School me on Porsche Cayenne

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stix Zadinia View Post
    2003 Porsche Cayenne S Automatic Wagon Auction (0001-7784353) | Grays Australia

already up to 6k with a day to go
    low coolant warning, and the centre console has been removed to overcome the shift lockout
    no service records but low KM's
    That seems like a potentially very expensive way to get one...

Comment

As we all know I’m sitting out the COVID tax price bump of 958 GTS and Turbos, but still watching the market.

A 2012 turned up in the “unicorn” spec that I want and amazingly it had a current Porsche Factory warranty that had been extended from new.

Now it’s about $20k above what would have been the asking price for a 2011 of similar spec last year (aka trying to compare same/same in terms of age). There’s no way I’m paying the listed price for this ($80k) but I’m also starting to accept that sooner or later a car will come up that meets our want list and if it’s in the budget

Anyway is the factory warranty (held since new and extended at $$) a worthwhile thing to pay a premium for? Both nopics and I see it as a way of assuring a service history and for us at least a period of breathing space to deal with some of the foibles of the models (coolant pipes, transfer case, drive shaft bearing/bush and engine mounts) if someone’s not been as observant of this issues as we would be.

Obviously if it’s a $5k buy price premium and $5k to extend if it’s only got a short time remaining then we’d be looking at other cars, but it’s not like there’s more than 30 on the market at any one time (across turbos and GTS at the moment)

For what it’s worth our unicorn list (some are standard Turbo features and options for the GTS which can make the list seem “odd”):
      - Black on Black or White on Black
      - Passenger Seat Memory, 12? Way adjustment option for both.
      - Heated Seats (Front no fucks for rear)
      - Multifunction wheel
      - Roof Rails
      - Tow bar

The latter two are nice to have, tow bar is a easy retrofit, roof bars are factory fit only so nice to have. Some of the luggage compartment rail options are nice but so rare for people to have species those.

Last year I passed over 4 different Turbos that met the must have list for $57-$70k ... now a bare bones GTS is more like $70k FML.
      ---
      Shed Project: 1994 Laser Lynx with BP-T

Comment

I'm not sure what your local dealer is like, my car had only ever been serviced at the dealer when I got it, and the tabs holding the airflow meters on had been snapped off.

A mate of mine with a 997 had a factory warranty up until recently, the covered a gearbox replacement so that sort of paid for itself. I'd get the warranty and go over everything before it finishes and get any work done that's required.

Comment

Originally posted by Stix Zadinia View Post
          2003 Porsche Cayenne S Automatic Wagon Auction (0001-7784353) | Grays Australia

already up to 6k with a day to go
          low coolant warning, and the centre console has been removed to overcome the shift lockout
          no service records but low KM's
          Went for $7609 which could be a bargin, or the start of a very, very big moneypit.

Comment

Every day I see retail customers pay a lot of money for something that would have been covered 100% under warranty if they had extended it.

Name me another manufacture that allows there product to have up to 15 years or 200k factory warranty. It's a pretty good deal if you do a lot of Kms or just want trouble free piece of mind.

Comment

Working...
            X