a V8 at last - but its german

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

a V8 at last - but its german

After years of pondering which V8 to buy before the electric/hybrid crowd takeover happens, I was looking at used RS6s. However pricing for use examples jumped up a fair bit over the last year so the "sensible choice" was a June 2020 demo M550i pure with 250kms on the clock. We happened to drive past and the price was hard to ignore. It fitted the bill of a V8, lots of room and importantly AWD so I can use the power, even in the wet.

Its only optioned with a sunroof and metallic paint. Funnily exactly the same colour as my 135i thats up for sale.

2500kms in and I'm starting to get used to its Jekyll and Hyde nature. Ultra quite, comfortable and roomy when you want, but push sport and it changes completely.

I got it ceramic coated and debadged.

First task is getting CHE to cut off the resonators to wake it up in sport mode for more v8 goodness. I'll probably black out the titanium (or whatever its called) highlights and lower it with MSS springs until warranty runs out and then the fun begins.

The 2020s tune super easy and intake/downpipes and tune on 98 give an easy 160hp/220lb-ft to the wheels for about 650hp AWHP. 700AWHP should be easy enough with some E85 mix.

No victims yet to its sleeper nature except for some JDM lads on the M2 who must have thought I was a cop at night (same basic car) as they slowed down and pulled over when I came up behind.

Also need some appropriate plates to go with the look.

Best 0-100 is 3.7, but only had 2 very quick goes so far, both without launch control which should cut a little off. Should be good for mid high 11s on the 1/4. Given its basically and M5 underneath (and 200kg lighter) should be an easy low 10 second car with the above tuning.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by biteme; 31-03-21, 03:03 PM.
    When too much horsepower is barely enough

niiiiiice
    .... because every driver experiences the destructive potential of the effortless surge of power available through the smallest of body movements.

Dr Hoon

DrNick is king!!!! No, Mark Webber is now! Long live the king!... hold on a minute mate, Ricci is in charge now

Comment

What app is that?
      Previously known as Lobster, Chuss's brother's anus, Chuss's brother, Lobsook, Lobstersock, Socks, Sockz, MissAmericaImportGirl, ClutchCLobster, Clock Lobster

CJM 4 Life yo!

Comment

Very nice, and very..ahem...adequate power

Do these engines cope with the extra ponies without complaining?

Comment

Originally posted by Lobster View Post
          What app is that?
          Dragy.

Comment

One of these in a wagon would be the ultimate daily. Well played.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Ree View Post
              Very nice, and very..ahem...adequate power

Do these engines cope with the extra ponies without complaining?
              Thanks, and that is a good question... yes and no...

It's essentially the same as an M5/M6/M8 (N63TU4) engine except smaller turbos and no weird crossplane exhaust thingo that makes them sound like a strange 6 cylinder. Those engines bend rods due to excessive down low torque on upgraded turbos. Unless you want to go upgraded internals for $20k you are stuck with keeping torque at 750nm for as long as possible. There are local ones in Sydney with 700hp and 1100nm to the hubs without issue.

With the M550i engine (TU3) no one really knows yet as no one has upgraded turbos like the M5 guys who seem to madly upgraded cars. the TU3 make the same torque as the TU4 stock but don't appear to be as torquey down low once upgraded so thinking is they are fine on E30 making 700HP and 900nm to the hubs. There don't seem to be many that tuned on the forums, and those that do have have 2018s which is an older TU2 460hp engine. So far no issues with the tuned 2020 engines.

I'll find out in 2.75 years time when warranty is up, but if its like my old N54 135i it should be fine tuned on stock internals and turbos.
              Last edited by biteme; 31-03-21, 03:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Komdotkom View Post
                One of these in a wagon would be the ultimate daily. Well played.
                Thanks. I did want a wagon, but didn't need one and agree it would be killer in a wagon shape!
                Last edited by biteme; 31-03-21, 03:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nastysven View Post
                  niiiiiice
                  Thanks

Comment

Sweet. I like how it came with 4wd... dont know why we didnt get the M135/M140 3.0 with 4wd like Europe.

My boss just bought a 2018 RS6 with 9000kms on it. Cant wait to take that for a spin.

Comment

Awesome Q car, well done!

Comment

Originally posted by maddy View Post
                        Sweet. I like how it came with 4wd... dont know why we didnt get the M135/M140 3.0 with 4wd like Europe.

My boss just bought a 2018 RS6 with 9000kms on it. Cant wait to take that for a spin.
                        Thanks. The M340ix has AWD now.

I was considering RS6's strongly, but $140k+ for a used model. They don't handle as well, but are very mod happy and almost all weak points have been found was appealing (plus wagon). You can get 1000hp on stock internals without too much hassle.
                        Last edited by biteme; 01-04-21, 06:39 AM.

Comment

Fuck me it's getting easier and easier to make stupid power nowadays. Thats an epic starting platform.

Comment

Agree with the above.

Cracking purchase!

Comment

Originally posted by biteme View Post

Thanks, and that is a good question... yes and no...

It's essentially the same as an M5/M6/M8 (N63TU4) engine except smaller turbos and no weird crossplane exhaust thingo that makes them sound like a strange 6 cylinder. Those engines bend rods due to excessive down low torque on upgraded turbos. Unless you want to go upgraded internals for $20k you are stuck with keeping torque at 750nm for as long as possible. There are local ones in Sydney with 700hp and 1100nm to the hubs without issue.

With the M550i engine (TU3) no one really knows yet as no one has upgraded turbos like the M5 guys who seem to madly upgraded cars. the TU3 make the same torque as the TU4 stock but don't appear to be as torquey down low once upgraded so thinking is they are fine on E30 making 700HP and 900nm to the hubs. There don't seem to be many that tuned on the forums, and those that do have have 2018s which is an older TU2 460hp engine. So far no issues with the tuned 2020 engines.

I'll find out in 2.75 years time when warranty is up, but if its like my old N54 135i it should be fine tuned on stock internals and turbos.
                              You may want to do some more research on N63s, although the TU engines are the pick of the bunch so to speak, they are not without their problems.

Comment

Working...
                              X