School me on Porsche Cayenne

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

School me on Porsche Cayenne

As per the title - looking to buy an early Porsche Cayenne S (2004-ish). I want to take the thing off-road and give it hard time in sand etc. Apart from good off-road tyres, what do I need to look out for in potential cars / or modifications?

Plenty of issues well documented with bore coatings on the non turbo 8's.

Comment

i'm about to do the same thing, except a later year model (07-08 and hopefully turbo). there are quite a few cayenne owners on here

pipes in the V being plastic fail, but most have been replaced by now.
      driveshaft (but uncle aka Mike Lowerrryyyy has changed one on the driveway at home without using a jack/hoist)
      according to my mechanic the engines are bulletproof
      my mechanic has done a couple of front diffs, at $6k each... but considering how many Cayennes they service it isn't that bad
      a lot of car for not much money, and with the majority of parts you can pick and choose between Touareg and Cayenne parts whichever is cheaper/easier to get

Porsche wants $100 a litre for gearbox fluid (and there's 8 litres or so) and the manual says 'return to dealer' but it's Esso JWS 3309 underneath. I'm yet to work out what the gearbox oil is but i'm sure it'll be just as easy.

I'm in the process of sorting out a PIWIS too (rather than a durametric) so you can do all the other 'porsche only' fancy stuff

Comment

I've had an 07 V8 for a couple of years. It has spent plenty of time in low 4x4, covered in dust and working hard.
        The off road options (diff locks, skid plates) are meant to be good, but don't come up very often. Mine does fine without them.
        If you want to tow, find one with a tow bar. They're a few thousand $ to fit later...

Comment

Thanks Grungle - I'm curious about the "off-road options" are they something that comes standard on particular models, or is it completely optional?

Comment

All options I think. I looked for a few months and they never came up. A few said they did, but when I asked a few more questions they said they 'assumed' it had diff locks.
            I don't know what this guy's story is, but this has been for sale for at least 12 months. It doesn't seem to have the option packs, but he has dropped a hell of a lot of money into it.
            http://<br /> https://www.carsales.c...SSE-AD-3510200

Although, I think the air suspension is standard on the S and turbos.

Comment

PB1, PB2, PB3 and PB4 are the codes for the off road packs, they're options. I'll check next time if PET has the actual parts list for them

PB1 = Includes Hydraulically disconnectable front and rear off road stabilizer bars, electronically controlled rear axle differential lock, rocker panel protection with integrated skid plates, reinforced engine skid plate, headlamp washer system, second tow lug, and additional protection for the fuel tank and rear axle. (Use this code when Bi-Xenon lamps and Off-Road Design package are not desired).

page 22:
              http://www.laneholloway.com/wp-conte...ne_s_turbo.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by Grungle View Post
                All options I think. I looked for a few months and they never came up. A few said they did, but when I asked a few more questions they said they 'assumed' it had diff locks.
                I don't know what this guy's story is, but this has been for sale for at least 12 months. It doesn't seem to have the option packs, but he has dropped a hell of a lot of money into it.
                http://<br /> https://www.carsales....SSE-AD-3510200

Although, I think the air suspension is standard on the S and turbos.
                I saw that car a while ago. In fact, that is what inspired me!

I've looked at a few S models and not all had the air suspension installed. These were 2003-2004 models though. All the Turbo ones I've seen have had it.

Comment

It wasn't uncommon at the first service (20k km) to replace front brakes (with the rear brakes getting low) and for all the tyres to be replaced.
                  They are pretty thirsty too, that shouldn't be a surprise though.
                  The dealership I worked at gave Cayenne customers a free guided 4wd day in the blue mountains and a couple of us went out to help in case anything went wrong. I was totally blown away by how capable they are just in standard trim/road tyres etc.
                  If you can afford to keep tyres and brakes up to it go for it.

Comment

Okay folks - had a look at a 2005 Turbo today.

I only had time to have a quick look over it. It doesn't have the factory off-road pack, but does have the air suspension & center diff lock thing. I take it that this is pretty standard, but will the stock setup (albeit with better tires) be capable of getting off-road or should I try and hold out for the off-road pack?

Comment

I recently bought a 2009 diesel. I love it, gets low 7L/100kms on the highway and has the steel suspension so should be less maintenance than air.
                      I'm thinking of putting some Rally/Dakar type wheels on it and some more aggressive AT tyres for shits and giggles.

Comment

As an update, I ended up getting a 2006 955 Cayenne Turbo. I've had it for about a year now and it has been awesome. Recently changed over to off-road wheels and tyres and have done some basic 4wd'ing with it.

Comment

Good to hear! They are a lot of car for the money (used).

Comment

Originally posted by Berty View Post
                            As an update, I ended up getting a 2006 955 Cayenne Turbo. I've had it for about a year now and it has been awesome. Recently changed over to off-road wheels and tyres and have done some basic 4wd'ing with it.
                            Gotta say I have found myself perusing the Turbos on Carsales and I'm stunned by what you can buy for a relatively small amount of coin.
                            Glad to read you've had a good run.

Comment

Amazing that something with so much on-road performance can go off-road too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              Japanese Nostalgic Car - Dedicated to classic japanese cars

Comment

Working...
                              X