Panda's Flatbrim Courier Service

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Panda's Flatbrim Courier Service

So last Thursday I went into the dealership to pick up my new ride, it even came with a bow which they wouldn't let me keep...

Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210107_003518711.MP.jpg
Views:	437
Size:	122.2 KB
ID:	7215702

Its an MY21 STI Spec R. At this stage, I have zero plans on the mod list. I just want to have a car that I can enjoy driving for a bit and its also the first time I've ever had a new car which its a pretty cool experience.

I've only driven a couple hundred kms so far and I've been asked to do some basic run-in stuff for the first 2000kms - don't run out the RPM, don't sit on highways in cruise control, keep load varied on the motor. Basically just don't drive like a dickhead for a few months.

First impressions are that this thing will basically smoke anything that I've owned with ease. It's not crazy powerful, and she is a bit of a fatty, but it has brutal amounts of mechanical grip. I haven't done anything too crazy due to being in the 'in love' phase of car ownership but I was saying to a friend that I am certain I will run out of courage before the car runs out of grip. This is vastly different to the S2k, which always felt like you were a twitch on the accelerator away from going backwards into an armco.

Gearbox is good but not great. The action is a kind of ugly mix of imprecise and notchy, its hard to really slot a gear quickly but I'm guessing that a practice thing. The first 4 gears are also pretty close ratio, and leads to some pretty enjoyable driving at not silly speeds. The power delivery is also pretty 'old school', and it doesn't really boogie until it comes on boost.

There were other, probably faster, cars available at similar pricing (think hot hatches) but none were able to set off my enjoyment boner quite like this.

I'll put up some more detailed photos after a thorough car wash this weekend!

Congrats, mate

Looks sharp in White

Comment

Looks nice, congrats!

I always sort of wanted one, but couldn't get past the 'holy fucking shit' fuel economy figures. Will be interesting to see your real world experience!

Comment

Thanks! I've been super happy over the purchase. Obviously still in the honeymoon phase but its really a very enjoyable car.

Originally posted by Mr Purple View Post
        Looks nice, congrats!

I always sort of wanted one, but couldn't get past the 'holy fucking shit' fuel economy figures. Will be interesting to see your real world experience!
        I've done about 200kms so far. Looking to be around 11-12L/100 so far. Honestly, coming from my last couple of cars, anything under 15/100 is pretty outstanding.

Comment

So I'm still not modifying this car, but kabab the absolute legend sorted me out with a dash cam set-up. I've been wanting one for a while now, basically ever since watching Dash Cams Aus on YT. Took it to the Automotive Superstore shop in Castle Hill and the guys sorted me out in a couple of hours. Super easy, great service.

Neat install, everything works. I'll be sending my folks and brother there as well.

Name:	PXL_20210213_014628699.MP.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	147.0 KB
ID:	7226769

Name:	PXL_20210213_014638285.MP.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	139.6 KB
ID:	7226770

Also, while I was over at Modified 's place, gave the car a wash and wax. Of course it rained straight after.

Name:	PXL_20210213_030706170.MP.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	345.7 KB
ID:	7226771

And went full detailer and polished the exhaust tips as well.

Name:	PXL_20210213_031945862.NIGHT.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	237.2 KB
ID:	7226773

I'm closing in on the 2000kms of run-in as well so looking forward to actually having the opportunity to wind out the car a little bit.
          Attached Files

Comment

Congrats on purchase.

A guy at work has same model WRX. He said that the stock gear change is crap, he fitted a quick shift which helped.
            How is the STi's throttle response? Linear with accelerator travel? That was going to be this guy's next mod (mild tune).

Comment

Originally posted by Smudge View Post
              Congrats on purchase.

A guy at work has same model WRX. He said that the stock gear change is crap, he fitted a quick shift which helped.
              How is the STi's throttle response? Linear with accelerator travel? That was going to be this guy's next mod (mild tune).
              I don't think its bad, per se. The throw isn't long or sloppy, or at least I don't think it is, but its kind of slow and a bit notchy. 1 - 2 is the worst of the lot, by a mile, the rest seem to respond well to gentle and accurate action. Subaru offer an STi short throw for about $500 which I am definitely considering. If I was to complain about the box, the most frustrating part is how short 2nd gear is.

I still haven't had the chance to really stick it to the car (I've been pretty restrained, keeping it under 5k rpm so far). Throttle is super touchy. Power delivery is basically what I expected, laggy to around 3.5k rpm then a big fat torque hit. Haven't wound it out so I don't know if it runs out before red-line but it doesn't feel like it will. It feels like its slow in a straight line because the ratios are so tight, but for me that has the benefit of actually making the car fun to corner in because if you pick the right gear and lean into it out of corners you can make it squirm.

As I said above, I have zero intention of modifying this car for at least a while, but if I did it would be at a minimum turbo back exhaust/intake/intercooler upgrade and getting it dyno tuned. My understanding is that you can get it to roughly 200kw atw with that set up and really improve the area under the curve. nopistons tells me that the factory tune dumps bulk fuel to keep the cats hot, so even just fixing that up would probably make it a lot less doughy.

Comment

Yeah, get that. This guy isn't so much tuning for performance, he's just trying to get rid of minor irritations.
                Good luck. Hope things go well with the car.

Comment

Working...
                X