Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dual cab diesel utes..... lets thrash this out YO!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dual cab diesel utes..... lets thrash this out YO!

So, carnts.

Dual cab 4WD diesel AUTOMATIC utes in the $55k to $65k bracket. The pipe dream of coughing up for a Raptor lost its sheen after driving one. Puke (for the money. USD$50k is cool, but here landed and converted at over twice that, well... fuck off.)

Coming out of a nice n powerful (v8) 4WD wagon with leather and other associated fruit.
    Looking for good drivability/performace, fuel efficency, feel good factor, towing ability (boats and race cars on trailers etc), reliability, and comfort. Big breadth of wants I know, and I'm astounded no manufacturer seems able to deliver on all fronts.
    So far I've narrowed it down to THREE.... and they are, in alphabetical order;

1. Ford Ranger XLT (because the highest level Wildtrack isn't available for over a year!)
    2. Nissan Navara 550 (top spec leather, sat nav etc)
    3. Volkswagen Amarok (either Highline with options or Ultimate spec)

I've spent time with all three over the past 24 hours and have annoyed myself with how anal and fussy I can be, and I value your carntish thoughts you carnts.

The navaras have engine issues from what I have heard I would go the ranger but don't dismiss the colorado they have abilities and a feel the others don't. Also the bt50 is pretty much the same ute as the ranger same go's for the d-max and colorado.

Comment

Don't the Dmax and Colorado have different engine/gearbox now ?

Comment

BT50 is just too ugly.
        D-Max/Colorado too agricultural.
        Hence these options.

I've not heard of V6 TDi Navara donk issues. Anything solid or ?

Comment

I went in a mates Amarok on the weekend which I told him not to buy because VW's are rubbish. Less than 10k on the clock and its been back to VW a few times to have a couple different issues sorted out which they claimed as "normal" and then windows stopped working without warning halfway through our drive. Awesome.

Comment

The rangers have a few little bugs but nothing major the egr makes a rattle after about 50thou but you can block it off with a plate but you need a hole in the plate to stop the ecu throwing a code.

Comment

go the nissan. its a proven combination, just with a new motor. the ford you will have to put up with the ford service dept, and the volksy isnt that powerful, and quality can be a bit hit n miss.
              Originally posted by Rdyno
              70ynu has to be the most retarded cunt here. "Help me please" me "you need to remove your head" him "fuck off cunt I'm to lazy fuck off out of my thread you told me to do something I don't want to do so you're a cunt fuck off can some one please tell me an easier way???"
              Originally posted by Tripper
              Its a tight battle between you and rogercordia for the most retarded member on here, thou i think you have it by 5 window licks

Comment

The auto Amarok has a great 8 speed auto, so I have been told.

Comment

Didn't someone post up that amaroks are all blowing cylinder heads?

Haven't been in a New ranger, the old ones are very shit/agricultural.

I like my navara and would like a drive of the tdv6 just to see what an extra 30k gets you, I think it would be a good thing (and with tcc off, bit of a skid mobile). Defiantly get the extended warranty just incase though, cheap insurance.
                  Tow car/camping bus: 2011 D40 Navara ST

Baby mobile: 2016 Nissan Qashqai

75 Mini Clubman club racer - DCOE powah

Comment

Originally posted by da9jeff View Post
                    Didn't someone post up that amaroks are all blowing cylinder heads?

Haven't been in a New ranger, the old ones are very shit/agricultural.

I like my navara and would like a drive of the tdv6 just to see what an extra 30k gets you, I think it would be a good thing (and with tcc off, bit of a skid mobile). Defiantly get the extended warranty just incase though, cheap insurance.
                    The nissan tdv6 is a very powerful engine with plenty of torque but I was talking to a couple other mechanics about it when a engine builder said they have problems I heard of pistons being destroyed. I don't know how truthful this is but look at the engines from nissan they are putting out more power with a decreased bore and stroke this can only mean the engine is more stressed.

Example nissan 2.5l 4cyl puts out at more power then any other ute they all run 3l's.

Comment

Originally posted by MRMOPARMAN View Post
                      go the nissan. its a proven combination, just with a new motor. the ford you will have to put up with the ford service dept, and the volksy isnt that powerful, and quality can be a bit hit n miss.
                      If the Ranger sounds as noisy as the BT50 the Mazda dealer picked me up in the other week then I'd be going for the Navara. Mate has a 5yr oldish Navara which gets no love, never skips a beat and is far quieter than the BT50. Honestly that thing did nothing but remind me of the diesel donk sitting up front. Farking annoying on a 5 min drive. I imagine you'd either slash your wrists or be ready to push it off cliff after a year of ownership.

I gotta say though I do read a lot of stories about people having diesel injector issues in the past few years. Doesn't appear to be any particular brand although it does seem more common on the SUV/pick up type vehicles. Is it just our shitty fuel or is there something finicky about the modern DID injector that makes them susceptible to failure, or have the injectors always been an issue that have only really come to light with the current popularity of SUV's/pick ups?
                      Daily - VF SV6. Former daily, now with more up on blocks - S15 200SX. Weekends - 149 EH Holden Special. Project - EH Premier. More schizo than ever!

Comment

Leather in a 4wd

What about the new dual cab cruiser ute? 32-valve V8 turbo-diesel engine with common-rail direct injection and an intercooler.
                        151kW of power at 3400rpm. Peak torque of 430Nm is reached at just 1200rpm and held all the way to 3200rpm

That new v6td in the navara has a fair bit more grunt, 170kW of power at 3750rpm and 550Nm of torque from just 1750rpm.
                        Originally posted by FatBoy
                        Trump v Clinton is like cheering for the clap or genital warts. Either way it's gonna be ugly....

Comment

Originally posted by ButtaS15 View Post
                          If the Ranger sounds as noisy as the BT50 the Mazda dealer picked me up in the other week then I'd be going for the Navara. Mate has a 5yr oldish Navara which gets no love, never skips a beat and is far quieter than the BT50. Honestly that thing did nothing but remind me of the diesel donk sitting up front. Farking annoying on a 5 min drive. I imagine you'd either slash your wrists or be ready to push it off cliff after a year of ownership.

I gotta say though I do read a lot of stories about people having diesel injector issues in the past few years. Doesn't appear to be any particular brand although it does seem more common on the SUV/pick up type vehicles. Is it just our shitty fuel or is there something finicky about the modern DID injector that makes them susceptible to failure, or have the injectors always been an issue that have only really come to light with the current popularity of SUV's/pick ups?
                          The vw golfs get diesel knock real bad so if this worries the op I would assume the amarock would have diesel knock just as bad as the rest of their range including transporters and turegs.

Comment

Ute with a proper hard tonneau.

Buy a Hyundai iLoad crew cab 2.5 TDA
                            Claimed horsepower sceptic.

Comment

I've spent the last 24 hours driving all three back to back.

I had high hopes for the Amarok with the new 8-speed auto. But, despite it's apparently great build quality, awesome looks (subjective I know), and excellent interior, the engine is just too weak. It's very laggy, despite in insistance on starting in 1st gear at any opportunity (I reckon it'd go better if that let it start in 2nd and get up on the converter). Once you get it going its ok, but off the mark its a SLUG and overtaking power at 100 is poor. Very roomy interior, with excellent rear seat comfort. Front seats lack under thigh support though.

Navara... fuck me, what an engine and box! Loadedf spec at this price too. Leather, SatNav, leccy seats, rear camera, the lot. All standard. Poor rear seats and might be the most "dated" design. Bloody impressive driveleine though! Felt at home immediately when driving it. Is that because its Japanese? Everything falls to hand well, except the bloodt volume knob is a real stretch (but there's one on the steering wheel too). Best tie downs in tray by far.

Ranger.... huge step forward from the previous model, but Man, they're EXXY! Top spec WildTrack@ 65k is prob reasonable value given it's loaded (but sold out for over a year! WTF), but XLT @ 60-62k is questionable. 5 cylinder donk a bit rough, and not a stand out power wise. Certainly less lag than VW though. Good auto box (ZF 6 speed) . Poor visibility (large pillars and wing mirrors). Styling a little fussy around the rear?

Comment

Working...
                              X