ZD30 - Pin fell out of the Grenade

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd lean towards the 4.8, with or without boost.

Comment

Arent LSA's cheap for what you get?
      Barra's are great at low down torque. An FG XR6T motor with the smaller turbo would be the go but still makes good power with the usual mods.
      Why does anyone but a Patrol with a ZD30 anyway given how well known there explodyness is?
      I climbed Mt Druitt

Comment

Originally posted by bigshipengine.jpg View Post
        Why does anyone but a Patrol with a ZD30 anyway given how well known there explodyness is?
        Because they're so cheap. A guy I know who's not good with cars just replaced a Volvo and a Micra with two auto ZD30 patrols, on gas. I drove one of his for a few Kay's with a trailer full of gravel and wanted to pull over and top myself.

Comment

They don't all blow up. I know of a couple that are trucking along just fine with 250k+on them.

Slow as fuck, but so was a standard TD42

Comment

Originally posted by aerobrick View Post
            Because they're so cheap. A guy I know who's not good with cars just replaced a Volvo and a Micra with two auto ZD30 patrols, on gas. I drove one of his for a few Kay's with a trailer full of gravel and wanted to pull over and top myself.
            Why would you waste money putting putting gas on a diesel, especially a zd30?

Projects:
            '90 2jz-gte 929
            '02 twin-locked TD42 GU Patrol

Comment

Coincidentally the only two people I've known with early zd30's have both had 360k km and 380k km on them respectively and both on original motors. Both oldies from out west that didn't even know there was meant to be issues with them when I brought it up.

Projects:
              '90 2jz-gte 929
              '02 twin-locked TD42 GU Patrol

Comment

Originally posted by nine2nine View Post
                Why would you waste money putting putting gas on a diesel, especially a zd30?
                😂😂😂 Clearly my morning hangover has far more powerful than I realised. His are the old petrol shitbox. Much apologies for 'tarding up the thread

Comment

So any idea which way you're going to go with this yet?
                  I climbed Mt Druitt

Comment

a12 on dellortos.
                    Originally posted by Marv
                    Only be concerned if that Dunning-Kruger Motorsports bloke is there and goes all Captain Damphands McGigglefingers on you after a couple of lemon squashes....

I'M NOT A HOOKER BUT 20 BUCKS IS 20 BUCKS...

robslothyoung - follow me on insta.

Comment

Originally posted by psi999 View Post
                      Gen IV 4.8/5.3 has the good rods. Open up ring gaps, chuck a set of head gaskets, springs, cheap cam and try and keep the power under 1500hp on E85.
                      Nine2nine was talking about tb48 motors, not 4.8 LSs.

+1 for barra. There is a page dedicated to barra patrols on Facebook. They go hard.
                      Originally posted by Rdyno
                      70ynu has to be the most retarded cunt here. "Help me please" me "you need to remove your head" him "fuck off cunt I'm to lazy fuck off out of my thread you told me to do something I don't want to do so you're a cunt fuck off can some one please tell me an easier way???"
                      Originally posted by Tripper
                      Its a tight battle between you and rogercordia for the most retarded member on here, thou i think you have it by 5 window licks

Comment

Didn't someone have a 20B looking for a home?
                        I'm not straight outta Compton, I'm straight out the trailer.

Comment

Originally posted by bigshipengine.jpg View Post
                          So any idea which way you're going to go with this yet?
                          Plan at the moment is LS1 with adaptor plate to the RE4 auto that is in it.
                          Modified valve body on the auto plus TC modfied for lower stall, etc.

Ball park 10K conversion - depends on how much I end up buying vs making.

While a Barra turbo 'may' be better, the LS1 will be less work and sound better
                          I don't think the cost will be any different and can always go boost if needed later.

As much as it would be great to do a 'cool' project, I would rather spend money on the Commodore/motorsport.

The aim of this is to be able to tow the campervan and car trailer reliably - hopefully slightly faster than the ZD30 without using too much extra fuel.

I like the simplicity of NA in this application and the auto should make up for any 'off idle' torque issues.

If I don't like it, then I can sell it and probably recoup the conversion cost and do something else
                          Race Car: VT Commodore (Murray)
                          www.vsport.com.au

Comment

Why the low stall?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            GU Patrol L98, Manualised Auto, 35s, Kings etc
                            VF2 Redline Ute
                            E36 Track Nugget Project

'98 Honda XR600R / '00 Kawasaki ZX-12R / '08 Honda CRF450R Supermoto / '09 KTM RC8R / '10 KTM RC8R (Broken Frame)

Comment

Originally posted by SuperHoon View Post
                              Why the low stall?
                              ZD30 stall is about 2500, LS! is about 1800 I believe.
                              The guy I was speaking with does quite a few transmissions for LS1 conversions, so i figure he has sussed it out already.
                              Race Car: VT Commodore (Murray)
                              www.vsport.com.au

Comment

ZD30 - Pin fell out of the Grenade

Originally posted by GAZ914 View Post
                                Plan at the moment is LS1 with adaptor plate to the RE4 auto that is in it.
                                Modified valve body on the auto plus TC modfied for lower stall, etc.

Ball park 10K conversion - depends on how much I end up buying vs making.

While a Barra turbo 'may' be better, the LS1 will be less work and sound better
                                I don't think the cost will be any different and can always go boost if needed later.

As much as it would be great to do a 'cool' project, I would rather spend money on the Commodore/motorsport.

The aim of this is to be able to tow the campervan and car trailer reliably - hopefully slightly faster than the ZD30 without using too much extra fuel.

I like the simplicity of NA in this application and the auto should make up for any 'off idle' torque issues.

If I don't like it, then I can sell it and probably recoup the conversion cost and do something else
                                Before you commit to the stock auto with different converter etc I would check out the options and prices of changing to a 6L80 auto. They do make transfer adapters for that trans. 6 speed trans will be better for towing, provide better fuel economy and 4:1 first gear through an auto is going to be epic off-road.

As you said it will be 10k for the convention, if it cost the same or a little more for a result thatís twice as good itís worth researching. In theory the 6L80 will be much better and my experience with the new Denali indicates that you will get more fuel economy from the gearbox than the engine. However I have no practical experience with the 6L80 with as LS in a patrol other than the fact I know they make the adaptor. If I was in your situation I would be researching.

The 6L80 ratios

RE4

So you get a much lower first gear for off-road, a much better spread of gears, more torque to the ground from standstill to highway speed, more torque to the ground while off-roading, a better cruising gear and less jump between each gear, if you have bigger tires this will really effect your fuel economy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                Originally posted by Babalouie
                                Geez we're a bunch of softcocks...we have a 911 and we're obsessing over non-functional ducts and indicator colours

Comment

Working...
                                X