S14 Saga

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tat looks great ^

P.S Safest way to split the lenses from the housings is having them on low low low in the oven on some thick cardboard

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Ree View Post
      Tat looks great ^

P.S Safest way to split the lenses from the housings is having them on low low low in the oven on some thick cardboard
      Yeah I've done s13 headlights in the oven without issues, and type X tail lights with the heat gun. These aftermarket ones were held together with stuff that felt more like glue than the softer sealant Nissan uses (lower softening temp at least with the Nissan stuff).

The center garnish wouldn't have fit in my oven even though its a 900mm one either way

Comment

Originally posted by (Locky) View Post

Yeah I've done s13 headlights in the oven without issues, and type X tail lights with the heat gun. These aftermarket ones were held together with stuff that felt more like glue than the softer sealant Nissan uses (lower softening temp at least with the Nissan stuff).

The center garnish wouldn't have fit in my oven even though its a 900mm one either way
        Ah ok, Im following you now.

It looks tops, regardless

Comment

So in more adventures of fabrication that I probably shouldn't be doing

Back in the day this had a bride and cusco 6 point cage. Despite how much people bag them, cage actuallactually a difference in stiffening up the car when jacking up ect.

That was sold off when when car was stripped and the seat went in the sil80 then sold when I stripped that.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0277.jpg
Views:	416
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	7231255

Name:	IMAG0288.jpg
Views:	430
Size:	15.8 KB
ID:	7231254

Then when the car was pit back together I wanted another half cage just so I could take passengers. Last minute I found a 'S14' cage an hour or so away a few days before the track day. That ended up being a s13 sunroof cage if I was lucky, sat like in bow the roof.
          So eventually got around to getting a cams spec cage built. Went for a very basic design so I could still get 2 wheelsin the back seat area, and bolt in half cage again if this ever goes back on the road.

Name:	20191124_182344.jpg
Views:	429
Size:	4.36 MB
ID:	7231256

Then a bit later I was booked in for them for front and rear bash bars. But then they cancelled on me... guess to busy/ make more coin pumping out cages these days

But I needed to do something about the bar support. As surprisingly the kouki front end sits about 30mm further forward than a zenki so the factory supports are quite different along with zenki having brackets for the grill

Name:	20210227_123155.jpg
Views:	421
Size:	2.43 MB
ID:	7231257

So went back to learn by trying. Went for a lot smaller 30mm square tube amd right angle, rather than the roll cage tube a lot of people use. So more of a bar support than bash bar, gets in a small hit that will crumple rather than transferring all the force to the chassis like something more solid.
          Some M8 threaded furniture legs and rivnuts makes the adjusting part way easier than getting everything bang on

Name:	20210221_174847.jpg
Views:	426
Size:	2.85 MB
ID:	7231258

Then started some CAD design to try and make some ducting as car was getting warm last few days so want to try and force more air in as can't hurt

Name:	20210224_154820.jpg
Views:	413
Size:	2.35 MB
ID:	7231259

Then came to the seat. Picked up this nismo seat about 3/4 years ago just because and it seemed cheap. Tried it in the Sil80 but it sat super high. Problem was the mounting holes are side mount but right on the bottom of the side, rather than 2in up the side like brides or recaros. So when s14 went back together had it sitting around so chucked it in there on some bride rails. I'm not tall but my helmet was only like a cm or 2 from the roof.
          Tried to fix it with some expensive fixed rails from America but no good still. Thought maybe some right angle and some generic S14 base plates might work with minor mods. Turns out the mods weren't minor but just kept hacking.
          In the end got it mounted with the bottom about 5mm off the floor and and good 2in lower than it was before so way better. Now with nismo tax it's a cool seat and not fake like concern is with buying any bride 2nd hand (and nothing new really does it for me)
          rail weighs a tonne but solid as haha

Name:	IMG_20210130_170800_022.jpg
Views:	426
Size:	174.8 KB
ID:	7231260

Comment

Lights look ace and that nismo seat is a cool find

Comment

Originally posted by gmr View Post
              Lights look ace
              +1
              www.holditflat.com

Comment

Originally posted by gmr View Post
                Lights look ace and that nismo seat is a cool find
                Originally posted by schnitzelburger View Post

+1

Cheers
                I think the seat may have been an option for a GTI-R so maybe that's why they sit so high.

ahe lights are definitely good from a far but at least not look the same as ever other s14 (at least at a nsw track day lol)

Done a similar thing before with the supermade lenses for the s13. As I'm an idiot I wanted some old style part. As these were made about 15 years ago, before all the clear ebay lights were a thing.
                Pain to install though

Name:	20170511_103504.jpg
Views:	381
Size:	4.07 MB
ID:	7232235

Comment

do u still have that s13? looks titz!
                  www.holditflat.com

Comment

do u still have that s13? looks titz!
                    Yeah that was my early mid life crisis car.

Long story short is I parted out the s14 as wanted a car with rego so I could take it for late night test drives to figure out any small issues before a track day. As a lot of the time the moring of any day with the s14 was figuring out little things wrong with it. So built a regoed sil80 (might go into that later)

Then after track days stopped in nsw for 12+mo the parted that out.
                    Bought a cefiro shell as thought could be a low key street car, bought a few parts but then realised I would want to build a street s13 in a few years, so should probably skip to that. As thought it will be impossible to do in 10-15 years as prices would go crazy, didn't realise it would only be 5 years later.

So was randomly looking at gumtree and for a change looked outside nsw. Saw this pop up, was black but saw that the engine bay was green in Rockhampton.
                    After some back amd forth realised it was a factory non sunroof seafoam green car that was CA18DE auto 'hard to start/ runs rough' so assumed head gasket.

So after a few pics the price was right that even if it was a complete mess it I could probably part it out for cost of it and transport.

Name:	SAM_2045.jpeg
Views:	331
Size:	662.0 KB
ID:	7232550

Bought as much brand new OEM parts as I could afford/ justify (half of them still in boxes as can't bring myself to put on the car )

it got the SR20 that was originally in the s14 then sil80 with some custom piping so could keep AC and not cut anything on the chassis. Along with being legalish

Name:	IMG_20170729_131504_846.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	2.85 MB
ID:	7232551

Some neat Bride brix 1.5s and interior trimmed to match along with a bunch of new bits to freshen it up

Name:	20170430_153200.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	5.04 MB
ID:	7232552

Name:	IMG_20170502_145913_882.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	4.97 MB
ID:	7232553

Suspension all refreshed and refused with rubber mounted adjustable arms for street ability and R33 GT-R Brembos

Name:	IMG_20161217_170322.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	1.76 MB
ID:	7232554

Name:	20170214_152751.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	3.96 MB
ID:	7232555

Then plastic optional aero after a long time collecting parts and respray back to the original seafoam two tone

Name:	IMG_20170503_073759_520.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	561.5 KB
ID:	7232556

Been on the road like 3 years
                    but still have boxes of parts to put in/ replace but haven't got around to it as not keen to pull it apart again just yet

Comment

^^^^^ hawtness
                      Originally posted by Keith Duckworth
                      "I think that in a racing engine, the closer it is to disintegrating, in general the better its performance will be "

Comment

I'd like that thing more if it wasn't obviously built out of spite for how shabby my car was

Comment

jesus chirst that S13 is fucking perfect dude, used to think they were the least cool of the S chassis but now they are my absolute fave
                          www.holditflat.com

Comment

Originally posted by doctor ed View Post
                            ^^^^^ hawtness
                            jesus chirst that S13 is fucking perfect dude, used to think they were the least cool of the S chassis but now they are my absolute fave
                            Cheers
                            Yeah originally I wanted a 180sx but being one of the first P platers with the Non turbo rule, had to go with a S13 instead. Figured I would eventually want another one (even though I had had a couple over the years)

So far had
                            White NA 13
                            Burgandany CA 180sx
                            This S14
                            Green S13 shell I never did much with
                            Blue CA S13 that popped Ca in like 2 weeks so went SR
                            C33 laurel shell that the ^^^ blue 13 was going to end up being a doner car for when the rego ran out but sold up to go to ebisu instead ( regret getting rid of this)
                            Bright orange NA s13 that I just fixed a few issues on and flipped in a couple of weeks
                            Root beer brown S13 that I reshelled a crashed NA S13 into that after 2 drives I decided to sell
                            Widebody Sil80 that I reshelled the s14 into
                            Blue JDM s15 I bought at bottom of market, put a few things on and made it into a great street car. But then the seafoam car was 80% done and thought it would be the same but better so I sold it.It then was at a wreckers 6 weeks later. wish I kept that, not only as skyrocketed in value but it was great as was a tiny bit rough so didnt care driving it anywhere where as Im paranoid driving the s13 anywhere.
                            Now Just recently bought my brothers NA s13 that he has had for 10 years and all the parts he collected to go with it as he had had the worst luck with it and was lucky to put 1000km on it over that time.

So year keep coming around to s13's by default

Will try and fix photobucket to at least download my old photots

But currently the Seafoam car 13, purple NA 13 and the S14 .... plus the daily and a morris minor ute project haha

Comment

Pic update

White NA 13

Name:	DSC_0358.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	7234725

Burgundy CA 180sx

Name:	9-305.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	7234726

This S14

Name:	IMG_2405.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	7234727

Green S13 shell I never did much with
                              (nothing interesting)
                              But parts that are now worth 10x the price like nismo steering wheels

Blue CA S13 that popped Ca in like 2 weeks so went SR

Name:	IMAG0465.jpeg
Views:	218
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	7234728
                              C33 laurel shell that the ^^^ blue 13 was going to end up being a doner car for when the rego ran out but sold up to go to ebisu instead ( regret getting rid of this)

Name:	IMG_6981.jpeg
Views:	216
Size:	172.5 KB
ID:	7234729

Bright orange NA s13 that I just fixed a few issues on and flipped in a couple of weeks

Name:	1385180209043_zpsa7c59d6a.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	7234730

Root beer brown S13 that I reshelled a crashed NA S13 into that after 2 drives I decided to sell

Name:	157166372_246413410221129_6076979218516429964_n.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	7234731
                              Widebody Sil80 that I reshelled the s14 into

Name:	157727716_1893097417513809_7621011891217931426_n.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	7234734

Cefiro I was going to reshell into before going the seafoam s13 route

Name:	158341885_537850267188612_2088056740805743988_n.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	179.5 KB
ID:	7234733

Blue JDM s15 that was near perfect street car

Name:	157562886_706146276695985_187623471391877791_n.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	193.3 KB
ID:	7234732

Comment

So the purple NA s13 X S14 cross over

So in around 2009 my little brother bad had his license about 18 months. Originally he was fine just commuting in my old CE lancer but I guess all my dumb decisions rubbed off on him and he started talking about something more interesting. I vaguely remember him talking about KE70's. We went and had a look at a NA 13b FC but a few red flags turned us off (Which by random chance someone I became friends with years later bought as his first sports car after we turned it down)

I half jokingly said we could probably build a NA S13 for cheap, given I had just done my first engine swap.
                                By chance a crashed Na s13 popped up a week or 2 later. It was a TH1 s13 originally Ca that had had a S14 NA VCT SR20DE swap done with engine and box from Ichiban. Had been 'professionally' wired (where the guy grafted the body to engine loom rather than the OEM plugs) but he had had a telegraph pole jump out at him right through the radiator punched back pretty much to the engine.
                                But we paid about what he had for just the engine and box
                                Click image for larger version  Name:	Photo0128-1.jpg Views:	3 Size:	60.1 KB ID:	7234762

We later found out the car had Nismo shocks and optional rear quarter shades, which these days worth nearly as much as we paid for the whole car and still have
                                ‚Äč Click image for larger version  Name:	157720911_158546176111732_5315877333035122900_n.jpg Views:	3 Size:	85.5 KB ID:	7234763

Then a few week a car popped up on ebay. It was going to be a doner for his gemini but didn't got ahead. It was last in regoed in VIc but in Wollongong. Originally CA auto turbo cream over gold with brown interior, but sprayed liliac, SR auto swapped, most of the brown interior painted random VHT gray
                                It had Ebay coilovers, front mont and a otomoto turbo that had a weird exhaust housing so no exhaust. But me and a another silvia friend checked t out for my brother and seemed like a decent shell even for back then so on our advice he bought it. probably a mistake.

I didnt have a tow car back then and the guy offered to drop it off for extra and minus chromies, he ended up scratching the shit out of bumper paint as he just chucked it in ute tray as didn't care and was a shitfight getting it off trailer but got there in the end
                                Click image for larger version  Name:	BINkCGkKGrHqYOKiIEzT6vcmOOBM-fFVEw_3.jpg Views:	3 Size:	72.5 KB ID:	7234764

So we winded up swapping the good bits from the punted TH1 blue car into this along with most the interior ect.
                                The plan was to swap turbo motor back into the car roughly a year later once he got his full license ... but that motor sat under a tarp for 7 years before I twisted his arm to let me put it into the S14.
                                Click image for larger version  Name:	Photo0138.jpg Views:	3 Size:	70.5 KB ID:	7234765

Turned out this car had a a bad case of he 'Purple Curse'. As we had no rego papers from Vic turned into a shitfight to get regoed. After a while of fucking around luckily it was still on the import vehicle register so got a official letter saying it came into the country all good so subsisted old rego papers/ import papers. But long story short my brother had the worst luck with this car. He would change/ fix something and 2x more things would cause issues/ not feel right. Even though he did above and beyond at the time for replace old shit with brand new OEM or high spec aftermarket parts. The car was just fighting him the whole way.
                                Click image for larger version  Name:	157793835_254881616280125_7784129585999434616_n.jpg Views:	3 Size:	80.5 KB ID:	7234766

After fighting a bung of issues he stripped it back to near stock. But then got knocked back fro a pink slip when it was 2 months overdue.
                                So he thought, might as well fix it and get a blue slip as wont lose any more rego.

So then it sat for a about 5 years, over the time I 'borrowed parts' from him and in earl 2020 gave him some cash for some of them after far too long. Then in late November 2020 he needed another car so he thought he would spend the weekend to get the s13 back on the road so he could use ti for his 2km commute.

I jokingly said I could just but it off hi instead but offered my help to get it up to scratch.
                                It didn't start well. Even though it had been out of rego for 5 years for at least the first 3 it had regularly been moved around the yard infrequently without issue. But since I had moved out it hadn't moved in about 2 years. He tried to do the right thing and a few days before poured some oil down the spark plug holes and turned it by hand, charged the battery ect.
                                I rocked up a few days later for a working bee or it.

Things did not go to plan.

After rocking up bright and earlyish we started to try and get it into the garage. Put battery back in and cranking but it wouldn't start. It had an alarm ect so took a bit of noodling to realise no fuel, then test light to realise it still had power once the alarm deactivated so seemed like fuel pump had died from sitting. Luckily I had my scumbag track car crate, which included a 10y/o Walbro 225 that I had upgraded we jerry rigged that up and sweet we have fuel.
                                Put it all back together and check have fuel at the rail now. Then connect hose and car starts. Its a bit lumpy, put that down to the oil poured down the boars and old everything . After a minute or so messing around I notice a mist in the rear ( boot was still open)
                                Come to see that fuel is spraying all over boot well as well as the rear quarter and all over the lawn. In our messing with the fuel pump hat the 30 y/o rubber lines had not liked that and split. we tried to cut off the bad bit and still make it work bit to no avail. I had replaced these line in the past, but without the subframe in and it in foot long grass around the car.
                                Click image for larger version  Name:	158468835_2064184133723663_2390048390863189286_n.jpg Views:	3 Size:	69.5 KB ID:	7234767

So we decided to tow it at least up to the nature strip and possible into the garage with my commodore. By this stage it was 3pm and we hadn't even got it into the garage to start fixing the stuff that needed to be done from when it failed rego last time. I jokingly said I could just go get my trailer and buy it off him. This turned into a long conversation about it being way more of a project than a weekend then get it regoed to be a daily car. A deal was struck with all the Silvia parts he had as he has never been one for dealing with FB marketplace or gumtree and I got it for pre Covid prices ( with first right of refusal if i end up selling agreement lol) so cant complain even though the car has deteriorated in the last few years in the weather. But a 3h long round trip to get my trailer plus loading the car up I was taking it home
                                Click image for larger version  Name:	157273723_1002410983500012_8774209662760162424_n.jpg Views:	3 Size:	125.6 KB ID:	7234768
                                Last edited by (Locky); 10-03-21, 11:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X