club!

Looking forward to see what you do with it

Comment

V good .

weirdly compelling to see what this ends up looking like.

Comment

This is so awesome. How much are these land yachts worth? I seriously considered something like this in the past but the ability to get parts, etc turned me off.

Very nice rig.

Comment

Freakin sweet. The 65 caddy coupe was the coolest car I owned, turns heads like nothing else. Would love another land barge like this again one day.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord_fahrquhar View Post
                      It’s not about hookers it’s about how much coke you can snort off the boot lid
                      You would have to be pablo escobar to go through the amount of coke that a boot with that much square footage would provide.

Comment

Yeah it is a rather large vessel at 5.9m long and you can apply social distancing with 4 people in the car.

Cost was under 20k but it was a steal at the time, have been offered significantly more since then including a few mates in Japan who want it.

Due to the colour and flat areas to line up and indulge in a certain substance, the car has the nickname of Snowblind.

Parts availability from the states is really good as the same era Buick and Cadillac share a lot of parts.
                        BeamTina

Comment

This is many excellents, love it!
                          Hide yo' wife!!!

Comment

Also curious - what brand are those tyres? I need some new whitewalls for my stockers (14in though).
                            Hide yo' wife!!!

Comment

Nankangs, really well priced for actual white walls
                              BeamTina

Comment

Working...
                              X