Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where is werdna with the updates?

Succumbed to mcdonalds poisoning?

Only so long can wait with cock in hand for updates.

Comment

Yeah, so it didn't go well.

Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed.jpg
Views:	572
Size:	185.3 KB
ID:	7258029

I'll update further on Saturday.

Heading to a mates place to diagnose and see how fucked I am financially for the next few years.

Comment

Originally posted by itsnotagsr View Post
        I know that shattered feeling when you try your best negotiation/low ball tactics only to find out some other punter doesn't know these games and pays the asking price. Cue weeks of "should have just bought it!"
        I regularly pay full price if it’s cheap and I know there’ll be a line of ‘negotiators’ waiting. Baffles me why people will look around fir months trying to save a dollar when they could have just spent it in the first place and saved themselves the effort.

Comment

Originally posted by Disgruntled View Post

I regularly pay full price if it’s cheap and I know there’ll be a line of ‘negotiators’ waiting. Baffles me why people will look around fir months trying to save a dollar when they could have just spent it in the first place and saved themselves the effort.
          Everyone likes to feel like they got a win! :D

But yes, the pain of missing out is worse than saving $500 in the deal.
          "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower." - Mark Donahue Penske Porsche 917

"In Japan we no give fark for Subaru" - Trust Japan Technical Director
          (TM - AVENGE)

"You can never have enough power. I remember when we had Group B cars... THEN we had enough power!"
          Juha Kankkunen - Rally of Argentina '02

Comment

The pickup.

Early flight from Gatwick to Glasgow - Arrived early. Excellent. Get to the airport and there she is, gleaming in the sun.

Car looks nice, kick the tyres, have a poke around, it seems what it says it is* and I pay the man his money.

*this is where it begins to go wrong.

Get on the road, radio on, no traffic - life is good.

Punch out 300ish miles in next to no time. Scottish roads are barely populated and policed meaning a comfortable cruising pace of 80 mph, bliss!

Filthy pie and mash as reward with a victoria sponge to top it off.

The guy I bought the car off tipped me off on this place, fantastic rest stop on the motorway operated by a farmers co-op. Tebay services in Cumbria - highly recommend.

Name:	IMG_8355.jpeg
Views:	464
Size:	1.84 MB
ID:	7269327

After lunch decided was time to fill up. In the UK, motorway service stations are generally 20p a litre more expensive so using waze found a Tesco not too far off route.

Tesco offers 99 octane fuel here for a similar price to 91 octane at the regular service stations which is nice, fuel here is really fucking expensive though which is not nice.

Anyway, this is where it begins to go to shit.

After filling up I cut a T junction a bit wide. No biggie, I say, I'll just back up a little and recut the turn.

Go to grab reverse, grab 6th and stall. Sort of chuckle to myself as I haven't had a 6 speed before and bask in how I've finally made it in life.

This time I go to grab reverse and it's not there.

Traffic is beginning to build.

Pressure intensifies.

I put some brute strength to forcing it into reverse. Nothing. It's not not popping over.

(6th is next to first on the top left and is accessed by pushing lever further to the right).

What feels like an eternity goes by and I realise there is no reverse.

I have to push the car. Fuck.

Thankfully an old codger is walking by and offers assistance.

It's at this point in time I begin not feeling too well about my new purchase.

Call the old owner multiple times, no response. Great.

Call some mates with the same gearbox, perhaps theres a mechanism I don't know about? They cheerfully confirm that no, there isn't.

Begin sifting through the paperwork and notice on last invoice that reverse is difficult to engage. Oh boy....

Now is when I began thinking back to the play by play of the car pickup. How the car was strategically parked to leave the parking lot without using reverse, the hasty exit of the owner, those sort of things.

Anyway, can't do anything about it so deep in despair I solider on.

Next 250 or miles go without fault, just feelings of remorse, anger, frustration. Also, no call back from the old owner.

I'm now about due for a rest stop and decide to nip in to my friend Andrew's place in Cambridge for some respite and a friendly ear to unload my reverse woes.

Seeing as the car is driving forwards well we decide it would be a good idea to go for a quick burn.

This was not a good idea.

Andrew has a 986S so we were quite intrigued to see the differences.

Fun anorak fact, the 986S has the M96 3.2 motor, this was the original motor designed for the 996. Late in the game Porsche engineers felt it prudent to up the capacity to 3.4 to offer a bigger step forward in performance - or so the internet says!

It was at this point I was telling him about how I lit up the rears (Michelin Cup 2s) when merging after lunch and thought I should demonstrate again.

This pains me to write this now.

7k clutch dump first time went quite well, didn't quite bag it up like last time I thought but still decent.

Maybe I'll try again at the next on ramp.

This was a really bad idea.

The clutch ended up taking the burn this time, the other weird thing I noticed was a small cloud behind the car.

There is a video of this which will never be shared online. It similar to the Ralph Wiggum bit in the Simpsons where you can see the moment his heart rips in half.

Car is driving fine, Andrew casually mentions he probably wouldn't have done that in his car and we mutually decide to take the easy route home.

Thinking we were just nursing a clutch, I'm rather surprised when the coolant gauge begins flashing and the needle is in a zone I've never seen it.

I kill the engine and pull over immediately.

Walk to the back of the car, pool of coolant underneath. We have bit of a poke around. Andrew opens my oil cap, milk. Fuck.

Name:	IMG_8401.jpeg
Views:	453
Size:	1.36 MB
ID:	7269328

Comment

well, that sucks, tough luck. what now?
              as you're in the UK i'd be rebuilding the 3.4 - really the best place in the world to be for a rebuild (my mechanic sends his cases to the UK for work when they have bore scoring)

Comment

K swap time!

I'd look at second hand engines? Must be far cheaper in the UK than here in Australia
                "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower." - Mark Donahue Penske Porsche 917

"In Japan we no give fark for Subaru" - Trust Japan Technical Director
                (TM - AVENGE)

"You can never have enough power. I remember when we had Group B cars... THEN we had enough power!"
                Juha Kankkunen - Rally of Argentina '02

Comment

Spewing. The tale is terrific. I hope their are some positives. Next installment stat.
                  CAD Automotive Paint Correction, like us on the faceballs. Discounts on all detailing and ceramic coatings for PF members

Comment

Originally posted by itsnotagsr View Post
                    K swap time!

I'd look at second-hand engines? Must be far cheaper in the UK than here in Australia
                    :rofl:

i wonder if you can feel the difference when driving between having boxer piston arrangement and this abortion:

Name:	Porsche-911-Kswap-turbo-013.jpg
Views:	424
Size:	237.6 KB
ID:	7269414

could be worse I guess:

Comment

Oof. What a beginning....
                      Originally posted by piss98
                      fuck I'd be happy to suck Bill Gates off

Comment

TBH rebuild in the UK is a win. Parts are easy ex Europe and there is fuckloads of old codger places who can do the machining.

may as well take it to the quick doctor too

If it was here - less people to do machining and buying parts locally mean you’d have to be baller

Comment

Well damn...

Not a great start. I guess if nothing else, you'll have a story to tell and know it's sorted once back on the road.

Comment

wow, rollercoaster ride thread! Here's hoping for the happy ending...
                            Originally posted by Jim
                            I feel that rules are important as without rules there is no cheating and cheating is a vital part of drag racing.

Originally posted by elfturbomax
                            What has happened to PF? It seems to be diesel love now days. Maybe the name should be changed to Particulate Forums.

Comment

Originally posted by Stix Zadinia View Post
                              well, that sucks, tough luck. what now?
                              as you're in the UK i'd be rebuilding the 3.4 - really the best place in the world to be for a rebuild (my mechanic sends his cases to the UK for work when they have bore scoring)
                              Yup send it to Hartech

1998 MX5 - Ohlins DFV coilovers, Roll bar,15 x7.5 Konig Litespeeds, Mania Intake
                              2014 Colorado LT - Oversized Whitegoods. Kid/bike/track hack/horse hauler.

Comment

Updates please
                                CAD Automotive Paint Correction, like us on the faceballs. Discounts on all detailing and ceramic coatings for PF members

Comment

Working...
                                X