Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Grungle View Post
    I happen to be selling my '07 Cayenne S right now. Has all-terrains.

I went through the same musings, and although I wasn't going to kit it out like you, I wanted the one that was least likely to leave me stranded off road. Although I haven't done a lot of off road in it, the Cayenne is super capable, and has surprised a lot of staunch Toyota crew that I came across in some pretty remote places for work. I specifically didn't want an aging euro TD though - the small saving in fuel economy would be smashed if anything ever went wrong with it. And the 4.8L V8 in the Cayenne isn't bad on fuel - I get 10.5L/100km on the highway and 13-14L/100 driving across the city (because Adelaide?).

Rightly or wrongly, I discounted the others because:
    Q7 - Too big. No low range? Don't need 7 seats.
    ML - Not great off road? Questionable reliability, or was that the MLs?
    Touareg - Would have been next on my list, but not available with a V8

I also wanted air suspension (standard on Cayenne S) and a tow bar, which is hard to find on GLs and Cayennes, and a massive cost to retrofit.

I looked for a few months to find a Cayenne with an off-road pack/lockers and nothing came up. Do the GLs/Q7s even have them as an option?

I didn't actually drive any of them before I bought the Cayenne (I didn't even drive that before I bought it!), but the Cayenne appeared to be the best all-rounder from the reviews I read, and it has done the right thing by me for the last 3 years.
    Hoemuchizit?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Comment

the the absolute biggest thing i would be looking for is which model/s you can fit proper rated recovery points to the front and rear, because the factory tie down points are unsafe for the loads a winch or snatch strap will place on them and people regularly die from using dodgy recovery points.

if you have a towbar fitted then the rear will probably accept a receiver hitch... but all of those things have low-hanging front bars and i don't think anyone makes "real" bullbars for them so i suspect you'll struggle to find proper front recovery points. i have snatched out a VW touareg on straddie and a Merc GLS (i think?? longer than a ML) on fraser and both times i had to put the strap over a suspension arm. i told the owners what i was doing and if they were really really really sure they wanted to risk bending the suspension.... but when the tide is coming in they don't have much choice. from a quick google i think the touareg might have some options - i found some saffas talking about getting them custom made in cape town, so maybe you could get a local shop to knock something up for you?? but to me that'd be key - no recovery points, no taking it off road.

second thing i'd be looking for is availability of under body bash plates to replace the flimsy plastic aero trims underneath the car. they always fill up with sand, contribute to the car getting stuck and then they get torn off when the vehicle is being recovered.

and final thing - you always see private school boys taking dad's euro 4wd out from their elegant six-bedroom holiday on straddie for a burn down main beach. when they get home i reckon the closest the hose comes to the vehicle underbody is when the boys are loading up the gatorade saxaphone..... dad probably doesn't even know it's been on the beach. so when you're looking for one pay very close attention for rust, cuz i reckon most of them have been on the beach but have never been properly washed.

Comment

new disco.
        I'M NOT A HOOKER BUT 20 BUCKS IS 20 BUCKS...

I am junkie for swedish high quality shitboxes. my latest fix is this...

robslothyoung - follow me on insta.

Comment

This:

Originally posted by Skompa View Post
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]100684[/ATTACH]
          Or a Defender if you don't need as much luxury.

Comment

Disco 3 for sure.

I climbed Mt Druitt

Comment

Originally posted by landbarge View Post
              Hoemuchizit?

Sorry, just saw this. $30k. Just got a new battery, the approximate size and weight of a small moon.

Comment

Do you live in WA? Do you have a build thread or link to sales ad?

Comment

Originally posted by landbarge View Post
                  Do you live in WA? Do you have a build thread or link to sales ad?

I'm in SA.
                  https://www.carsales.com.au/private/...016.1485314455

Comment

the correct answer is V8 100 series (I got a facelift sahara for around your price).

the less correct answer is Discovery

the wrong answer is VAG group.

Oo___oO

Comment

Volkswagen Audi Group group?

Comment

Bullet Cars - Supercharger Kits Toyota  Landcruiser 100 Series
                        http://www.bulletcars.com/supercharg...er-system.html

Comment

200KW at the wheels? There taking the piss shirley?

I climbed Mt Druitt

Comment

The towrags are cheaper than cheap. There's a reasonable looking one for $3k.

Eg Check out this Volkswagen Touareg.

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/...SSE-AD-4761478
                            Originally posted by thebluerx7
                            The fact they want to ban cash makes me want to go out and use it full time again now .

Comment

At $6k, even if it dies an 'orrible death not long after, I think it'd be worth it?

No, wait... it's only 6cyl auto... my bad

| 1963 RK43 Toyota Lite-Stout (Stanley) | 2002 EC5W Mitsubishi Legnum VR-4 Type-S (Larry) |

Comment

Originally posted by Nitephyre View Post
                                At $6k, even if it dies an 'orrible death not long after, I think it'd be worth it?

No, wait... it's only 6cyl auto... my bad
                                Flame suite on (I realise there's likely slight motor differences plus another 600kg)

Originally posted by thebluerx7
                                The fact they want to ban cash makes me want to go out and use it full time again now .

Comment

Working...
                                X