Announcement

Collapse

All new PerformanceForums is here

The long-awaited upgrade and server move is complete.

Whinge about shit HERE.

Looking for Tapatalk functionality? See this thread.
See more
See less

My MX83 1JZ-GTE Progress

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My MX83 1JZ-GTE Progress

Hey all.

Well phase 2 of our project car has finally arrived, it has made the trip down to the Sunshine Coast. Now that it is there, it will have its wiring sorted, an exhaust made up, and FMIC fitted along with custom piping.

We are hoping that the beast will run for the first time tomorrow (Good Friday - VERY good Friday if that happens), must remember to take some petrol, tank was completely drained when we put the aftermarket fuel pump in.

A little history. Early March last year, we saw a 91 Cressida Grande advertised with a blown head gasket. We rang up and the car was at the Gold Coast, so we had a drive down there and agreed to pay the $3K asking price, and that we would return in a week's time to pick it up. We then towed a (HEAVY) car trailer from Gympie to the GC and back with our prize on board. TIP : aging Rodeo Turbodiesels don't love big weights and big hills.
    Having got it home, we then bought one of JZK25's 1JZ-GTE motor and gearbox combos, and brought it home. Over the following year we installed motor and box, and Chaser steering box, using a combination of Cressida and Chaser mounts and bits and pieces. We also used the front suspension from the Chaser cut as the bushes appeared to be in better condition than the Cressida parts. We had then reached the tailshaft and were surprised when the Cressida shaft seemed to drop straight in and fit perfectly. We were then disappointed to see that the unis were stuffed and non replaceable, so we ended up getting a new shaft made by Farrow's Shafting at Nambour. The new shaft was single piece, replacing the two piece original. Later in the year, we tackled the need for a better fuel pump, with JZK25's help. He sourced and test installed a better pump into the cradle from the tank. We then took this home and installed it into the tank with a little modification. We then had great fun reinstalling the tank and the towbar which straddles it. Having done that, we had a bit of a break until a couple of weeks ago, when Al (JZK25) let us know that the 1UZ Tonner that he was working on was almost finished and he was ready for the Cressy to appear in his shed. Given that spur, we got organised and had a replacement power steering hose made up in town, and installed it a couple of days ago.

Today, we loaded the beast up and repeated the torture of our Rodeo, by towing the car from Widgee to the Sunshine Coast, about 85km. We were almost there when the trailer blew a tyre on a two lane section of the Bruce Highway, making for a very interesting tyre change. All arrived safely, apart from the blown tyre which was shredded beyond belief.

Now we are in phase two, where Al gets to ply his greater knowledge of the intricacies of Toyota wiring, and his skills in making pieces of pipe go round bends under cars.

Thats it for now. Pictures (if ever) will come later.
    Cheers, Richard

MX83 Cressida Grande - 1JZ-GTE Twin Turbo JZX81 Motor, Fr Suspension in, tailshaft made & installed, bigger fuel pump in, zorst, wiring, fmic done (thanks jzk25) BA rotors R33 Calipers Now REGISTERED going well
    '92 & '94 TF Holden Rodeo 2.8 TurboDiesel 4WDs - Daily Driver regular breaker/backup ute
    MS85 Crown Super Sedan - Farm Car - Running 3rd 4M - Future project
    '66 Jaguar E-Type 4.2 Manual Coupe
    '66 Jaguar S-Type 3.8 Auto Sedan
    - Long Term Jobs

We need pics for verification purposes mate... :)
    The older i get, the better i was...

Comment

also so the smart arses can tell you where you've gone wrong!
      I don't care a damn for your loyalty when you think I am right; when I really want it most is when you think I am wrong.
      Sir John Monash

Comment

His primitive interweb technology wouldn't allow pic uploading so I guess I'll have to do it.
        Bugger all to see yet anyway except half the IC piping and a bunch of wires tucked up above the glove box.
        The wiring came together nicely and it runs well, even did a skid in the workshop sans turbos. :D
        Pics worth looking at tonight.
        David Fraser - Automotive Historian!

Originally posted by bigmuz
        You can't polish a turd but you can put 600hp in it and laugh your fucking arse off coming past someone sideways at Powercruise.

Comment

Here's a couple of pics. Finished the IC piping today. Sorry 56k.

You can't polish a turd but you can put 600hp in it and laugh your fucking arse off coming past someone sideways at Powercruise.

Comment

In the 3rd pic, is that a VK in the backgorund with a IC?

Comment

Looks like a VK with and RB and a turbo. Hmm, you like VKs Ustasa???? You can buy mine mate :D

Comment

That's my VK project. It's a 2JZ with twin Legacy VF10's on steam pipe manifolds. Should be on the road in a decade or so. :cry:
                Haven't put any pics up before because there hasn't been anything to look at.

Comment

Hey all,

I forgive those unbelievers as I am finding it hard to believe myself. Therefore I will resist the temptation to smite you with the spirit of the Cressy. Hmm, its clearly far too late for me to post as I am typing shite.

Oh well, good to see the changes since last night Al, even if downloading the pix took almost as long as driving the 80 kays to see you would have. Okay half as long. Seriously. Bloody rural connections, think I may have to try the old string with two tin cans, might be quicker.

Thats all for now, Al is starting on exhaust, but won't get too far til I source some mufflers etc. Big ups to AL though, I am really happy with what he has done for me.
                  Cheers, Richard

MX83 Cressida Grande - 1JZ-GTE Twin Turbo JZX81 Motor, Fr Suspension in, tailshaft made & installed, bigger fuel pump in, zorst, wiring, fmic done (thanks jzk25) BA rotors R33 Calipers Now REGISTERED going well
                  '92 & '94 TF Holden Rodeo 2.8 TurboDiesel 4WDs - Daily Driver regular breaker/backup ute
                  - Long Term Jobs

Comment

Looks like a VK with and RB and a turbo. Hmm, you like VKs Ustasa???? You can buy mine mate :D
                    $1200 and I'll take it off your hands.

Comment

p.s burn out vids are a treat :) (although who would buy your car after seeing that is beyond me lol)

Comment

$12000, no worries. SOLD :D

No use having a big motor if you don't use it.. It got bigger heads and a much better cam since then. Unfortunately I can't afford to burn another $500 (up here) pair of tyres so no more mental videos :p

Comment

Nice work guys :) Looks like its going to be yet another beast released from Al's giant backyard shed, the shed where beer and horsepower are mixed in perfect quantities to ensure tire shredding automotive success.

Haven't put any pics up before because there hasn't been anything to look at.
                          BS, that thing looks awesome even at this stage! Hopefully the Cressida conversion goes well so you can finish her off one of these days :)
                          10.83 @ 125

Quickest stock exhaust manifold stud 2JZ in Aus.

Originally posted by cracka
                          Some conclusions empirically were that a large protruding ridge like a prolapsed arsehole around the runner was largely beneficial.

Comment

can i suggest some saop and steel wool onto those turbo pipes and intake manifold.

reminds me of when i did my conversion six years ago, bet your big kev excited. i know i was back then

shane
                            1JZ747 Racing

8.37 et PB
                            169 mph PB

Comment

Okay, that's twice now I have typed a long winded reply and had the login screen pop up, so I am going to keep it short and sweet.

Prettying up will wait until car is on the road. I just want to drive it for now.

The big shed truly is a wonderment, long may it provide us with interesting conversions.

At the moment, we are waiting on exhaust components and cooling system parts, and we are moving the battery to the boot, hopefully have some big progress to report after Anzac Day.
                              Cheers, Richard

- Long Term Jobs

Comment

Working...
                              X