No announcement yet.

Luke's F20 M135 rebuild- kleiner deutscher wagen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My E46 had 290,000km, and barely used a drop of oil. Ragged the living fuck out of it. Only failed TÜV because the rear brake lines were rusty. Only problem it really had was the infamous biodegradable cooling system.
    ​​​​​​Newer ones being shagged at 100,000km is more a reflection of them being owned by dimwits who don't service them.
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Comment

My N54 had 128k on it, was tuned for most of its life and used oil at the standard rate. Cooling system as gammaboy suggested was biodegradable.
      When too much horsepower is barely enough

Comment

Yeah common across the BMW 6s I've touched (M and N gen) is the cooling systems a disposable. That's actually not so bad- they're not ridiculously expensive and its good to replace it because most modern motors are junk if they cook themselves.

The biggest issue I can see is the DI motors just carbon up like a mofo. I feel like the fix could be fairly easy (manifold fuel injector?) but BMW are not interested. My plan is to get an oil-air separator on there and hopefully some water-meth injection. I believe water-meth, or even just water, would do a super job of cleaning the inlet and piston ring area if its used consistently. The other thing I might try is some of that subaru cylinder cleaner pumped in before the throttle body at each service although I haven't fully thought that one through yet.

Comment

Originally posted by biteme View Post
          My N54 had 128k on it, was tuned for most of its life and used oil at the standard rate. Cooling system as gammaboy suggested was biodegradable.
          Have had similar experience across my 1ers and friends N54/55's. Not so much early gen E90/92 N54's for some reason when they go FBO.

Great progress on the car Luke. Keen to hear your thoughts when the LCA's are in.
          Kebabhunter

Comment

Originally posted by lukevl View Post
            ...And don't forget all that M branding

That is sexy
            Jaguar XJR, Freelander 2 HSE, Jaguar XKR, MINI Cooper S
            Originally posted by nutttr
            People must assume you are some sort of drug dealer with all these nice cars turning up to a fibro home

Comment

Biggest issue with BMW motors is that they chew oil and are generally underserviced (15,000km intervals!) so that people have lower lease payments.
              "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower." - Mark Donahue Penske Porsche 917

"In Japan we no give fark for Subaru" - Trust Japan Technical Director
              (TM - AVENGE)

"You can never have enough power. I remember when we had Group B cars... THEN we had enough power!"
              Juha Kankkunen - Rally of Argentina '02

Comment

Originally posted by itsnotagsr View Post
                Biggest issue with BMW motors is that they chew oil and are generally underserviced (15,000km intervals!) so that people have lower lease payments.
                Ironic, back when I had them, everyone used to bang on about how they were overserviced and I should ignore the service indicators as they were only there to make the dealer rich.

Comment

The whole thing reminds me of what carburettors were like back in the 1980s. They'd started off as nice simple things with a single venturi and like 3 points of adjustment and then as they were pushed further and further to meet more and more requirements the engineers added more and more little mechanical bits to adjust for temperature and outside air pressure and engine temp and pollution regulation and this and that and ....

By the time you opened up something on say a Series 2 RX7 it was like you'd popped the back on a swiss watch.

Then they threw everything away and replaced it with some solenoid valves and a circuit board to control it. All the complexity is moved to an encapsulated chip and the software, the mechanics are now dead simple.

I'm getting the impression that the entire mechanical engine is about to have to same experience. All those delicate precision mechanisms about to be thrown away and replaced by a simple electric motor, with all the complexity moved into the computers and software controlling it, and the chemistry in the batteries.

If you admire the mechanisms it's a loss. If you know how to take control and look after all the mechanical stuff, you find yourself needing to learn everything new from scratch. And it probably won't sound as good.
                  Originally posted by clutch-monkey;n7281544

If there’s one thing this has all taught me, it’s that most people have no idea how a vaccine actually works. Or how numbers work either.

Comment

Who let Dr Postalot out of the covid threads?

Comment

My internets fuckered, the skid pics are not loading for me
                      People must assume you are some sort of drug dealer with all these nice cars turning up to a fibro home

Comment

Need $3k or whatever money it is for the m sport diff. Mental $$. It’s atrocious with the open diff

Comment

4k for a Quaife and 5k for M sport. Bolt in/out complete diffs through SouthernBM....

Fuck BMW for welding the centre to the CW.
                          '03 350Z - Street & track [SOLD]
                          '12 Megane 8:08 - Street & track [SOLD]
                          '15 VW Touareg - Daily & tow car [SOLD]
                          '99 Evo 6 - Track
                          '74 Mazda 808 - Daily/Resto project [SOLD]
                          '10 Swift Sport of boredom
                          '14 BMW M235i

Comment

Originally posted by lukevl View Post
                            Need $3k or whatever money it is for the m sport diff. Mental $$. It’s atrocious with the open diff
                            We'd be happy with a video of a good single pegger I reckon

Comment

Originally posted by monk_13 View Post
                              4k for a Quaife and 5k for M sport. Bolt in/out complete diffs through SouthernBM....

Fuck BMW for welding the centre to the CW.
                              Eww I didn’t realise that was the issue. I had a quick look to see if there is an LSD option from another car but haven’t completed the research yet. That money is so stupid

Comment

The Quaife for my XKR cost me $3.5k landed at the time, a complete diff assembly just swap it over.

Not cheap, but worth every penny, the first time I put my foot down and it just hooked up and went, made it all worthwhile.

Later on I got the chance to drive two identical cars back to back, one with the Quaife (mine) and one with the crap open diff (a customers), further cemented my decision.

Short term pain for long term gain.

Comment

Working...
                                X