Garden Hack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Garden Hack

I had been looking for a ute for quite a while to help carry junk around as I have been working in the yard a bit (the little Jetta doesnt like carrying around coupe of hundred kilos of gravel at a time). Missed out on a BA v8 ute a week back that was a great deal and after having a BA xr8 about 15 years back I would have loved one again though the budget was low, around 5 grand really. Picked this up yesterday instead, maybe a wrong decision but seems like someone has spent some time and money on it at some stage.

What is it: 1988 Mitsubishi Triton with a Mitsubishi RVR 4g63. Some sort of T3 turbo on a high mount manifold and external gate (all I can see on the turbo is a 70 cover and .63 rear) and front mount intercooler. It has a haltech sprint 500 and 980cc injectors and surprisingly a cat converter.

What it needs: desperately needs new tyres, so some second hand wheels and tyres will be coming along really quick and a resistor set to fix the non flashing indicators on the rear. Someone has spent a bit of time "shaving" the rear tray, so now the fuel filler is inside the tray, the rear door doesn't hinge down and has been sealed/bogged up and smooth all the way around, however I am aiming to replace it with an alloy tray. The front guards and bonnet were beaten up so the guy I bought it off replaced them, so Ill probably try and get it colour matched to the rest of the car, if its not too much money, maybe get the cab a more tame colour overall. It needs a tune too, runs a bit fat and no idea how well tuned it is.

I have a few things to learn about it and make it nicer, head unit/speakers, bolt in the computer and clean up some wiring. I have a radiator on the way too as the one in it is probably older than it should be.

It starts easily and runs fine and is easy enough to drive, clutch works, it grabs almost immediately from release, brakes work, but right at the end of the stroke. Brake master doesn't look too old and the fluid is clear.

Anyone know anything about these and how hard it is to swap to an alloy tray? Maybe one day an LSD option for the diff too?
    Also chasing the trim panel (you can see one behind the passenger window, the black plastic one) for the drivers side.

Click image for larger version

Name:	181102021_485018362615913_5531310771597141984_n.jpg
Views:	836
Size:	2.07 MB
ID:	7250171Click image for larger version

Name:	182312450_1737071693147121_6939685526190872868_n.jpg
Views:	830
Size:	1.95 MB
ID:	7250172
    Attached Files

why not aye? a old workmate has a triton ute that looks like a pre-runner with a ebay turbo kit on the SOHC motor, its dodgey and not tuned properly and it still frys 4wd tyres like nothing else

so this should be even more fun!
    www.holditflat.com

Comment

Thanks Schnitzel. Any photos or videos of your mates ute?
      This should go alright, I haven't tried pushing it yet, there is a leak between the wastegate and exhaust that I have to deal with as well.

Comment

Nice. Should have a pretty good giggle factor.
        .... because every driver experiences the destructive potential of the effortless surge of power available through the smallest of body movements.

Dr Hoon

DrNick is king!!!! No, Mark Webber is now! Long live the king!... hold on a minute mate, Ricci is in charge now

Comment

LSD from the V6 MN 4wd tritons might fit https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/174414585462
          Front LSD from a 2nd gen Pajero fits the l200, not sure if that's still true for early Triton though

Comment

Fully tuned that setup has the ability to make 250kw plus. The RVR motor comes with turbo pistons and cams. Not sure what the turbo is but it looks sizable. Your box and diff the weak links.
            Mmmmmmmmm beer.

Originally posted by ALLMTR
            You had one fucking job, Imran. One. Now look, there's Flibberty Gibbets all up in here, seeing straight through your ruse. One. Fucking. Job!

Comment

nastyseven: thanks. I figure it should provide some entertainment between dump runs.

aerobrick: thanks for the link. Any idea if there are solid mitsu forums that have referenced information on what fits between mitsus? or maybe this is a generic diff that came in other cars as well?

jimmyg: Thats a hefty number and more than I will need. I am not sure on turbo specs either, can only see the outside stuff and know its based on a t3 sizing. .63 rear housing would mean its not a huge powerhouse of a turbo.

Comment

http://www.mightyram50.net/ is a still active old US forum covering the older tritons and L200s, all of which were sold as various different makes there. That's how I found an lsd for my first gen l200

Comment

Aerobrick: cheers, i'll take a look.

Comment

Well I'm making 200rwkw with a turbo that is tiny next to yours in my car. Think you might be surprised what it can do.
                    Mmmmmmmmm beer.

You had one fucking job, Imran. One. Now look, there's Flibberty Gibbets all up in here, seeing straight through your ruse. One. Fucking. Job!

Comment

Jimmyg: 98 or e85 fuel? Are you in an RVR or one of these tritons as well?

Comment

I'm in a GC Galant with a 4g63 in it. It was on 98 when it made 200kw.
                        Last edited by jimmyg; 09-05-21, 09:10 AM.
                        Mmmmmmmmm beer.

Comment

Iirc Tritons all ran the same diff, just different ratios. I can't remember if they were the small diff or the big one though,
                          Given the number of 96-99 Pajeros getting scrapped now I'd try and find the whole rear axle out of a Pajero GLS with the hybrid LSD and swap the whole lot in. Benefit is strongest diff, rear disc brakes and a very nice LSD.

Comment

Love it

Comment

Jimmyg: Thats heaps, I would be pretty happy if this had that much power when tuned.

irsa76: When you say small or big? Is this the crownwheel or housing sizing? Or just the length of the diff? Are diff swaps like that a bolt on propositon though in this scenario?

Turbo351: come and have a look when you are next driving up this way.

Comment

Working...
                              X