Talk to me about Mud Terrains

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They are good in sand, haven't really worked them hard on rocks or been in mud. Quiet on the road and good in the wet. Good traction on gravel roads at speed, like sweeping corners at 80-100kph and no slip n slide
    They are on my Wildtrak, which is pretty much a tarmac warrior with the odd off-road adventure, albeit if there is potential to scratch the truck I don't drive the track.

STT on my Landcruiser which takes the brunt of my 4WD'ing...

Both are excellent for touring.

Comment

Originally posted by South View Post
      They are good in sand, haven't really worked them hard on rocks or been in mud. Quiet on the road and good in the wet. Good traction on gravel roads at speed, like sweeping corners at 80-100kph and no slip n slide
      They are on my Wildtrak, which is pretty much a tarmac warrior with the odd off-road adventure, albeit if there is potential to scratch the truck I don't drive the track.

STT on my Landcruiser which takes the brunt of my 4WD'ing...

Both are excellent for touring.
      Cheers for the reply. I think tonight thy will go on. It's a mates rig not mine. Will be used for touring a fair bit and daily highway kms. So on road in important, but still want them capable for weekend adventures. There will be a lot of time spent off-road despite it being a daily truck. They will be going on a new truck, so would prefer it doesn't get scratched up too much but will still be going on tracks that have that risk.

The other major contendor was the BFG AT.
      Originally posted by Babalouie
      Geez we're a bunch of softcocks...we have a 911 and we're obsessing over non-functional ducts and indicator colours

Comment

I just got a set of ST Maxx in 275/65 R18 (32 inch) for $440 each, seem pretty good so far.
        Parramatta Eels, 2009 Premiership rightful winners.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyXF View Post
          I just got a set of ST Maxx in 275/65 R18 (32 inch) for $440 each, seem pretty good so far.
          The ones my mate have been running have been great so far
          Originally posted by Babalouie
          Geez we're a bunch of softcocks...we have a 911 and we're obsessing over non-functional ducts and indicator colours

Comment

Has anyone used the new BFG KM3? I just picked up a hilux in need of a new set of 33x12.5r15. Happy to spend $300/corner and looking at options. Pure weekender dont care about noise etc.

Comment

Can't help on km3's, but they don't look overly different to the km2's which i have had awesome experience with. Very strong, grippy and quiet when rotated correctly.

Projects:
              '90 2jz-gte 929
              '02 twin-locked TD42 GU Patrol

Comment

Originally posted by nine2nine View Post
                Can't help on km3's, but they don't look overly different to the km2's which i have had awesome experience with. Very strong, grippy and quiet when rotated correctly.
                Yep I was impressed with the KM2s on my Grand Vitara. I put over 60k on them without rotating them which fucked one of them in the end. I figure for the extra couple of dollars it's worth giving the KM3 a go.

Comment

Iíve got the km3s. If you like the km2 youíll like these.
                  That said Mine were whisper quiet till about 15000 km. Hadnít rotated them and the front two overnight went from quiet to noisy with the typical sawtoothing wear. Put them on the back but going to swap them out to the trailer and replace them.
                  So seems you need to rotate the km3 more than the km2ís I did have

Comment

Originally posted by Tyrie View Post
                    Has anyone used the new BFG KM3? I just picked up a hilux in need of a new set of 33x12.5r15. Happy to spend $300/corner and looking at options. Pure weekender dont care about noise etc.
                    Have just bought 2 for the front in that size, Price was $365 each fitted and balanced, must be cheaper in canberra ???

Comment

Originally posted by Datsunracer68 View Post
                      Have just bought 2 for the front in that size, Price was $365 each fitted and balanced, must be cheaper in canberra ???
                      $325 to my door from tyroola.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyHusseinXF View Post
                        Potentially not the tyres fault, could have been the rim just as easy but these tyres never stayed in balance due to constantly rotating on the wheel.

The Hankooks that I replace them with were good though.

So are the Mickey Thompson Deegan 38 MT in 35x12.5r17 that I run now.

Comment

Originally posted by Datsunracer68 View Post
                          I ordered them today. $355ea fitted and balanced. So same same.

Comment

Check out the Hankook Dynapro MT RT03, brilliant manners on wet roads and great offroad and not crazy expensive

https://www.hankooktire.com/au/passe...o-mt-rt03.html
                            Current Rides:
                            Lexus ISF
                            Familia GT-R
                            Lexus ES300
                            Harley Nightster
                            Husqvarna TE250

Comment

^ heavy

Comment

Not sure if anyone has mentioned it yet but Maxxis are great value and quality. Also, the terrain old mate intends on driving in will make a difference; when I lived in N.E. vic mud terrains were best because the soils were often clay, wet and we also did lots of paddock driving (wet grassy hills). Now I live in the top end there isn't much between a drivable track and bogged the arse where tyre selection is the least effective way of getting out. So all terrains seem to be most popular here because of the long dirt roads.

No need to get neurotic about black round things on the dirt; the difference between one all terrain and another making a difference on a 3t barge going up a dirt track shouldn't matter. And if it did, a competent driver should be able to drive around such an issue.

Comment

Working...
                                X