Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UZZ32 Soarer aka lol wtf have i done

So barely 6 months ago i said this about Soarers

Click image for larger version  Name:	lol.PNG Views:	0 Size:	22.2 KB ID:	7257784

So naturally a few weeks ago i bought a UZZ32 Soarer, non-running, fucked, from a wreckers yard. Genius move. So this thread will be about my attempts to either get it running, licensed and not a rolling shitshow, or part it out and make about $6.50.
    Originally posted by Jim
    I feel that rules are important as without rules there is no cheating and cheating is a vital part of drag racing.

Originally posted by elfturbomax
    What has happened to PF? It seems to be diesel love now days. Maybe the name should be changed to Particulate Forums.

The car in question was advertised on Gumtree by a wreckers yard. Someone pretty quickly identified it as a UZZ32 and posted a FYI on the main Soarer FB page

I dont know if i was drunk or just bored at the time but at some point i decided that one unrego'd Soarer in my back yard was not enough, so i went down to have a look at it.

It sat near their front entrance and looked a mess. The paint was well fucked with the clearcoat peeling off every upper surface. Because these use hydraulics instead of springs in the suspension it was sitting on it's bump stops because it hadnt run for obviously a long time. That meant i couldnt get a look underneath it to see what state the chassis and (most importantly) the suspension was in.

However, i could see the build plate in the engine bay and this confirmed it was UZZ32 number 867 of 872, the 5th last car ever made.
    Originally posted by Jim
    I feel that rules are important as without rules there is no cheating and cheating is a vital part of drag racing.

What has happened to PF? It seems to be diesel love now days. Maybe the name should be changed to Particulate Forums.

Comment

So i bought it on the spot, because of course i did. Genius move.

Had it trucked back to my place, and the first problem was how to get it off the flatbed, because it didnt run, had about 2cm of ground clearance and my forklift was broken

Put some air in the tyres in a desperate attempt to make it moveable, and after much fucking about we got it off the flatbed and pushed around the side of my house without totally destroying the front lip.

Behold

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_125177.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	1.44 MB
ID:	7257800

Name:	image_125176.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	1.00 MB
ID:	7257796
      Last edited by perthdrivers.txt; 03-06-21, 12:18 PM.
      Originally posted by Jim

Comment

lol in for the mental clusterfuck these can be. godspeed!
        I am junkie for swedish high quality shitboxes. my latest fix is this...
        WANTED: HOLDEN CALIBRA - WHAT YA GOT?
        robslothyoung - follow me on insta.

Comment

Haha awesome
          Turns out, far too much has been written about great men and not nearly enough about morons

Originally posted by seedyrom
          my neighbours called the cops...... not because of the sound of me working in the garage was too loud, but because i taped a cardboard box to my back, covered my self in vaseline and pretended i was a snail on their lawn

Comment

A bit of internet digging on Soarer forums and i found a bit about the history of this car, the previous owner, but when i looked inside at the wreckers the first thing was it was FULL of papers - receipts, fast food wrappers, junk mail, letters, you name it. I emptied about half a skip-load out of the inside and boot. But looking through some of the stuff it was obvious the PO had run into some lets say "life difficulties". I think the car was loved initially but when something happened either to the car or the owner it was parked up and left. The latest dated reciept/letter i could find was 2015, so its likely been sitting for 5 or 6 years. I looked up the guys' address on Google maps and this is what i saw

Name:	183101791_1626046674267258_2126720946421427710_n.jpg?_nc_cat=107&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=dbeb18&_nc_ohc=u8Oh34d5lkcAX9ie29B&_nc_ht=scontent-syd2-1.xx&oh=42b1c2d144eced7a9de2e6b2c34c3717&oe=60DC33FF.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	399.8 KB
ID:	7257810
            Originally posted by Jim

Comment

The guy was an active poster on one of the Soarer forums from when he bought the car after it was imported by a dealer in VIC in ~2006, but disappeared from the internets around 2010.

I suspect it was sitting there in his driveway, broken, for years until it was dragged onto a flatbed and dumped at the wreckers where i bought it.

Anyway, first job was to see if it actually ran.

Battery was dead, i chucked a spare in, checked it had all the fluids and sure enough it did turn over as the wrecker had said, but that was all. Of course there was still some fuel in it but it was long gone, so plan was to undo the fuel line in the engine bay to drain it out but also to check the fuel pump actually worked as a dead pump was a possibility. Sure enough, with the line open and the fuel pump bridged in diagnostics i turned the key and - nothing. Dead pump.

Whipped out the back seat, first problem - a small lake there, because the sunroof leaks...

Name:	183056486_1626050150933577_2730558872286201758_n.jpg?_nc_cat=104&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=dbeb18&_nc_ohc=u1MXju4zh5wAX-06fK1&_nc_ht=scontent-syd2-1.xx&oh=2f16a822b84ca2ecafc33d54fa13cb91&oe=60DECB87.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	756.0 KB
ID:	7257813
              Originally posted by Jim

Comment

Second problem - it was pretty ugly in the fuel tank, a lot of crud. The rubber mount for the pump had turned into something resembling melted licorice. I had a bunch of spare pumps so swapped one over, poured a bit of fresh fuel in the tank and ran the pump. This is what came out

Click image for larger version  Name:	183512819_1626051924266733_3309207041862322476_n.jpg?_nc_cat=100&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=dbeb18&_nc_ohc=9qGoMwTzz1IAX9ecWtH&tn=mKXL7D3V0X9VxcSL&_nc_ht=scontent-syd2-1.xx&oh=2783f0a37ac274864783afea63ffb430&oe=60DC50DB.jpg Views:	13 Size:	978.9 KB ID:	7257816

Click image for larger version  Name:	183467640_1626056327599626_2197439857877315927_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=dbeb18&_nc_ohc=F9WBvDSMB2wAX_oi3YB&_nc_ht=scontent-syd2-1.xx&oh=dd18196cf6bf1e454ccd99abcbe5c50e&oe=60DEB58F.jpg Views:	13 Size:	869.8 KB ID:	7257817

Got as much out of the tank as possible then filled with fresh fuel and connected the lines back up. Turned the key and... the fucking thing started almost straight away!

Last edited by perthdrivers.txt; 03-06-21, 03:14 PM.
                Originally posted by Jim

Comment

Critical question to the viability of the whole thing was did the suspension work. A 32 with fucked hydraulics has even less worth than a regular Soarer, which is to say, nothing.

Sure enough after a few seconds of running, the car looked like this

It lives!

The dash Klingon message is telling me the alternator is fucked though. And i cant see how many kays are on the car as the LCD screen has bled. The EMV touchscreen doesnt work at all and the ABS/TRC brake accumulator motor (!) runs every few seconds which means the high-pressure nitrogen accumulator is flat.

But most importantly all these things are fixable. There is a small band of dedicated UZZ32 anoraks who have worked out how to keep these things going, to the point where parts availability isnt a dealbreaker. I hope.

Last edited by perthdrivers.txt; 03-06-21, 12:51 PM.
                  Originally posted by Jim

Comment

Nice and awesome write up i will follow this. I remember back before youtube we had to collect car vids from the net and swap and burn them amongst car guys like getaway in stockholm or whatever random vids you could find. Anyway i had a vid of someone doing skid pan testing of these against the normal suspension soarers to show how much better they handled at the time etc.

Keen to see this build come together.
                    www.holditflat.com

Comment

Cheers

So of course now that it ran i had to take it for a drive, couldnt go far because no plates but enough to confirm the suspension wasnt going to try to throw me off the road. Engine doesnt tick, is smooth and no smoke so i think its a goodun. It changed gears. Compared to the regular V8s ive had, acceleration is "leisurely", but my zero-cost option should i get it roadworthy will be to replace the stock lazy 3.9 single-spinner with the Supra 4.27 LSD i've got.

Also now that the car was raised i could have a look underneath, the wreckers obviously forklifted the car at some point so sill damage would be an issue, especially if i ever want to get it licensed again. Luckily from a brief look under it wasnt too bad, there were tell-tail signs of forks but this was about the worst... fixable. All the hydraulic and rear steering lines are pretty well protected so there shouldnt be any issues. At least i could now drive it into my shed where its finally out of the weather for the first time in years...

Name:	182959957_1626074224264503_8847858206615221100_n.jpg?_nc_cat=107&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=dbeb18&_nc_ohc=aMTX08YusLgAX9xVXR6&_nc_ht=scontent-syd2-1.xx&oh=af7246d01143b34e10553f374190aa87&oe=60DBF844.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	542.3 KB
ID:	7257834
                      Originally posted by Jim

Comment

One of the must-do's on these cars - and pretty much every 1980s/90s Toyota - is to check the ECU for dead caps. Replacing them is pretty much a given as even if they havnt leaked all over the PCB they are still 20-30yo and its only a matter of time.

This guy lives in the passengers footwell. Telltale signs of some leaking but not too bad, luckily this aint my first rodeo and i had all the weird-value caps so ticked this job off the list.

Click image for larger version  Name:	188335918_1634593946745864_5271924669369811869_n.jpg?_nc_cat=102&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=dbeb18&_nc_ohc=rLF3lnvGZQkAX8KMWVZ&_nc_ht=scontent-syd2-1.xx&oh=cd71fdeeea1e2c9bacd77393936d1d86&oe=60DFA8F4.jpg Views:	3 Size:	106.4 KB ID:	7257845

The Idle control valve on teh engine was next cab off the rank, as the idle was not as stable as it shouldve been and is generally annoying if it isnt working properly. With the early-series Soarers you could easily disassemble them and replace the bearings inside and give them a good cleanout, but these later 1UZs the thing is sealed. Apparently not impossible to open up but not as easy. So i took it off , filled it with oil and let it sit overnight. I also got a length of heater hose and did the simple heated throttle body/IACV bypass, because we dont live in Antarctica but also because 1 bit of new hose > 3 bits of 25yo hose.

This first job on the engine was not a great experience, as every single vacuum hose on the top end was as brittle as fuck and broke before coming off. hmmm. Luckily i had spares for most. Also the throttle body had a fair bit of oil deposits in it. Signs of oil sludge in the filler too, so either big kays on the car, or shit maintenance, or both. Not super awesome news but whatever. I gave it a birthday with fresh oil and a filter anyway. The oil that came out looked pretty yuck.

Discoveries from taking the engine undertrays off:

* LOL hoses
                        * oh theres the battery terminal cover
                        * steering rack bushes looking a bit sad
                        * oil coating trans pan and exhaust = rear main leak

Click image for larger version  Name:	191631792_1641200419418550_6235269898788221987_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=dbeb18&_nc_ohc=bkKhh71yts8AX88xcEs&_nc_ht=scontent-syd2-1.xx&oh=9a7a2e0d876ab9d56533bdb1e8918191&oe=60DFC61F.jpg Views:	3 Size:	80.1 KB ID:	7257846

Click image for larger version  Name:	192816918_1641200239418568_311124010520252926_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=dbeb18&_nc_ohc=u_6SwlewWpMAX9vP45f&_nc_oc=AQllwiW-s-RT8bScKR3s-DTmD7iToJwGblCWcubZ7ihta5q7sk5mZ54ne_vEfOUXkUs&_nc_ht=scontent-syd2-1.xx&oh=4e283f713a8b Views:	3 Size:	97.7 KB ID:	7257847

Not at the point of wanting to cut myself - yet.
                        Last edited by perthdrivers.txt; 03-06-21, 02:52 PM.
                        Originally posted by Jim

Comment

Loving this so far - keep going!

Comment

fucken uzz32s.. you are a sucker for punishment. i've had two Z30s (1UZ and 1JZ) and that was two too many...
                            1988 AW11 9A-GTE - Turbo Missile | 2004 Elise K20A - N/A Screamer | 1984 MA61 1JZ-GTE - 80s Cruiser

Comment

I dont reckon the regular Soarers are that bad, in fact pretty much all the mechanicals of them are solid as and well-designed/manufactured, its the interior stuff that shits me the most. Wait till i put up some pics of this one....

Having said that, these 32's are like the end-level boss compared to other models....
                              Originally posted by Jim

Comment

Working...
                              X