Supercharged and mini... Checkmate!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jack Nicholson View Post

I realise I am probably preaching to the choir here, but....

- you know these things have i-Bus, and the i-Bus app can do all the same cool shit as in your L322... and handle the SWC integration to an Android head unit

- there are double-din fascia kits for the R50/52/53 https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133711977975

- there are double-din Android units from the same supplier as the one in your L322 https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003259095999.html

If it were me, that's what I'd be doing...

But you probably already have all this info bookmarked.
    Ta thanks! I've been looking into the whole double din thing... I've been tempted but it is more a driving car than a long distance one so was just considering an upgrade with BT.... But then someone reminded me of Waze... That in itself is probably worth it alone. I'm not as keen on relocating everything to fit double din, etc
    Originally posted by piss98
    fuck I'd be happy to suck Bill Gates off

Comment

Originally posted by Fatboy View Post
      Haha ! Still tempted to buy the Milf's R53 - have sold APRA car too now....

Hmmmm.
      Milf you say????

Comment

If anyone needs an after market R56 exhaust, I have one. No pics complained it was a bit noisy so pulled it off after a while.
        "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower." - Mark Donahue Penske Porsche 917

"In Japan we no give fark for Subaru" - Trust Japan Technical Director
        (TM - AVENGE)

"You can never have enough power. I remember when we had Group B cars... THEN we had enough power!"
        Juha Kankkunen - Rally of Argentina '02

Comment

Originally posted by Fatboy View Post
          Haha ! Still tempted to buy the Milf's R53 -

Hmmmm.

Originally posted by nutttr View Post

They are fun things to drive!

Yep. The Mini could be good too.

Originally posted by clutch-monkey;n7281544

If there’s one thing this has all taught me, it’s that most people have no idea how a vaccine actually works. Or how numbers work either.

Comment

For those playing along, I have now changed the chain tensioner... For some reason the tensioner side of the chain was under enough tension that I couldn't get the fucking new one in for love nor money...

I spent almost 2 hours trying to get it in, trying all sorts of things, but could not push it in. So I had a short break, played with the old one and had an epiphany... Put a spanner on the crank and turned it a bit to slacken off the tensioner side and it went in with zero effort... I was almost at the point of rage quitting by that stage.

Everyone says "just put the tensioner in compressed and the oil pressure releases it", but there's been a few people who have had their chains slip on first start... So I wanted to put it in extended (as is apparently possible)... Live and learn... Now it's very quiet on start up (old one was sticky).

Also got the M7 Speed cold air intake installed and there is a lot more induction noise now! Can really hear the whine!

Now, maybe, this weekend I'll do oil change and coolant hose & reservoir....

Comment

Fuck I miss my R53 sometimes.
              Had a drive of a JCW GP3 a week or two ago (a mate just got one). Same engine as my car (225kw B48), but FWD only. If you think the R53 torque steers, holy fuck, the GP3 is MENTAL. I fucking loved it. It’s exactly what I miss about the R53, so much character and an event to drive. Yes my car is probably quicker in a straight line (f40 m135) being AWD, but the GP3 is about 300kg’s lighter and you can really feel it. And talk about stripped out - no back seats, no parking sensors or rear camera (you don’t realise how much you miss these until they’re not there), base stereo, the thing doesn’t even have a rear wiper.

Comment

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
                Fuck I miss my R53 sometimes.
                Had a drive of a JCW GP3 a week or two ago (a mate just got one). Same engine as my car (225kw B48), but FWD only. If you think the R53 torque steers, holy fuck, the GP3 is MENTAL. I fucking loved it. It’s exactly what I miss about the R53, so much character and an event to drive. Yes my car is probably quicker in a straight line (f40 m135) being AWD, but the GP3 is about 300kg’s lighter and you can really feel it. And talk about stripped out - no back seats, no parking sensors or rear camera (you don’t realise how much you miss these until they’re not there), base stereo, the thing doesn’t even have a rear wiper.
                How does it compare to other good FWDs, like the Renaults?
                "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower." - Mark Donahue Penske Porsche 917

"In Japan we no give fark for Subaru" - Trust Japan Technical Director
                (TM - AVENGE)

"You can never have enough power. I remember when we had Group B cars... THEN we had enough power!"
                Juha Kankkunen - Rally of Argentina '02

Comment

Dunno, haven’t driven any!

Comment

Originally posted by itsnotagsr View Post

How does it compare to other good FWDs, like the Renaults?
                    Which I also could afford.... So a RS182 or a R53?

Mini is forced induction, so easier to get that first 35% power up...
                    Originally posted by clutch-monkey;n7281544

If there’s one thing this has all taught me, it’s that most people have no idea how a vaccine actually works. Or how numbers work either.

Comment

That's nice.

I bought one of these a couple of months ago an 06 Park Lane. Didn't have the chrono package. But have the important shit like lsd and xenon. I changed all the engine mounts to poly except for the hydraulic top mount. have a spare lower one that I had somehow clicked to buy if wanted for free. I also have done the LCA mount as they shit themselves. I did it without dropping the subframe. Car is night and day better with them changed. Kick the front wheel and see if it moves.

Comment

Originally posted by im_boostn View Post
                        That's nice.

I bought one of these a couple of months ago an 06 Park Lane. Didn't have the chrono package. But have the important shit like lsd and xenon. I changed all the engine mounts to poly except for the hydraulic top mount. have a spare lower one that I had somehow clicked to buy if wanted for free. I also have done the LCA mount as they shit themselves. I did it without dropping the subframe. Car is night and day better with them changed. Kick the front wheel and see if it moves.
                        Ah nice! My reason for buying this one was low km... At 92k it was damn low compared to almost anything on the market... I had to change the engine mount as that was screwed, but is the lower mount you have poly too? I'll potentially take the lower mount too? No harm in replacing it, pm me and we can work something out .

The LCA aren't dead in this, it feels very tight, but they are original, so it's a matter of time. I believe you can buy specific tools to press the LCA out in situ, but that it's easier to do by dropping subframe???

I had PDR done today by a local guy up here and he did a really good job on it, can't see any of the dents at all now, proper job! Was cheaper than expected too, so that can go to sorting out the flex pipe on the exhaust which seems to be leaking.

Other things fixed:

Ultragauge installed on 3d printed bracket from the UK Engine fan low speed resistor replaced with an external 100w resistor (picked up thermal paste for it today)
                        Coolant reservoir replaced

Waiting on shipping for the tensioner tool... And a metal dipstick. Want to do an oil change but the current dipstick is fibreglass (standard) and it's full of little cracks... They do break and get stuck and I don't really want to touch it again until I have another way to measure my oil levels! The stupid sump bolt is stripped and jammed too, but I've got an oil extractor now to use for the change... Just need a dipstick that isn't going to break off...

Comment

I cut the bushes out with a saw and pressed it in situ with a m12 high tensile bolt, some Bunnings gal plate and 10 washers. Haven't had issues with dip stick but it's started to develop some oil leaks.

I want to do the sc pulley but you have to buy the removal tool for$100 just to use it once.

Comment

Originally posted by im_boostn View Post
                            I cut the bushes out with a saw and pressed it in situ with a m12 high tensile bolt, some Bunnings gal plate and 10 washers. Haven't had issues with dip stick but it's started to develop some oil leaks.

I want to do the sc pulley but you have to buy the removal tool for$100 just to use it once.
                            Nice idea, I'll have to look at that...
                            the dipstick is fibreglass and due to the mad angles it takes means it snaps... If you look closely at it you might see it's full of small cracks like mine is...

Yeah, same here! Sometimes the removal doesn't go well and it ends up stuck on... Then you need to crack out the angle grinder... That's what I'm not keen on! I'll go halves in the removal tool?

Comment

come on Fatboy slip that milf an envelope of pineapples and get on the MINI bandwagon
                              Jaguar XJR, Freelander 2 HSE, Jaguar XKR, MINI Cooper S
                              Originally posted by nutttr
                              People must assume you are some sort of drug dealer with all these nice cars turning up to a fibro home

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Nicholson View Post
                                come on Fatboy slip that milf an envelope of pineapples and get on the MINI bandwagon
                                Ha, this! Sure, they need some work usually... But they are so fun to drive. I even fit 1 booster and a child seat in the back and only 1 kid complains about limited footroom, but she's bit of a whinger anyway :D

Did this the other night, both front speakers were blown and the right side missing entirely... I think the rear 6x9's sound terrible too, so that's another thing on the list... After the headunit (I want my BT!)

Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20211006_111939316.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	4.33 MB
ID:	7302459

Downside is that these were 5 1/4", so not strong in the bass department, but they do sound very clear and for $180, a perfect with with the speaker adapters I bought. Normally I'd make my own spacers and fit 6.5" in there (which I already have), but no garage or space to work means this is the best I can do for now. Everything looks 100% stock too.
                                Last edited by nutttr; 10-10-21, 08:29 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X