Tales of Sebastian Woodhouse the 3rd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tales of Sebastian Woodhouse the 3rd

This thread is for possibly the most mundane form of Daily Driver ever invented, I’m not going to sugar coat it with lashings of chrome and faux timber, it’s a thread on a fucking Camry.

Yep.

A fucking Camry.

There’s a story behind it, but first imagine getting up in the morning, stumble down to the home office and start work for the day. Around 9am you fire up the security cam software to see how many locals were helpfully checking your car doors in the middle of the night.

Not gonna lie, reality hits when you realise it’s in your driveway, and not leaving in a hurry.

This therefore is a thread of firsts;
    - First Camry thread on PF
    - My first Toyota purchase
    - My first Auction car

That will do for an introduction. It hurts if I think about what I’ve done too long in one go.
    ---
    Shed Project: 1994 Laser Lynx with BP-T

Somehow I get the gist that this will not be another LS1 conversion thread.

Comment

RIP Aaron. He used to be cool man
      Turns out, far too much has been written about great men and not nearly enough about morons

Originally posted by seedyrom
      my neighbours called the cops...... not because of the sound of me working in the garage was too loud, but because i taped a cardboard box to my back, covered my self in vaseline and pretended i was a snail on their lawn

Comment

Give that man a prize!

Nope boring dependable transport. The Toyota fabled reliability and quality makes it perfect (except where it’s not).

Sebastian was bought site unseen from Sydney, he’d been lumped with a bunch of other cars that were too old to be Ubers, and needing some work before they could go onto “the lot” as a dealer sold car.

The little we could determine was that there was zero body damage, the service history was mostly complete with Toyota (more on that later) and was essentially roadworthy and stock as a 7 year old rock. The engine mounts may be suspect and the brakes weren’t great. Red flags to many, but cheap to DIY.

He was dumped off the truck at Pickles Canberra, and became our problem.
        ---

Comment

Once he hit the driveway at home nopics had a fun afternoon discovering how much human slime, silicone detailing spray and filth we have to remove.

I was back on the other side of town piecing together the service history against the schedule and working out just how fucked the oily bits may be.

But first the critical detail. I’ve called it a Camry but technically Sebastian Woodhouse the 3rd is a 2014 Toyota Aurion Prodigy.

Anyone who has done “their own research” will know the 2GR-FE is known to sludge up, and the only way they don’t is to double down on servicing. It would appear “double down on servicing” wasn’t in the previous owners mantra.

It’s been serviced by a few Toyota dealers, until the most recent one (supposedly done earlier this year). The book is stamped, but it’s also the most expensive service - $1200ish and does Spark Plugs, every filter and so on. I’m skeptical.

It doesn’t have the startup rattles of the VVT being full of gunk, so there’s that.

But the rest of it?

Body is very straight. Paint is heavily marred, and has holograms and shimmer from being prepped for sale/trade.

Boot is in decent condition, no crash repair evidence or damage.

Back seat leather is pretty decent, I doubt there were many young kids in here, but there’s wear in unusual places.

The back of the folding rear seats. It’s like it hauled flat packs all day every day.

So much human slime and silicone laden trim spray.

All the cubbies, bins are worn around the edges. This one doesn’t even open.

With some jiggling! Money!

The paint actually has a great metallic fleck through it and should look magic after being somewhat corrected and ceramic coated.

And that’s where we stand for now.

Plan is to thoroughly clean it, then clean it some more, and finally do the paint work.

I’ve ordered a heftier rear anti-roll bar, service parts and it’s looking likely we will throw all new brakes under it.

Will need a set of tyres, it’s a mixed bag of brands (Toyo, Bridgestone, Achilles and Hankook) but tread is legal so that can wait until after it’s inspected and registered.

Likewise a suitable dark tint, you know, because no one should be seen driving a Camry.
          ---

Comment

Well I did have a Camry for sale thread at one point but can't find a thread from when I got it (unsurprising, who starts a thread about a Camry.....oh wait!)

At least the new ones are much much better than the one I owned and could potentially pull the skin off a custard (without using 15l/100km to make 50kw like our one did) :p

https://performanceforums.com/forums...si-2-2ltr-auto
            Hide yo' wife!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron View Post
              ...Camry.... and not leaving in a hurry....
              Click image for larger version

Name:	?u=https%3A%2F%2Fmedia.giphy.com%2Fmedia%2FcQtlhD48EG0SY%2Fgiphy.gif&f=1&nofb=1.gif
Views:	574
Size:	859.8 KB
ID:	7278400
              "Keep lowering your standards until you achieve a goal" - Mike Finnegan

Comment

Anyone who has done “their own research” will know the 2GR-FE is known to do FWD skids like a fucking boss and I'm hoping to provide evidence of Sebastian billowing more plumes than Chernobyl in the future.
                fixed that for you
                www.holditflat.com

Comment

Taking bets on only the front 3 plugs having been changed?

Comment

Originally posted by aerobrick View Post
                    Taking bets on only the front 3 plugs having been changed?
                    Went out and pulled the cover. There’s no way even the front plugs were done in May. No chance

Name:	61DE033F-B954-495B-9FA9-0B3E30020F23.jpeg
Views:	569
Size:	3.86 MB
ID:	7278430
                    No one has been under there in a very long time, and certainly not in the last couple of months.

Which is what I expected the moment I saw the books and the dates. Plugs are $60 and a fuck around of a job.

Will do the entire major service ourselves for peace of mind and a couple of oil changes before the next scheduled thing is due.

Name:	E819976D-169A-40AD-885B-26B33E4271BA.jpeg
Views:	563
Size:	3.11 MB
ID:	7278431
                    Paint is properly swirly swirls. And there’s a few places now that nopics has washed it 4 times stripping out the past detailers sins, where there scratches from cats or possums trying to climb it. Nothing insurmountable, but it’s going to take some work
                    ---

Comment

Which is what I expected the moment I saw the books and the dates. Plugs are $60 and a fuck around of a job.
                      Only time ive done worse is after I put the 2gr into my aw11 and thought fouled the plugs.....

Comment

This gives me even more incentive to start a thread for my 1996 Camry Wagon

Thanks Aaron for the motivation

Comment

Once he hit the driveway at home nopics had a fun afternoon discovering how much human slime, silicone detailing spray and filth we have to remove.

I

So much human slime and silicone laden trim spray.

Fuck lookslike more pubes than a communal shower.
                          Last edited by Lord_fahrquhar; 05-08-21, 08:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord_fahrquhar View Post

Fuck lookslike more pubes than a communal shower.
                            It’s going to be a job for cue-tips, toothpicks and a whole bunch of cleaning solutions for sure.
                            ---

Comment

How do you know the plugs haven't been done? Looks normal under the cover to me, unless you unexpected a detail at the same time.
                              ​Maybe pull one out and have a look.

Comment

Working...
                              X