Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dual cab diesel utes..... lets thrash this out YO!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had Airbag man Airbags in my Grand Cherokee (Coil springs though) and it was brilliant for when i had the caravan hooked up. I have considered getting them for the Dmax as im tossing up that idea with stock soft leafs or going for heavier 300 kilo constant leafs without airbags but not keen on the stiff ride when im not towing. So basically i would say go for it.
    I climbed Mt Druitt

Comment

Originally posted by bigshipengine.jpg View Post
      I had Airbag man Airbags in my Grand Cherokee (Coil springs though) and it was brilliant for when i had the caravan hooked up. I have considered getting them for the Dmax as im tossing up that idea with stock soft leafs or going for heavier 300 kilo constant leafs without airbags but not keen on the stiff ride when im not towing. So basically i would say go for it.
      I think you misunderstood, I already have the bags fitted, but the car now rides like shit and has no suspension travel as the internal bump stop is too tall.

The bump stop issue isn't really anyone's fault and can be resolved, its the first kit in Aus for the new Chevs so I can understand that I'm being the guinea pig.

The harsh ride is what surprised me, I'm just curious if anyone had similar concerns but it seems like you were happy with yours.

Comment

Ah yes ok just reread and all clear now.
        I climbed Mt Druitt

Comment

What pressure are you running in the bags unladen? If I run anything over 5psi unladen in my Challenger it's almost undrivable on slightly rough roads, I'm also running 300kg constant load rear springs as well as the airbags. I'm still considering removing the airbags since I don't have any need for them, they were fitted by the original owner.

Comment

Originally posted by Dimi View Post
            Has anyone has any success with fitting load assist airbags in addition to the leaf in their Utes?

My Silverado came with nice soft "HSV tuned" suspension which makes for comfy ride with no load. Add car trailer and tub full of gear and the is sitting practically at the bump stops stationary and its safely not driveable.

in my head, airbags would allow me to maintain my soft ride unloaded, pump them when all the gear is in the back so i can get the best of both worlds.

So far what its achieved, harsher ride, less overall suspension travel in compression, higher ride height.... That's unloaded. Bag supplier is sending out another bag with no bump stop because of the travel issue. But is this a fuckup on my part expecting to have my cake and eat it with these things?
            Silverado’s have a coil rear end, airbags are relatively simple additions to that setup without any of the attendant risks associated with adding them to leaf sprung setups.

So it does sound like the bag supplier got it well wrong.
            Last edited by Marlin; 03-10-20, 08:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Marlin View Post

Silverado’s have a coil rear end, airbags are relatively simple additions to that setup without any of the attendant risks associated with adding them to leaf sprung setups.

So it does sound like the bag supplier got it well wrong.
              I think you've mixed the Silverado up with the ram mate.
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by irsa76 View Post
                What pressure are you running in the bags unladen? If I run anything over 5psi unladen in my Challenger it's almost undrivable on slightly rough roads, I'm also running 300kg constant load rear springs as well as the airbags. I'm still considering removing the airbags since I don't have any need for them, they were fitted by the original owner.
                20 psi in them which lifts the rear up a bit higher than std so I've got some travel. It's much firmer but it still slaps the bump stops over a bumpy bridge joint in the road with no load on.

​​​​​​5psi was constant bump stop.
                40psi was a pogo stick.

ill see how the 2nd set of bags are, hopefully a drastic improvement

Comment

I think you've mixed the Silverado up with the ram mate.
                  Oh..... my bad.

Comment

Think I'll leave it with no steps.

Don't mention the adBlocker !!

Comment

20 psi in them which lifts the rear up a bit higher than std so I've got some travel. It's much firmer but it still slaps the bump stops over a bumpy bridge joint in the road with no load on.

​​​​​​5psi was constant bump stop.
                      40psi was a pogo stick.

ill see how the 2nd set of bags are, hopefully a drastic improvement
                      20 psi is the maximum for my Polyair bags. Your kit sort of looks like an Airlift kit from the US, which I've heard alot of positive comments about. I'm wondering if the rear springs are actually up to the job, are they 2 main leafs with an overload?

Comment

Originally posted by irsa76 View Post

20 psi is the maximum for my Polyair bags. Your kit sort of looks like an Airlift kit from the US, which I've heard a lot of positive comments about. I'm wondering if the rear springs are actually up to the job, are they 2 main leafs with an overload?
                        Yes i think its an airlift kit as well.

these bags are rated from 5-100psi

And yes^. The leaf's felt too soft for towing or having any real load in standard trim. Not 100% sure but i remember reading somewhere before buying that HSV "tuned" the suspension and I'm not sure if that means soften it so its comfier. If that is the case then I can understand the lack of spring rate and why the USA spec bag kit doesn't pair up well. I am however surprised they would include a bag kit that replaces the factory bump stop assembly with a longer internal one in the bag that effectively reduces your travel, seems odd to me? FWIW the recommended unladen pressure is 20psi which is there i'm at currently.

A different bags going in later in the week, however no bump stop. If its going to be a frame cracker 9000 i'll put the lot in the bin and find a better suited kit.

Comment

Hey Dimi is it a 1500 or 2500 leaf in the back?

Maybe look at the 2500 leaf as a swap out?

Comment

So just picked up a new LDV T60 Trailrider 2 with the 2.0l Turbo Diesel

Yeah, its no ranger, but I was quite surprised when I test drove it, so ordered straight away.

Click image for larger version

Name:	121129634_10157208579781396_1418230972171573756_o.jpg?_nc_cat=100&_nc_sid=de0e5b&_nc_ohc=L9EvJXGlC4AAX8F9UjA&_nc_ht=scontent-syd2-1.xx&tp=6&oh=70c4404bef056745fa4d8c9d3cd6109f&oe=5FA51948.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	274.9 KB
ID:	7184458

Name:	121024512_10157208579891396_994775329014814360_o.jpg?_nc_cat=107&_nc_sid=de0e5b&_nc_ohc=tV_GD99QkpsAX90XdSH&_nc_ht=scontent-syd2-1.xx&tp=6&oh=80d06a428014cf1e913766dfb0422df8&oe=5FA30943.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	321.4 KB
ID:	7184459

Comment

Two of our Isuzu Dmax's arrived early last week.

We traded in our 2017 BT-50's as they were due for new tyres/brakes/major service and were out of warranty.

I had some 17 x 8 satin black Sunraysias fitted and 20% window tint applied within a couple of days to set myself apart from the commoners.

Obviously they are the base model SX single cab variants, but share many features as the premium models. Actually quite surprised how well equipped they are.

Definitely a big step up from the BT50's in quality and refinement, but actually prefer the 3.2L 5 cylinder of the BT over the new 3.0L that the new Dmax and BT50 shares.

The new safety systems are doing my fucking head in.
                              Last edited by Race Spec; 09-10-20, 10:08 AM.
                              Mallala Motorsport Park - 1:11.71 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tY85CK31if8
                              Wakefield Park Raceway - 1:05.31 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PREI-jK4L98
                              Mt. Alma Mile Hill Climb - 41.67 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTmaG8jn3Tw

Comment

Originally posted by 1320ft View Post
                                So just picked up a new LDV T60 Trailrider 2 with the 2.0l Turbo Diesel

Yeah, its no ranger, but I was quite surprised when I test drove it, so ordered straight away.

Name:	121129634_10157208579781396_1418230972171573756_o.jpg?_nc_cat=100&_nc_sid=de0e5b&_nc_ohc=L9EvJXGlC4AAX8F9UjA&_nc_ht=scontent-syd2-1.xx&tp=6&oh=70c4404bef056745fa4d8c9d3cd6109f&oe=5FA51948.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	274.9 KB
ID:	7184458

Name:	121024512_10157208579891396_994775329014814360_o.jpg?_nc_cat=107&_nc_sid=de0e5b&_nc_ohc=tV_GD99QkpsAX90XdSH&_nc_ht=scontent-syd2-1.xx&tp=6&oh=80d06a428014cf1e913766dfb0422df8&oe=5FA30943.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	321.4 KB
ID:	7184459
                                Shame you didnt wait they are coming with a Twin Turbo 2 liter soon instead of the single like these. I think the TT has 160KW instead of the 120 odd Single turbskis.
                                I climbed Mt Druitt

Comment

Working...
                                X