No announcement yet.

90s toyota shitbox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, Hoffman said I'd be on the stock headbolt limit with the most recent retune and it eventually started to pressurise the overflow. Im going to install a pressure sensor to monitor coolant pressure but I had some ARP studs laying around so I decided to throw them in. Coolant sprayed everywhere as seen here:

Started the process:

Nice and clean from years of regular oil changes in Japan (I often wonder if they even service their cars there)

Cams out, belt off:

Need a bigger work bench

Decided to clean the VVTI filter as the bolt was coming out anyway

Refreshed VVTI gear (had a seal laying around)

Studs in. Job done

Now I can pull the harness out, finish it off and mount the ecu and fuseboxes for the final time. I can also finally remove all the excess wiring coming out of the original fuse box (wasn't sure what to leave and what to remove so just left it all incase I fucked something up).

Comment

Good work man, looks like you caught it before it got bad!
      The Slowly IS300

Comment

Originally posted by bboy View Post
        Good work man, looks like you caught it before it got bad!
        Thanks mate.

Yeah a few people said i have other issues since they ran more boost and made more power but both the Scotts said I'm at or past the limit of what they'd consider safe. They know these motors well. Wasnt a big deal to put them in and see if it cures the problem so here's to hoping.

Comment

The top end of the 2JZ in my Soarer looked exactly like that, no I don't think servicing is a thing in Japan, just top up the oil once in a while and send it!
          Norbie!

Comment

Well, headstuds seem to have worked. Not spraying coolant anymore and car is ripping. A mate said he would lend me some radials so hopefully I can get to the track ASAP.

Comment

Very tidy impressive build! Makes me miss my 1JZ TT cressida I had 10 or so years back.

Comment

Thanks mate.

A buddy of mine worked his magic on the paint. Came up quite nice being mostly original paint and 30 years old.

Comment

Dooooooooood

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

RIP Carly - a smile to light the world.
                  06/07/2011

http://www.performanceforums.com/for...#post842594902 - making little toys for the big boys

Comment

That came up mint!
                    Norbie!

Comment

Brilliant! That's looking awesome now

Comment

Originally posted by fantapants View Post
                        Dooooooooood

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
                        Originally posted by Norbie View Post
                        That came up mint!
                        Originally posted by nutttr View Post
                        Brilliant! That's looking awesome now
                        Cheers boys

So ever since the swap under full throttle/skidding it has felt fucking sketchy as shit. The rear end felt like it was dictating where the car was going even though all the bushes were in good condition.

Decided to finally install the diff bushes I had while Brisbane was locked down.

Got started ripping the diff out. Got stuck underneath the car and had to strong arm the diff out which was fucking awkward with about -10cm of room between me and the car

Old bushes but still in good nick

After not really thinking about how to attack it I just started pounding the fuck out of it with a cold chisel. Quickly realised this was going to take hours. Drilled the rubber out and then attempted to beat the fuck out of it again.

Realised I was just making life hard for myself so switched it up on the second. Just used a holesaw to cut the rubber out, air saw to cut a slit in the old bush casing and after about 2 big hits it came right out. All said and done.

Wish I'd done this sooner. I noticed absolutely zero increase in NVH and now the car just skids and goes where ever you point it. To say I am pleased is a massive understatement. It feels very planted and solid at the rear now.

Comment

Half the jobs you do on cars start with trying to short cut the process...followed by doing it properly and taking half the time... Sigh

I'd have thought you'd be feeling the diff more through the car with those in though??

Comment

Originally posted by nutttr View Post
                            Half the jobs you do on cars start with trying to short cut the process...followed by doing it properly and taking half the time... Sigh

I'd have thought you'd be feeling the diff more through the car with those in though??
                            Half way through the job I just thought 'i've fucked up putting these in'.Turns out, there is no change. The exhaust is fucking loud so maybe that will change when the new muffler goes on? In any case, it's not noticeable at all and I'm a picky cunt with shit like this.

Comment

Originally posted by venicebeach View Post

Half way through the job I just thought 'i've fucked up putting these in'.Turns out, there is no change. The exhaust is fucking loud so maybe that will change when the new muffler goes on? In any case, it's not noticeable at all and I'm a picky cunt with shit like this.
                              ​​​​​​Worst case you could put some poly bushes in it or something? Probably won't be much different...

Comment

The easy way I have found is to simply drop the whole subframe and then just burn the bushes out.
                                CISCOKIDS
                                The Gentlemen's Club
                                Midnight Rocker

Comment

Working...
                                X