Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New daily. Maybe. Who knows. It was free.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I regret buying my touring over an e46 325i manual compact last year. Compacts are cool.
    Last edited by Paddington; 05-04-21, 04:11 PM.
    Originally posted by Stix Z
    i'm upset i lost that video of that aboriginal woman taking a dump on a train that was on youtube
    Originally posted by Jim
    Sorry, am late to this thread. I have been protesting against whitey oppressors all morning with my people. I shall serenade this thread with my didge until nash comes in and puts it all into perspective.

Comment

Originally posted by aerobrick View Post
      You have become BMW Skompa, and it's a wonder to behold
      Yes.

Carry on

Comment

the direction of the compact has settled on some sort of M3 compact kind of direction. BMW built exactly one M3 compact and it lives in a museum... so i'll try and replicate it. S50 or S52 probably not, maybe an M50B28? guess we'll see what comes up on the back of the truck.

I spent ages with the Bissell cleaning that carpet just to mess it up again oh well.

cleaned the E46 inside and out. took hours regunking everything and even now it's "better" but not "great"

it won't start. has compression and turns over easy enough though so not all is lost. i think it may need a fuel pump but i've only done 3 seconds of diag.

put it on E36 wheels too. i think they look better.

all this for a car which is either going to be bought back by BMW or donate its bits to another car... ah well better pulling apart a clean car than a dirty junky car.

Originally posted by Paddington View Post
        I regret buying my touring over an e46 325i manual compact last year. Compacts are cool.
        i keep telling everyone that compacts are the best but nobody will listen
        Last edited by FioriGuy; 05-04-21, 08:08 PM.

Comment

Hmm, how much messing around was the headliner retrim? The Bora $motion in the carport has the usual headliner around your ears thing going on, acatually it's not that bad in the front other than the A pillar trims. Thinking about redoing it in black to match the black leather. I can still get the proper black R32 roof plastics if I'm feeling rich to finish it all off, the plastics would probably cost as much as I paid for the bloody car!
          Gotta love "cheap" euros?

Comment

easy as pie, just fiddly and time consuming. the fabric i bought only has mimimal stretch in it so i took it slow and still got some wrinkles. if you used a material with some stretch in it (like the factory does) it would be way easier

Comment

I love these build threads were people go off the deep end

Not really sure what exactly you're doing, but i like looking at it all progress lol

Comment

I remember using a stapler for the head lining in my old falcon years ago, no fucks were given lol

Comment

Originally posted by FioriGuy View Post
                  curveball: it's a takata car

or maybe just tart this thing up, get the bags done and see what's wrong with it over winter. i need a winter daily more and more every day, daylights savings has ended... the cold is coming...
                  Aren't the early E46s unfixable for the Takata airbag problem? BMW was just buying them back weren't they?

Certainly that will be one of the super death kill ones.
                  Last edited by Shonky; 06-04-21, 01:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Shonky View Post
                    Aren't the early E46s unfixable for the Takata airbag problem? BMW was just buying them back weren't they?

Certainly that will be one of the super death kill ones.
                    I called them about it and it seems they replace the bags in them. The lady seemed adamant to book it in even though I told her that the car doesn’t run, she said we’ll pick it up and drop it off. I suppose there’s a drive from head office to get every last car on the list accounted for no matter the cost? Or maybe once the car is in their hand they’ll be all here’s $500, go away now or pay a $7900 release fee?
                    Last edited by FioriGuy; 07-04-21, 12:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FioriGuy View Post

I called them about it and it seems they replace the bags in them. The lady seemed adamant to book it in even though I told her that the car doesn’t run, she said we’ll pick it up and drop it off. I suppose there’s a drive from head office to get every last car on the list accounted for no matter the cost? Or maybe once the car is in their hand they’ll be all here’s $500, go away now or pay a $7900 release fee?
                      Yeah I thought they didn't have a replacement solution for the early ones so it was buy back and destroy only. I think it may have been the early tri spoke wheels that your super early build didn't have.

i.e. like this (although that's an E36)

where yours looks like an older E34(?) type one.

They are shit scared of someone dying (and I think at least partly liable if they don't try to fix them given it's an official recall) and are pulling out all stops to get them all sorted. So many people just ignore the letters or they get lost through ownership changes that are not registered etc.

Comment

Not sure on the exact details on the takata buybacks, I've only done one so far for Audi. Was a shame because it was a one family owned mint B5 1.8t quattro auto with >150,000km. The dealer was sad to see me bring it in.

Comment

Originally posted by Shonky View Post

Yeah I thought they didn't have a replacement solution for the early ones so it was buy back and destroy only. I think it may have been the early tri spoke wheels that your super early build didn't have.

i.e. like this (although that's an E36)

where yours looks like an older E34(?) type one.

They are shit scared of someone dying (and I think at least partly liable if they don't try to fix them given it's an official recall) and are pulling out all stops to get them all sorted. So many people just ignore the letters or they get lost through ownership changes that are not registered etc.
                          yeah, the triangle steering wheel only came on sport-option sedans and coupes

my '98 E36 318iS has one though! seems E36's aren't affected by the recall though.

seems they're going to send a dude over to replace the bag on my front lawn, makes sense as it'll take him 8 minutes.

Originally posted by irsa76 View Post
                          Not sure on the exact details on the takata buybacks, I've only done one so far for Audi. Was a shame because it was a one family owned mint B5 1.8t quattro auto with >150,000km. The dealer was sad to see me bring it in.
                          tbh, the 6cyl manual gearbox is worth more to me as parts than what the car is probably worth to them anyway.
                          Last edited by FioriGuy; 07-04-21, 08:23 PM.

Comment

What's the latest?
                            Jaguar XJR, Freelander 2 HSE, Jaguar XKR, MINI Cooper S
                            Originally posted by nutttr
                            People must assume you are some sort of drug dealer with all these nice cars turning up to a fibro home

Comment

Did I see you in Phillip in that reddish sedan last week? 2021 and Lord inflicted a plague of Beemer nuggets on Fiori

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Nicholson View Post
                                What's the latest?
                                nothing too interesting. no new nuggets unfortunately.

white manual car:

crushed. black leather interior disrespecting my garage and manual gear waiting to go into blue car.

black E39:

had a blown headgasket, i got the shits with it and gave it to a dude from Sydney for nothing

green car:

most of the interior back in, now fiddling with broken window clips, door trim clips that need glue and other clips. waiting on a sunny day to steam clean the upholstery, dye the sunroof interior rubber trim and parcel shelf black. then we'll have a complete interior and a car that doesn't run!
                                have arranged to swap the automatic 4.44 diff for a whatever the manual ratio diff is, so after the interior is in, that's the next job - diff swap in preparation for swapping in the 2.5/manual from the E46.

red car:
                                rolfe BMW booked it in for airbag replacement last week, then called me to ask where i was, i explained they said they'd send a tow truck, lady was all flustered then said she'd call me back. she did, now the truck arrives next Friday apparently, will it? won't it? stay tuned i guess

Originally posted by dsm2002 View Post
                                Did I see you in Phillip in that reddish sedan last week? 2021 and Lord inflicted a plague of Beemer nuggets on Fiori
                                therefore, nope not me!

blue car:

went to spacs house, turns out the car i pulled the interior from is the same colour! that means a straight bonnet and non-broken mirror for me, which is good as this ones a bit shite

also his alpacas escaped.

so, that got me all excited, so i sent it to the exhaust shop, so now it has an exhaust. this made getting it ready for rego so much nicer.

i figured no exhaust/no back pressure was why it was running like crap, nope.

that's 1, 2 and 3...

hmm...

so, ordered a stack of parts from FCP, all the bits to fix a broken head gasket (Jim reckons it's done the gallery between #2 and #3) and all the consumables to throw the manual stuff into the white car into it

so next job is to pull the engine/gearbox from it and get to work.

Comment

Working...
                                X