Porsche 'Bahnstormer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Porsche 'Bahnstormer

Back in 1987, I was eleven years old. I decided, in my infinite childhood wisdom, to do a talk at school. Actually it was called the English Speaking Board, and you got to stand in front of the whole school and rabbit on about your chosen subject for 10 minutes, memorise a poem, read a passage from a book, and take questions afterwards. Because I knew no better and I liked cars, I chose to talk about Porsche.

So my Mum drove me to the Porsche dealer in Norwich and I blagged a huge box full of brochures covering every single model they produced at that time - 924, 944, 911 and 928, 87 model year for all. They were a lovely matte silver finish and I wish I still had them. Amongst these brochures, which I would study at great length in preparation for my talk (which was total and complete bollocks, as you might expect of an 11 year old, but I passed with a credit, meh...) was a massive poster of a Porsche 959 on some pebbles which went on to adorn my bedroom wall for years, sharing space with the obligatory white Countach and a red Testarossa. Just like this in fact, creases and all:

Anyway, I decided at my recent birthday party that there was no time like the present and instead of just looking and admiring from afar, I should actually just fucking do it. After many years of procrastination, excuses, self-doubt, and frankly being a little bit scared, I went seriously hunting for a Porsche 959…

… wait, no I didn’t…

Shit. I meant to say 928.

I decided on which variant I wanted to pursue (last of the original shape cars) and picked the cheapest that was out there to look at first, which is typical Nick behaviour. This despite my brain reminding me the oft-ignored advice of experts “buy the best you can afford”…

Spoke to a lovely guy in Melbourne about his car, had a video walkaround and discovered that it was a little bit rougher than I wanted. I won’t list out the things that put me off this one, but suffice it to say for the price being asked I didn’t want to insult him with a low offer. Nor did I want to have to spend money fixing the bits that weren’t up to par.

So on to the second car I looked at, a 1989 928 S4, which wasn’t actually my first choice in terms of the variant, but it was appealing enough for me to pick up the phone. It was a very nice example, ticked all the boxes. Except, the older guy who owned it had unfortunately not kept ANY of the receipts over the course of the last 20 or so years – he’d paid for it all with cash; no invoices. Had stamps in the book, but no record of anything apart from his handwritten notes. Which was cute, but I meant I would offer him far less than he wanted. I did that, we played a short game of tag, and then my offer was declined and the car was marked as sold about 10 minutes after our last conversation. I do wonder if it actually did sell, and if he got his asking price. I will never know.

Dejected, I sat on my hands for a while. There was one other car out there that I wanted to look at, but I was put off by the higher asking price. A few beers later one evening once I’d remembered “buy the best you can afford”, I figured I’d kick myself if I didn’t call this guy up, so that’s what I did the next morning.

So we chatted for a long while, even though we both should’ve been working. I got a good vibe from him, very nice guy. He told me all the things I wanted to hear and the car itself ticked all the right boxes too so we arranged to have a FaceTime walkaround the car. That day was Saturday just gone, and I spent a very enjoyable hour or so checking it out as best I could through a phone screen and chatting to the owner about this and that as we went. By the end of the video call, I had decided that I wanted to buy it. We threw a couple of numbers around and within about a minute we had negotiated the sale of his car to me. Here's a sneaky pic of it:

The last few days have been a bit of a blur… money has been transferred (and the agonising wait that ensued gave us both the willies), paperwork emailed, printed, signed, scanned, emailed again, printed, signed, scanned, emailed, logistics have been organised, the car has been freshly serviced, etc. It's being dropped off for transport to Brisbane tomorrow morning and I’m not looking forward to the wait while it makes its way up here from Sydney. Wish I could’ve flown down and driven it back up, which is how I’ve bought my last couple of cars and makes the whole experience a lot of fun. Not so this time, sadly.

My combined excitement and terror level is through the fucking roof at the moment. And it’s only going to get worse over the next couple of weeks. And when it gets here, it’ll go up some more! Twenty seven years after I passed my driving test, I am about to become a Porsche owner.

Crikey.

Looking forward to more details. Love these things, most desirable Porsche to me.

Comment

I saw one just like this the other day up near Willoughby in Sydney.
      CAD Automotive Paint Correction, like us on the faceballs. Discounts on all detailing and ceramic coatings for PF members

Comment

Fuckin......thought you'd bought a 959 to start with. I'll allow this, though. Nice.

Do you change the gears yourself or does the car do it?
        Last edited by willsy01; 21-10-21, 01:11 PM.

Comment

Well I suppose that is a fair excuse for rushing off from cars and coffee......

Comment

Originally posted by FLI355 View Post
            I saw one just like this the other day up near Willoughby in Sydney.
            Might have been the same car traveling to the mechanics for a service if it was on Tuesday!

Originally posted by willsy01 View Post
            The car does it, which IMO better suits them.

Comment

Originally posted by willsy01 View Post
              Fuckin......thought you'd bought a 959 to start with. I'll allow this, though. Nice.

Haha yes.. had my jaw well on the way to hit the ground when got through to the punchline.. well played
              Find your Freedom
              Home Loans | Car Loans | Investment Portfolios | Property Management
              www.FreedomFunding.com.au
              www.ProgressiveProperty.com.au

Click for PF Loans
              If you're thinking of buying, or that you may be paying too much on your home loan PM me for a no obligation chat!

Comment

Nice one - I too had a 928 poster on the wall when i was a kid.
                Race Car: VT Commodore (Murray)
                www.vsport.com.au

Comment

Fuck I have one that has been on a hoist for 4 months but don’t let me put you off 🤓

This is mine: - https://www.shannons.com.au/auctions...FFA8Y28A73EPJ/

Work so far includes:

- discs and pads front and rear;
                  - cambelt change
                  - engine mounts;
                  - steering rack;
                  - sump gasket
                  - rear main seal;
                  - cams reground and re-hardened due to scoring;
                  - recoating magnesium cam covers and intake manifold
                  - new tyres;
                  - new suspension bushes everywhere;
                  - driver's electric adjustment not working;

and the list is growing

This is on a 140,000 kay one owner car with full service history, so lots of traps for new players. Love the way it drives and look forward to seeing more pics of yours.
                  Last edited by exwrxex; 21-10-21, 04:31 PM.
                  VT, VH & C43

Comment

Congrats to both of you...lovely cars

Comment

Nice x 2!

Where do you guys source the parts? USA or UK/Germany?

Comment

Congrats! Look forward to seeing it around Brisbane. They strike me as a nice usable youngtimer (but I'm glad you're paying )

Comment

Originally posted by Neeek View Post

Might have been the same car traveling to the mechanics for a service if it was on Tuesday!

The car does it, which IMO better suits them.
                          Yep was Tuesday. Was being given an Italian tuneup so much so that it turned my head!
                          CAD Automotive Paint Correction, like us on the faceballs. Discounts on all detailing and ceramic coatings for PF members

Comment

Originally posted by FLI355 View Post

Yep was Tuesday. Was being given an Italian tuneup so much so that it turned my head!
                            Ha, that’s awesome! I’ll have to tell him he got spotto’d!

Comment

Oh yeah love this...

1998 MX5 - Ohlins DFV coilovers, Roll bar,15 x7.5 Konig Litespeeds, Mania Intake
                              2014 Colorado LT - Oversized Whitegoods. Kid/bike/track hack/horse hauler.

Comment

Working...
                              X