My blue coupe fetish v GR Supra

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My blue coupe fetish v GR Supra

I seem to be gathering a fair history with blue coupes, from the s13 I imported in 2005

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1132.JPG
Views:	714
Size:	475.8 KB
ID:	7226900

My highly underrated Lada Samara

Name:	smallDSCF1156.JPG
Views:	689
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	7226901

The s14 that I had for a number of years (was then wrapped satin black)

Name:	IMG_0264.JPG
Views:	687
Size:	164.6 KB
ID:	7226902

My still current FD3S

Name:	p2778913310-5.jpg
Views:	684
Size:	291.7 KB
ID:	7226903

And no surprise, now a GR Supra.

Name:	PXL_20210207_003108414.jpg
Views:	685
Size:	1.31 MB
ID:	7226904

I had actually preferred one in white as it shows of the curves nicely, but for a very significant cost saving this was my second pick. After struggling to find anything in Qld that took my fancy, last weekend I flew to Newcastle and drove this back. It's a 2019 build, first registered April 2020 and it had 2400km on the clock. Story goes that an older gent bought, didn't use it much so traded it in to the Ford dealer I bought it from for a Ford Ranger Raptor

It was hard to justify the money for a weekend driver but nothing else ticked the boxes for me in terms of something fast, reliable, comfortable, not too common, track-day suitable,and with some modification potential.
    6L FD3S RX7
    GR Supra
    Jeeps JK, CJ7, WK2

I've been following the Supra groups for a little while, so as soon as the ink had dried on the contract I knew which basic mods I wanted to order that will give the biggest bank for buck.

The #1 cosmetic mod had to be to relocate the front number plate. I can't stand the big central dealer mount and I never liked the front of the Supra due to it. I fitted a cheap BMW tow point mount as soon as I changed the rego to Qld. It's a shame about the holes left in the front bumper but it's still a massive improvement in my eyes.

Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20210207_034051092.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.35 MB ID:	7226917Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20210211_020902397.jpg Views:	0 Size:	922.4 KB ID:	7226908

First performance mod is a 4.5" downpipe. That meant getting the FD on it's wheels for the first time in over a year to free up a hoist.

Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20210213_044826674.NIGHT.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.03 MB ID:	7226910Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20210214_022713021.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.08 MB ID:	7226911

The install process was a piece of piss, just five 13mm nuts and swap over the O2 sensors. It took me longer to decide where to position the hoist pads as the wheelbase is too short for my hoist to use the factory points.

Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20210214_024022470.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.17 MB ID:	7226915Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20210214_004445084.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.23 MB ID:	7226913
    Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20210214_025544137.jpg Views:	0 Size:	949.7 KB ID:	7226914Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20210214_025603855.jpg Views:	0 Size:	427.6 KB ID:	7226916

No pics of the next one, but I then reflashed the ecu with a Bootmod3 stage 2 tune that's built around just the downpipe and 98 octane fuel. It's a hard thing to quantify but from factory the Supra feels reasonably fast, now with the reflash it feels proper fast. Maybe I'll get to a test and tune in the next month or 2 to see what it runs. It gives a bit more exhaust noise but it's still relatively quiet. The rest of the stock exhaust is 3 or 3.5" so there's no gains to be made there until the turbo size is increased.

Last mod for today was a fire extinguisher mount in preparation for an upcoming event

Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20210214_071355967.jpg Views:	0 Size:	449.2 KB ID:	7226912

I look forward to a few more boxes turning up soon.
    Last edited by neil_se; 14-02-21, 11:21 PM.
    6L FD3S RX7
    GR Supra
    Jeeps JK, CJ7, WK2

Comment

As far as modern sports cars go these seem to be about the cream of the crop. Fuck what 80 fanbois say, these look unreal and perform unreal.

Whatever happened to the Lada? I've longed since I was a teenager for some soviet automotive goodness but they all appear to have rusted back into the earth in Australia.

Comment

Nice. Haven't been in any of the current crop of sports cars. Will have to get a ride in one.

Comment

Originally posted by 138ci View Post
          As far as modern sports cars go these seem to be about the cream of the crop. Fuck what 80 fanbois say, these look unreal and perform unreal..
          Yeah I agree. Despite being largely BMW, it's hard to deny that it's true to the original Supras.

Originally posted by 138ci View Post
          Whatever happened to the Lada? I've longed since I was a teenager for some soviet automotive goodness but they all appear to have rusted back into the earth in Australia.
          Unfortunately I never saw it again after I sold it. It got me through a year on a probation licence (from gathering defects on the Silvia) and I ended getting rid of both for two grey Nissans - a 3dr Micra and an R32 GTR that I imported The Lada was in great condition too besides the chalky paint. It's one of those hilariously simple cars at the opposite end of the scale to the Supra, the same thing that still attracts me to the old Jeeps.

6L FD3S RX7
          GR Supra
          Jeeps JK, CJ7, WK2

Comment

Very nice, I was wondering when a build thread would show up for this! I love that it went straight up on the hoist for some mods.

Looking forward to seeing what else you do with it.
            Norbie!

Comment

That blue looks awesome. And the number plate relocation makes a huge difference!

Comment

It’s the kind of front end that really needs a stick-on “plate”
                dubious legality aside
                Originally posted by Jim
                I feel that rules are important as without rules there is no cheating and cheating is a vital part of drag racing.

Originally posted by elfturbomax
                What has happened to PF? It seems to be diesel love now days. Maybe the name should be changed to Particulate Forums.

Comment

That S13 looks mint.

Do like the A90s. Removing that license plate holder looks far better.
                  '13 Yamaha R1 // '16 Toyota Hilux SR5 // '00 Toyota Supra RZ // '72 Ford XA Fairmont

Sell me your old videogames? Nintendo, Sega, PlayStation, some XBox...

Comment

so literally a couple of timber screws straight into the bar to mount the front number plate holder? quality
                    www.holditflat.com

Comment

Looking forward to following this build.

Plenty of people are making plenty of numbers, and with relative ease it seems

Comment

No surprises I'm a bit of a fan of them but yeah hard to communicate how fast they are to people. I'd love one as a weekender/daily/track warrior

Comment

It'd be such a shame if you couldn't sell your work one Luke

It does make me sad to see the number plate mount just tek screwed into the bumper. At least the ones Sci Fleet Toyota were selling had side mounts. I could easily make a sticker or smaller/shorter plate for the front but I like being able to drive without worrying about getting picked up for it.
                          6L FD3S RX7
                          GR Supra
                          Jeeps JK, CJ7, WK2

Comment

V band from the factory? You shitting me...

Comment

Originally posted by neil_se View Post
                              It'd be such a shame if you couldn't sell your work one Luke

It does make me sad to see the number plate mount just tek screwed into the bumper. At least the ones Sci Fleet Toyota were selling had side mounts. I could easily make a sticker or smaller/shorter plate for the front but I like being able to drive without worrying about getting picked up for it.
                              If I had an unlimited toy budget- yes. But I have a RWD fast coupe and unlike you I can’t justify a second. Got my eye on the Yaris though!

Comment

Working...
                              X